U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM

949 posts, read 345,407 times

Advertisements

Those of us here in Australia who love travelling will endure the twenty-two hour one stop flights to Europe because we have to! We notice as friends get into their seventies they may stick to places closer to home. Those who really enjoy travelling are usually grounded by the travel insurance becoming either too expensive or unavailable, usually some time after eighty.

I usually say no more long flights after each trip. It may take another couple of months before I give in and book the next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

991 posts, read 611,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering if sitting on a plane is difficult for you or if you haven't noticed any difference in your travels with age.

I don't like flying for more than five or six hours, which is a problem because I want to go to Europe and I would love to go back to Asia, but I am not going to sit for that long.

The European trip might work if I take a red-eye and can sleep all night (not sure if this is possible).

What about you?

6 hours is about my flying limit too. Two years ago we booked a cruise that was departing from Barcelona which is a 9 hour flight from my nearest airport Logan in Boston. Instead of doing a direct to Barcelona we took a flight to Paris which was a little over 6 hours, then caught 2.5 hour flight to Barcelona. We had upgraded economy seats on Air France which didn't cost that much more but gave some nice leg room. On our return flight we got upgraded to Business class, and those seats actually turn into beds. I was out like a light the minute we took off and my SO stayed awake the entire flight watching movies and drinking French wine and eating pate. Needless to say I had to drive us home from the airport.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

6,371 posts, read 5,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I used to fly 10-12 times a year when I was working and always worried about blood clots. I don't have good circulation in my lower legs and have a family history of strokes. Also have never been a napper and cannot sleep in an upright position so I get fidgety during flights. To address these issues, I bring reading material or electronic games, take an aspirin before flights, get an aisle seat and go to the restroom at least once, and exercise my feet and legs once an hour or so while sitting or standing in the aisle. Living in flyover country and not having a major airport in my city, my longest flights are generally 2-3 hours with a connecting flight. So I walk a lot in the airport at my connection. I avoid one stop flights where you cannot get off the plane. It is nice to know that compression stockings are not that important because these are uncomfortable.

I have not been on international travel except Canada so do not know how I will handle it. Most likely I will pay extra to get some intermediate class seating where I can at least elevate my feet. If the seat reclines enough, I could probably sleep. My understanding is that first class is very pricey but some airlines offer other upgrade options.
I didn't think the compression socks i used were uncomfortable. Is there a difference between socks and stockings?

The ladies that i've exercised and run with wear compression tights - they haven't ever said anything bad about them. They use them religiously.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,805,257 times
Yes, there's a limit to how long I can sit on a plane.

Usually the owner comes along and yells at me to get the heck off.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

10,827 posts, read 8,094,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Which is the question: Is there a limit as you get older? OR Do you dislike sitting longer as you get older?

NOBODY likes sitting on planes.

Also, as a person gets older, their values change so the pain of sitting may be the same but maybe the desire is less to the trade off results in not going. Or, it could be the opposite, the desire is more but the pain is more but you'd still go even if it hurts more.
^^^ This. At 70, I'm still limber and spry enough that I can sit or not sit for hours without experiencing any adverse physical effects.
But I choose not to subject myself to all the insanity involved in extended air travel these days. ymmv.

Old Today, 12:02 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,536,094 times
Clemencia, I find compression stockings to be very tight, constricting, warm, and hard to put on. Also they sometimes start to roll down my shin. I have not tried compression socks.

Old Today, 12:33 AM

39,626 posts, read 47,908,804 times
No matter how you travel, auto/bus/truck or airplane, after sitting for a long period of time you can get blood clots. You need to get up and walk frequently to keep proper circulation.
Here is some good information about the subject...
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/travel.html

Old Today, 01:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,708 posts, read 40,113,239 times
17 hr flts + connections for me several times / yr. (Economy coach)

Have not used compression socks yet, but can be very wise to do.

Flying is not much different than driving a car long distances. (tight leg room, uncomfortable seats)
My car will go 1250 miles between fuel stops... that is ~20 - 24 hrs at a whack.

My trucks will only go 12 hrs between stops, but they are very comfortable / encourage good posture, not like a slumpy car...
(Air ride suspension seats, BIG horizontal steering wheels, and lots of leg room / ways to stretch out.)

Flying is when I catch up on sleep. 30 + yrs of night shift + Dairy Farm boarding school as a kid + truck-driver + yappy neighbor dogs means I have YEARS of sleep to catch up on. I am often OUT before we push back from gate and sometimes do not even wake-up @ 'Wheels down'.

Old Today, 01:46 AM

118 posts, read 16,447 times
I LOVE long flights when we've been able to upgrade to business class with lie-flat beds. When we do that I wish the flight was longer!

But the majority of the time it's economy (and some airlines are much better than others). I can't sleep on a plane unless it's in business. Worst flight every year is our annual visit to the US. Fine on the way there as it's daytime. But on the way home we fly all night and I'm tired but can't sleep.

When in economy I get up often and just stand. Longest I've ever been on one flight is 14 hours - Melbourne to Dubai - and it was economy. Torture. Most of our flights now are max of 8 1/2 hours (US), and our trips to Thailand are 7 hours, spend the night in hotel, then 7 hours, then 1 hour.

I'm 67.

Old Today, 01:50 AM

4,461 posts, read 2,639,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I bought compression socks for myself and two siblings the last time we flew. We were going to be in airports all day.

They really helped. They still use theirs whenever they are going anywhere that requires a lot of sitting

The socks were not plain white socks, but had a nice design. I found them on TravelSmith online catalog.
Ive had 21 surgeries.

They usually give you compression stockings, and sometimes inflatable "boots" ( hooked to a machine that inhales/exhales into the boots), and we save them, bring them hone and wash them.

My OH had a hernia repair surgery andgot a pr for my OH s skinny legs, so we kept those too.

Afterall you or your insurance company is paying for those compression stockings!

Freebies compared to the $30-50/pr the pharmacy was asking!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or