U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

5,021 posts, read 1,906,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Where on earth did you get the idea that cruise ships have dirty carpets ??? Like hotels cruise lines and ships can be a 5 star experience or a 1 star experience depending on what you are willing to pay for that experience.

We have been on 15 cruises and heading out on our 16th this coming February. On all our cruises we have never stayed in any cabin category below a mini-suite which means you have a living space with a couch along with a decent sized balcony; some bigger some smaller. We eat most of our dinners in specialty restaurants from Italian to French along with very nice steak restaurants and we are willing to pay extra for that experience. Unlike hotels where you may see the maid in the morning only, on cruise ships you have a cabin steward who is pretty much always around to meet your needs from refilling your ice bucket to getting you extra towels and their cleaning duties rarely stop.

In reality cruise ships are floating resorts and the bigger more bells and whistles ones have everything from ice shaking rinks to bowling alleys as well as quiet libraries and coffee shops to meet the needs for the more sedate crowd. And most cruise ships have pretty impressive spas if that is your thing, and it certainly is mine which is where I spend most of my 1st sea day while my SO if off playing Trivia or attending some lecture.

I can honestly say I never had a bad cruise experience, and any small issue that ever came up was quickly remedied and forgotten but the wonderful memories of seeing the glaciers in Alaska, going through the Panama Canal, leaving the port of NYC passing Lady Liberty, and all other beautiful places we have visited by sea are memories that still bring a smile to my face and last a lifetime.

If before I cruised I had listened to and taken to heart all the propaganda from the cruise bashers I would have missed out on some wonderful cruise experiences and additionally meeting so many great people from all over the world.

You will never know if cruising isn't your thing unless you try it for yourself.
Thank you. What cruise line(s) do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

22,089 posts, read 14,501,785 times
I can fly for a few hours at a time. But I have painful knees and feet, and when I get up after a flight, I have pain. I do it, but I don't think I want to do it for a long, international flight, and certainly not in economy class.

I am 72.

I flew this past May. Everything turned out OK.

I do try to fly business or first class. I know it is expensive, but it is easier on me.

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

5,021 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Our flight was 14 hours across the Atlantic and while it was not "fun", it was not terrible. I can stand some discomfort in economy for the vast savings. We got free wine on Lufthansa and though I can't sleep on a plane, I watched 3 movies and read my Kindle. I never got up, though I should have, probably...

It's worth the trade-off to experience Europe.

I will say, crossing the Atlantic by cruise ship is vastly preferable. But that was a one-way deal. Talk about a luxurious, relaxing way to travel! (we are 64)
What cruise line did you use?

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 5,670 times
From Denver, I fly to Bulgaria for business. (I know, I know, lucky me.) The flight is not bad, even in coach, but the jet lag is a bear as I get older.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

19,964 posts, read 18,960,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It is maddening when someone conflates the Carnival experience with Seabourn or Silverseas or Crystal.

Spoiler alert: There are no dirty carpets on better cruise lines. The ship is cleaned relentlessly, inside and out. They even have machines that clean cabin window exteriors so you get a spotless view. Your cabin is serviced by your steward or stewardess twice a day. Pay a little more and a butler will unpack your clothes and perform any other services you might require.

I don't know of any more luxurious way to travel but you have to be prepared to pay for it. If you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.
I am not rich so when I took a cruise it was budget but it was not unpleasant. It was wonderful. We didn't care about spending much time in the room so we booked a small inside room on a lower deck (less rocking down low in the ship and we made sure we weren't directly under a kitchen or dancing area like there would be on the upper decks.)

Our little room had everything we needed including tv, fridge (ordered it extra), lots of storage, cute bathroom--we were not looking for a resort experience. We are the type who like a bit of adventure and exploring the ship satisfied that urge. We got in a lot of walking on that magnificent ship, enjoyed beautiful meals in a very pretty dining room, got breakfast in bed, lunch at the buffet that is open to the sea air.

The ship was spotless, had a few swimming pools, had everything you could ever want, in fact. Anything we wanted, we just asked our room steward. Our across the hall neighbor who was a very experienced cruiser, told us he now booked a room like ours, no need to pay extra for balconies and other extras. He said this was the best and quietest part of the ship.

My dream has always been to cross the Atlantic on a real ocean liner. You can do that more economically by getting a repositioning cruise but that's never worked out for me. I would have to line up a flight from here to Florida--it's the flight that's the expensive and unpleasant part. I used to stand on the dock in NYC when I was a kid and wave good bye to my gram as she sailed off to England on the Queen Mary. That's why I always wanted to cross the Atlantic by ocean liner.

BTW, we used Royal Caribbean and it was fine. You don't have to take some overpriced line that mostly just gives you bragging rights. Royal Caribbean was wonderful and economically priced too. If you want booze and gambling, you can pay extra and get it. If you want soda, you pay extra for the "soda package." We didn't want any of that. We didn't care to eat in their pizza house or their steak house either--can do that at home. We were perfectly content with the salt air, the beautiful ship, delicious meals, the ongoing entertainment, the feeling of being out on the open ocean, getting waited on hand and foot, and to come "home" at night to our little room. It's VERY relaxing.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

7,859 posts, read 4,812,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And I take UnCruise, with ships carrying under 100 passengers. No butler, no chandeliers, just up close and personal with nature and no add-on charges for every little thing. Alcohol and all expeditions included although I once paid $120 for snorkeling in waters off Alaska because they provided a substantial wet suit (plus gloves, helmet, etc.- I looked like Jacques Cousteau). VERY unpretentious.
There's nothing pretentious about wanting a luxury experience and being both willing and able to pay for it.

The cruise lines I mentioned are all-inclusive.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 5,318,126 times
For long trips I now spring for premium economy, which offers significantly improved comfort, some sleep, and acceptable price. Of course I would prefer lie-flat business class but I don't often have enough miles for that.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

12,127 posts, read 5,199,282 times
When I was a kid, my family took an ocean liner from New York to Naples. I don't know how those old ocean liners compare to cruise ships but it was fabulous. I grew up in a middle class home with no luxuries. We had a small newer home and an old car, never went out to eat.

It was like living like a king for over a week. The food was all you could eat any time you wanted it. There were constant games, dancing every night for adults with live bands. Glamour was everywhere. I felt like I was living in a palace.

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

7,859 posts, read 4,812,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When I was a kid, my family took an ocean liner from New York to Naples. I don't know how those old ocean liners compare to cruise ships but it was fabulous. I grew up in a middle class home with no luxuries.

It was like living like a king for over a week. The food was all you could eat, there were constant games, dancing every night for adults. I felt like I was living in a palace.

Do you remember the name of the liner?

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

12,127 posts, read 5,199,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Do you remember the name of the liner?
Yes, I'll never forget. It was the Italian liner Raffaello. It was the sister ship of the Michelangelo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or