U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 PM

2,278 posts, read 784,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's nothing pretentious about wanting a luxury experience and being both willing and able to pay for it.

The cruise lines I mentioned are all-inclusive.
I agree. Just not my style and I'm happy that alternatives exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 AM

6,048 posts, read 2,942,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
From Denver, I fly to Bulgaria for business. (I know, I know, lucky me.) The flight is not bad, even in coach, but the jet lag is a bear as I get older.
We recently needed to book a flight from Europe to USA at end of summer, and after some searching found that Sofia to Washington DC worked best for us with combination of price and flight. So we've arranged to end up in Turkey at end of August, then can take a bus to Bulgaria.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:04 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,104,037 times
Just a friendly reminder from your mod, the thread is about plane travel, not cruises. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM

5,880 posts, read 4,896,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Interesting. Sounds like you had a great experience.

I am not one who likes the kind of entertainment you mentioned - maybe if it was some kind of workshop cruise with a topic of interest I might like it. I was just wondering how best to get to Europe without sitting for 10 hours or whatever it is!
To try to stay on topic, cruising is just a totally different experience than flying, which is more about just getting from point A to point B. Cruising is about enjoying the luxury, relaxing, and having fun. I wouldn't cruise if I was in a hurry to get somewhere, and I don't really see it as an alternative to a long flight. They're not really interchangeable, because in many cases you end up having to fly back to where you started the cruise, unless it's a circular cruise route, which many shorter cruises are.

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-29-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 08:32 AM

2,243 posts, read 1,379,209 times
I don't know why this would be an issue. Nobody stops you from standing up or walking down the aisle, or standing by the bathroom periodically during the flight.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 AM

2,278 posts, read 784,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I don't know why this would be an issue. Nobody stops you from standing up or walking down the aisle, or standing by the bathroom periodically during the flight.
I love window seats and one of the drawbacks is that if you have to go to the bathroom you have to disturb the people between you and the aisle. Some may be sleeping, eating or working on the computer. Of course I use the bathroom before I get on the plane and if the person in the middle or aisle seat gets up, I do, too. Oh, yeah- there's also the drink cart in the aisle. (Not that I want them to get rid of the drink cart- they've gotten rid of almost everything else.)

And don't forget that due to TSA regs, they get a little jumpy if too many people are "congregating" in the aisle. So, even if you get an aisle seat you have some constraints.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 AM

13,555 posts, read 6,467,210 times
You step over people even in business class seats.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:51 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,144,978 times
You couldn't get me on an airplane for love or money. Ok, maybe enough money. Well, maybe if enough love.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 1,952,167 times
I'm restless and fidget around quite a bit. An aisle seat is greatly preferred in order to get up regularly. Flights from Seattle to East Coast or Hawaii are tolerable and cause no real hardship but I certainly don't enjoy sitting on a plane that long. OTOH, I consider the discomfort well worth it!

Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 PM

31,989 posts, read 20,169,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I'm restless and fidget around quite a bit. An aisle seat is greatly preferred in order to get up regularly. Flights from Seattle to East Coast or Hawaii are tolerable and cause no real hardship but I certainly don't enjoy sitting on a plane that long. OTOH, I consider the discomfort well worth it!
That's the thing, for most, it's not a matter of "can't", it's a matter of "don't want to."

Nothing wrong with either. It's a choice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or