U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:34 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,070,967 times

Advertisements

Houston to Taipei - 16.5 hours nonstop (3 hour layover, then 2.5 hours on to Manila). I'm 54. I took that flight 4x in 2017, 2x last year, and i'm going again in January.

I like to fly this long haul red-eye style. After we eat, i usually relax with a few movies, then drift off to sleep. This "sleep" lasts for about 3-4 hours then i'm kinda awake/asleep for the rest of the time.

I like an aisle seat alllll the way in the back of the plane on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (the closer the weekend, the more packed the flight seems to be). I dub the back of the plane the "chill out zone" because it's mostly adults (YMMV) and everyone likes to cram the front. Many times, there are a few empty rows I can ease into and stretch out. Since I make it a point to be one of the last ones on, I can quickly scan for empty rows so I can grab one asap (before someone else does lol)

I also like the back because there is an exit door near the bathroom which curves out a little, making a small area to do some air squats, windmills, touching toes, etc. I've done 5-10 minute "mini stretching workouts" back there. I get up about every hour (when i'm not sleeping).

If I get stuck on a full plane, at least I can console myself with my aisle seat lol (plus the window seat people are kind of relieved because i'm up and about)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:52 PM

2,317 posts, read 591,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering if sitting on a plane is difficult for you or if you haven't noticed any difference in your travels with age.

I don't like flying for more than five or six hours, which is a problem because I want to go to Europe and I would love to go back to Asia, but I am not going to sit for that long.

The European trip might work if I take a red-eye and can sleep all night (not sure if this is possible).

What about you?
Me too. I was on the transatlantic flight in United's Polaris Class (1st class) -- it is a lay-flat "pod." You can sleep in it fine. The food wasn't up to snuff - they served a hamburger. In first class.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:37 PM

4,262 posts, read 2,631,089 times
Quote:
Just wondering if sitting on a plane is difficult for you or if you haven't noticed any difference in your travels with age.

I don't like flying for more than five or six hours, which is a problem because I want to go to Europe and I would love to go back to Asia, but I am not going to sit for that long.

The European trip might work if I take a red-eye and can sleep all night (not sure if this is possible).

What about you?
Yes, it's a problem for me. I have taken to flying business class for any leg over eight hours. Yes it is expensive but it is that or stay at home.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:54 PM

22,122 posts, read 14,542,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I love window seats and one of the drawbacks is that if you have to go to the bathroom you have to disturb the people between you and the aisle. Some may be sleeping, eating or working on the computer. Of course I use the bathroom before I get on the plane and if the person in the middle or aisle seat gets up, I do, too. Oh, yeah- there's also the drink cart in the aisle. (Not that I want them to get rid of the drink cart- they've gotten rid of almost everything else.)

And don't forget that due to TSA regs, they get a little jumpy if too many people are "congregating" in the aisle. So, even if you get an aisle seat you have some constraints.
All of this.

And my knees really talk to me if Iíve been sitting in one position for awhile. I try to get a window seat and DH, bless his heart, sits in the middle and often falls asleep. I cannot sleep on a plane. I now carry a book and immerse myself in it as best I can.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:15 PM

4,262 posts, read 2,631,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
All of this.

And my knees really talk to me if Iíve been sitting in one position for awhile. I try to get a window seat and DH, bless his heart, sits in the middle and often falls asleep. I cannot sleep on a plane. I now carry a book and immerse myself in it as best I can.
DW and I both like aisle seats. We each get an aisle seat, right across from each other. I also cannot sleep. But I am a nut for crossword puzzles so I bring NY Times Sunday puzzles with me. I just did a 9+ hour flight from London and did two puzzles and two Sudokus, I barely noticed the flight.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:45 PM

11,250 posts, read 8,629,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Me too. I was on the transatlantic flight in United's Polaris Class (1st class) -- it is a lay-flat "pod." You can sleep in it fine. The food wasn't up to snuff - they served a hamburger. In first class.
A hamburger...oh the humanity.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:11 PM

2,278 posts, read 784,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I hope you at least got to use the Polaris Lounge. Wow- up to the standards of the lounges in the major European airports. I was glad I'd booked 6-hour layovers in ORD to and from Edinburgh last year. Landing after the flight from Edinburgh, taking a hot shower and brushing my teeth (with amenity kit they supplied) and then sitting back with a glass of wine: priceless. I'm Lifetime Gold on AA but I WILL be flying United/Continental again if I can get a reasonable price and Polaris Lounge access.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:02 PM

5,267 posts, read 678,723 times
Quote:

What about you?
It all depends on the airplane--how heavy I am at the time.

Several years ago I spent an excruciating flight on SwissAir when I was returning to the US from a vacation in Greece. We were packed in like sardines. There was zip leg room, and I *barely* fit in my seat (I'm overweight but not THAT overweight!). From Athens to Geneva the lady behind me kept knee-ing my seat instead of ASKING me outright if I would move the backrest up (it was reclined ever so slightly) I did comply when I was asked by the flight attendant on her behalf. When we landed I turned to see who this woman was. Both her and her companion were even more overweight than I was. I truly felt compassion for her after that.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:44 PM

31,989 posts, read 20,169,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A hamburger...oh the humanity.
It's pretty noteworthy. We usually got things like filet mignon / asparagus, or salmon. For the price of those seats I would be a little miffed, unless it was a REALLY good burger.

As my okole is now normally in economy, I just forgo the whole "dining" experience on the plane.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-29-2019, 08:49 PM

26,160 posts, read 33,161,755 times
Quote:

What about you?
I could do a 12 hour with no issues. I love plane trips. Gotta have a window seat though - that is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or