Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if sitting on a plane is difficult for you or if you haven't noticed any difference in your travels with age.

I don't like flying for more than five or six hours, which is a problem because I want to go to Europe and I would love to go back to Asia, but I am not going to sit for that long.

The European trip might work if I take a red-eye and can sleep all night (not sure if this is possible).

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 07:49 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Not yet.

Sitting is not the problem, walking is.

The question IS: can i walk to where i nerd to go when I get there.?

But while on a 9 hour flight last time, i got up and walked to the restroom if naught else.
Sitting to long isnt good for leg circulation. Energizer stockings help.

We'll see on the next trip to Greece.

Oh, and ill soon be 56, and with a bad back, hips and knees, i already use a cane to get around.
I have a folding cane for travel.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 PM

344 posts, read 416,613 times
I’m only 56 and used to fly weekly for work domestically with no big deal. Last year I took a six week vacation to Asia and the flights were the worst part with one leg being 14 hours. I don’t blame it on the flights specifically but I had the hardest time getting used to the change in time zones really affecting my sleep both while I was there and after I got home. It was hard after I got home to get back to normal. I would try and stay up “late” but would crash and be in bed by 6pm waking up around 1 am. That awefulness persisted for a couple of months. I’m thinking of going back in the fall, I need to research how to prevent a reoccurrence of that. But the actual flights while long and tedious were tolerable.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Last time we went to England I asked the dr about those compression stockings or whatever they are. He just laughed and said to take an aspirin just before boarding.

We did and flew across the Atlantic just fine. Both of us do get up and walk about though. Took the aspirin again before coming back home. I'm 74 and dh is older. We hope to go back this fall and I'll ask my new doctor because I've heard of people getting blood clots.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Which is the question: Is there a limit as you get older? OR Do you dislike sitting longer as you get older?

NOBODY likes sitting on planes.

Also, as a person gets older, their values change so the pain of sitting may be the same but maybe the desire is less to the trade off results in not going. Or, it could be the opposite, the desire is more but the pain is more but you'd still go even if it hurts more.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Never bothered me a bit. My longest was Dubai=Houston, when I was 78, which I believe was 15 hours.. Sure, it was long, but not as bad as having a layover 20 hours in a place like Guam.

Sometimes you just have to spend a day of your life outside your comfort zone, to get the bottom line you want..

Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I can do 5-6 hours on JetBlue economy or Hawaiian Air. No problem with my back.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I don't plan to fly anymore. Never liked it.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:02 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Last time we went to England I asked the dr about those compression stockings or whatever they are. He just laughed and said to take an aspirin just before boarding.

We did and flew across the Atlantic just fine. Both of us do get up and walk about though. Took the aspirin again before coming back home. I'm 74 and dh is older. We hope to go back this fall and I'll ask my new doctor because I've heard of people getting blood clots.
I bought compression socks for myself and two siblings the last time we flew. We were going to be in airports all day.

They really helped. They still use theirs whenever they are going anywhere that requires a lot of sitting

The socks were not plain white socks, but had a nice design. I found them on TravelSmith online catalog.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I used to fly 10-12 times a year when I was working and always worried about blood clots. I don't have good circulation in my lower legs and have a family history of strokes. Also have never been a napper and cannot sleep in an upright position so I get fidgety during flights. To address these issues, I bring reading material or electronic games, take an aspirin before flights, get an aisle seat and go to the restroom at least once, and exercise my feet and legs once an hour or so while sitting or standing in the aisle. Living in flyover country and not having a major airport in my city, my longest flights are generally 2-3 hours with a connecting flight. So I walk a lot in the airport at my connection. I avoid one stop flights where you cannot get off the plane. It is nice to know that compression stockings are not that important because these are uncomfortable.

I have not been on international travel except Canada so do not know how I will handle it. Most likely I will pay extra to get some intermediate class seating where I can at least elevate my feet. If the seat reclines enough, I could probably sleep. My understanding is that first class is very pricey but some airlines offer other upgrade options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement