U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 398,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Never considered Eastern Arizona, and know next-to-nothing of it. If I ever tire of living in a four-season paradise, I'll take a look there. I think the main reasons I nixed AZ was because of the late-summer monsoons, (I detest high humidity), and the desert heat, (have experienced heat stroke and heat exhaustion while cycling - don't want to ever again, especially as I head into my 70s and 80s).
At least in the east valley of Phoenix, the cycling is great. The lanes are wide and at least for our club rides on Saturday mornings, traffic is light. When we start at 0630, we easily ride 35-40 miles before the heat and humidity builds. And, the humidity is still less than most places, ever during the monsoon season.

If youíre into brevets, most events are held from Jan through May - itís feasible to ride a 250 mile in a day and not get roasted. The wind can be problematic though. If you need additional events, the riding is great in the surrounding states.

Our oldest rider is just over 80 and sheís out there every Sat. wearing a full-face helmet. Sheís awesome....and just won several golds and a silver at the national senior games!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:17 AM

7,347 posts, read 8,697,339 times
If I can swing it at some point I'd like a semi-nomadic life where I spend about 3 to 4 months in one place and then go to another for another few months or so.

I happen to love the desert (high desert more than valley) and lived near Phx AZ for college. I could not take the valley summer heat now, but 4 to 6 months of the year the weather is great.

Lush green is also very appealing and I'd be sad not to ever be in that environment at some point in the year, spring/early summer being optimal.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year and I'd want to go where I'd be around a lot of the colors.

I go to south FL to visit my mother and I don't really like it there compared to other places, but it would be okay for a month or 2.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,899,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Look at the ďfeel like tempĒ that takes the dew point in consideration. Vero Beach has 89 degrees and feels like 97 today. Iíve got 92 degrees with a feel like of 104 on the Gulf side. Just putting that out there for you, average temps arenít the whole picture, especially in summer. Winter weather canít be beat with low humidity and dew points, but 90 degrees in the summer rarely feels like 90 degrees in FL.
That's true. Our feels like temps in Raleigh are more often closer to actual, so when we had the week of high 90s not long ago, the highest the "feels like" went was around 107. That's more of a difference than Vero Beach had when you posted, but less difference than you were getting on the Gulf side. But the "feels like" temperature was still higher than either. That was not usual but not rare for us. I lived in Atlanta when we had 41 straight days over 100 actual temp with fairly high humidity. That was 1980; the year Mt Saint Helens erupted and they said it might cause a cooler summer. Anyway, the point is that most of us in the SE have experienced plenty of days as hot and sticky as FL summer days, just not as frequently. I also spent lots of summers in FL growing up and visit relatives in various seasons as an adult, so I know what I will be getting into and it isn't a big deal to me. I grew up in the south without AC until I was a teenager.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,933,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've never understood the part about moving to AZ or FL to escape snow. There are many places that have very mild winters with little to no snow. And why move someplace that's hot hot hot??
Many people find it far more comfortable in Arizona for most of the year. For us it was only bad during the monsoon season when humidity rose and even the nights were hot, which was usually mid-June to mid-September. This might surprise some but it's actually really nice in May in Phoenix when the high temperatures are in the 100s because it's so dry, especially the mornings and evenings. So that's about 9 months of the year of nice weather to be outside.

Places that get a little snow are often a lot colder in those shoulder months in spring and autumn, which is perfect time of year in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
First, on retirement income they will have big electric bills for the AC.
There are a lot of months in Arizona where you don't need to use any climate control, while folks farther north are cranking up their heaters. It evens out.

Move.org published a list of average utility bills by state, top 10:
1. Hawaii: $731 per month
2. Alaska: $528 per month
3. Rhode Island: $522 per month
4. Connecticut: $496 per month
5. New York: $477 per month
6. New Hampshire: $477 per month
7. South Carolina: $474 per month
8. Massachusetts: $469 per month
9. Vermont: $468 per month
10. Maine: $464 per month

Obviously there is a lot more to "utility bills" than just electricity but bottom line you can do a lot worse for utility costs in retirement than Arizona.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,688,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
That's true. Our feels like temps in Raleigh are more often closer to actual, so when we had the week of high 90s not long ago, the highest the "feels like" went was around 107. That's more of a difference than Vero Beach had when you posted, but less difference than you were getting on the Gulf side. But the "feels like" temperature was still higher than either. That was not usual but not rare for us. I lived in Atlanta when we had 41 straight days over 100 actual temp with fairly high humidity. That was 1980; the year Mt Saint Helens erupted and they said it might cause a cooler summer. Anyway, the point is that most of us in the SE have experienced plenty of days as hot and sticky as FL summer days, just not as frequently. I also spent lots of summers in FL growing up and visit relatives in various seasons as an adult, so I know what I will be getting into and it isn't a big deal to me. I grew up in the south without AC until I was a teenager.
Thank you for explaining that you do know exactly what to expect. Many people look at temps only or spend a week or two here in summer thinking itís not much different. Six months of summer isnít what people are used to from other areas.

Itís 9:45 a.m., 86 degrees and feels like 95 this morning. The dog got a long walk at 7, my gardening is done and Iím sitting by the pool finishing my cup of tea in a shady spot. I like being outside whether itís 100 or 0, rain or shine.

Last edited by jean_ji; Today at 08:29 AM..

Old Today, 08:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,433,069 times
For me, the draw in Arizona is the unlimited things to do. Spring Training baseball, golf, hiking, biking, world class restaurants, world class shooting ranges, close to Las Vegas...

Old Today, 08:59 AM

15,783 posts, read 26,856,400 times
My parents did it for financial reasons. They sold a home in Southern California that they had owned for almost 40 years. They paid $13,000 for the home and sold it for $338,000 back in 2003. They then bought a brand new home in Surprise Arizona for $132,000. We have seen a lot of people do this.

Also my dads bones were causing him pain from the cold air off the Pacific. It gets foggy around here many nights and early mornings. The hot air in the Phoenix area was perfect for my dad, who turned 81 this year.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,983 posts, read 54,735,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Many people find it far more comfortable in Arizona for most of the year. For us it was only bad during the monsoon season when humidity rose and even the nights were hot, which was usually mid-June to mid-September. This might surprise some but it's actually really nice in May in Phoenix when the high temperatures are in the 100s because it's so dry, especially the mornings and evenings. So that's about 9 months of the year of nice weather to be outside.

Places that get a little snow are often a lot colder in those shoulder months in spring and autumn, which is perfect time of year in Phoenix.

There are a lot of months in Arizona where you don't need to use any climate control, while folks farther north are cranking up their heaters. It evens out.

Move.org published a list of average utility bills by state, top 10:
1. Hawaii: $731 per month
2. Alaska: $528 per month
3. Rhode Island: $522 per month
4. Connecticut: $496 per month
5. New York: $477 per month
6. New Hampshire: $477 per month
7. South Carolina: $474 per month
8. Massachusetts: $469 per month
9. Vermont: $468 per month
10. Maine: $464 per month

Obviously there is a lot more to "utility bills" than just electricity but bottom line you can do a lot worse for utility costs in retirement than Arizona.
True, but not much,. Arizona is not on the worst 10 list but at $441.41 it just missed. Here in WA we are the 4th Lowest cost.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,899,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Thank you for explaining that you do know exactly what to expect. Many people look at temps only or spend a week or two here in summer thinking it’s not much different. Six months of summer isn’t what people are used to from other areas.

It’s 9:45 a.m., 86 degrees and feels like 95 this morning. The dog got a long walk at 7, my gardening is done and I’m sitting by the pool finishing my cup of tea in a shady spot. I like being outside whether it’s 100 or 0, rain or shine.
I really do like the moist heat. During that week of high 90s here in Raleigh. I was out on my deck a few times, in the shade, no shoes, in shorts and a light short sleeve shirt taking it easy in a zero gravity chair for over an hour at a time. Would I have been comfortable roofing a house in that weather? Absolutely not - I am scared of heights. The idea of difficult manual labor doesn't thrill me any more no matter what the temperature is, but it would be harder to take in the heat and potentially dangerous. Fortunately, it isn't in my plans.

BTW - we are still getting more 90s of course; that wasn't a one time thing. It's just the only time so far this summer that we had "feels like" over 100 for a few days in a row instead of just one here and there.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

7,347 posts, read 8,697,339 times
I think the OP got their question answered on the myriad reasons of why do seniors move to AZ and FL. Hopefully it's not the mystery it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or