U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

17,725 posts, read 11,267,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been to Arizona many times. I even thought i would move there.

The last time i went was in April a few years ago. We left in the morning from Texas. It was a nice chilly day.

We get there - it was horribly WARM. No way

I've only been to the panhandle of Florida. It was okay. But too humid. Even more than our south texas beaches.

I can only give you my reasons for moving to Florida.

1) I never want to be cold or see that white stuff on the ground any more.

2) Down here you can go outside 365 days a year, generally in shorts.

3) The pace here is pretty tame compared to other places, a little more laid back.

4) Outdoor activities are plentiful, boating, car shows, or just walking.

And, did I mention I never want to see snow again ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 400,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If I can swing it at some point I'd like a semi-nomadic life where I spend about 3 to 4 months in one place and then go to another for another few months or so.

I happen to love the desert (high desert more than valley) and lived near Phx AZ for college. I could not take the valley summer heat now, but 4 to 6 months of the year the weather is great.

Lush green is also very appealing and I'd be sad not to ever be in that environment at some point in the year, spring/early summer being optimal.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year and I'd want to go where I'd be around a lot of the colors.

I go to south FL to visit my mother and I don't really like it there compared to other places, but it would be okay for a month or 2.
Nov through June is great weather here. That leaves 4 months where the weather is...tough. It keeps the amateurs away.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

9,319 posts, read 8,371,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
ya but... in AZ and probably FL you're pretty much stuck inside late spring to early fall because of the heat about the same amount of time you'd be stuck inside in the midwest or northeast because of the cold.
You're just trading one miserable season for another.
Nope, not at all. We just finished a two hour bike ride and yesterday spent all day on the beach. First working out then enjoying the beach. After that we floated in our pool until sunset.

It is so nice to enjoy Christmas parades in shorts and a tee shirt. I like floating in my pool Christmas Day.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

31,925 posts, read 20,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

It is so nice to enjoy Christmas parades in shorts and a tee shirt. I like floating in my pool Christmas Day.

Know what I hate? HATE HATE HATE?!!

Christmas and Thanksgiving at 80 degrees, blue skies and palm trees. It's just not right!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

17,725 posts, read 11,267,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Christmas and Thanksgiving at 80 degrees, blue skies and palm trees. It's just not right!

Haha, there is a certain weirdness , I have to admit, to having people over for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is in the 80's or 90's. When we go to an on water decorated boat parade, it does seem a little odd that there is no snow around.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

9,824 posts, read 4,617,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Living at or near the ocean is also a big factor for a few people. The pull of the ocean gets stronger if you have it and haven't satisfied it. The NE coast is bone chilling much of the year.

Yes, not only do you have water but you have warm water. The heat isn't as much of an issue when you are in or on the water.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,902,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yes, not only do you have water but you have warm water. The heat isn't as much of an issue when you are in or on the water.
When I was a kid, one summer we went to Maine and my parents took us to the beach. We ran in to the waves and just about walked on water getting back out. I just checked the NOAA sea surface temperature map for today and the water temp is in 50s at the Maine shore. In late July!

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,902,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Haha, there is a certain weirdness , I have to admit, to having people over for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is in the 80's or 90's. When we go to an on water decorated boat parade, it does seem a little odd that there is no snow around.
In the NC Piedmont, a white Christmas is very rare. I think I have see 2 in 25 years, one a light dusting and the other snow from a few days before that wasn't quite gone yet. There have been some warm ones, some nasty ones (like 40, raining and windy) and most seem to be in the 45 to 55 range without significant precipitation. A lot of the country is like that. Most people get their white Christmas on the Hallmark channel. I think this idea that it isn't Christmas like on the beach is largely baseless.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

31,925 posts, read 20,133,803 times
In general, I think we want a change when we retire. We have had 30 years of tropical climate, and now when we have the choice, we WANT 4 seasons. Four mild seasons, but seasons none the less.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

13,072 posts, read 15,448,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I don’t live in Florida or Arizona, but I would love 80 on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would love to wear shorts and sandals year round.

One drawback to Arizona for me is the temperature drop when the sun goes down. I am used to the midwest where when the sun goes down in the summer it is still warm. If you are sitting outside at 2 AM you are comfortable wearing whatever you wore earlier in the day and there is no chill in the air. I love Midwest summer nights!

The drawback to Florida for me is alligators. It just creeps me out to think those things are lurking around. It never even crossed my mind anytime I went to Florida until that little boy was killed at Disney World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or