U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

31,947 posts, read 20,133,803 times

Advertisements

If we weren't all different, some states would be VERY crowded.

Our weather stays hot at night, and..... I hate that. What I did like about Sedona, was it was hot during the day, and almost freezing at night (I think we were there in Nov. can't remember).

That's one of the things I looked for in locations, was a drop in temp at night. I love fireplaces, and cozy wear, big comforters, and winter meals.

My dogs, who have never experienced cold, may disagree.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

15,786 posts, read 26,861,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Know what I hate? HATE HATE HATE?!!

Christmas and Thanksgiving at 80 degrees, blue skies and palm trees. It's just not right!
Half the world never sees snow on Christmas. The Southern Hemisphere is having summer. Although it is not always 80 degrees in California on the coast where I live, we never get snow. I have only had two Christmas seasons with snow when I was living in Iowa.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Haha, there is a certain weirdness , I have to admit, to having people over for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is in the 80's or 90's. When we go to an on water decorated boat parade, it does seem a little odd that there is no snow around.
You see that is normal for my part of the world. We have the Parade of Lights at the Harbor every year. In our area, Oxnard CA does theirs one weekend and Ventura CA does theirs the next weekend. Christmas is not Christmas without a Parade of lights on the water.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

Quote:
If we weren't all different, some states would be VERY crowded.

Our weather stays hot at night, and..... I hate that. What I did like about Sedona, was it was hot during the day, and almost freezing at night (I think we were there in Nov. can't remember).

That's one of the things I looked for in locations, was a drop in temp at night. I love fireplaces, and cozy wear, big comforters, and winter meals.

My dogs, who have never experienced cold, may disagree.
Around here it can be warm in the day and the Offshore breeze cools things down at night. We love to go out and sit by the fire pit in the evening.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

1,029 posts, read 400,391 times
Quote:
In general, I think we want a change when we retire. We have had 30 years of tropical climate, and now when we have the choice, we WANT 4 seasons. Four mild seasons, but seasons none the less.
This. I've lived in AZ since 1995 and good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, we'll move back to the south for four mild seasons. Don't get me wrong - I love it here but it's time for a change.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

31,947 posts, read 20,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Half the world never sees snow on Christmas. The Southern Hemisphere is having summer. Although it is not always 80 degrees in California on the coast where I live, we never get snow. I have only had two Christmas seasons with snow when I was living in Iowa.

I didn't mention snow in that post.

And only 30% of the world celebrates christmas at all.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by Mikala43; Yesterday at 01:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

4,058 posts, read 7,694,888 times
Anyone with a sense of adventure and a little money in their pocket should be smart enough to do it. Even if you are in debt, take what you got and make a go of it.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,902,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The drawback to Florida for me is alligators. It just creeps me out to think those things are lurking around. It never even crossed my mind anytime I went to Florida until that little boy was killed at Disney World.
We have them in NC also. They are very rare in VA and I don't think there are any on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. But NC, SC and GA have plenty down near the coast. They are more plentiful in FL, but they are relatively easy to avoid.

Nature will mess with you in AZ also, if you aren't careful.
Snake bites on the rise in the Valley - Story | KSAZ

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

1,029 posts, read 400,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
We have them in NC also. They are very rare in VA and I don't think there are any on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. But NC, SC and GA have plenty down near the coast. They are more plentiful in FL, but they are relatively easy to avoid.

Nature will mess with you in AZ also, if you aren't careful.
Snake bites on the rise in the Valley - Story | KSAZ
Alligators are in Alabama also. In 2008, I kayaked from Montgomery (site of the capital) to below Selma landing at "Old Cahaba", site of the first permanent state capital of Alabama from 1820 to 1825. During that trip, I counted half a dozen gators, all below the Robert F. Henry Lock and Dam. As a kid, we saw them in the Millers Ferry area beginning around 1970 or so.

When we first moved here, I became the designated rattlesnake remover in our new neighborhood. It's rather simple: take a rake with 3" tines, scoop him up and drop him in a tall, plastic kitchen trash can. You really don't need a lid but it does freak people out otherwise. I'd drive them out into the desert and release them. Rattlesnakes will do their best to get away from you. Only when they're cornered do they become ill-tempered. Scorpions, on the other hand, are always ill-tempered.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,949,293 times
FL is an overcrowded dumpy place and nauseatingly humid for 5+ months. AZ has those neurotoxic scorpions that are everywhere. Both are too hot from May - October. Wouldn't consider living full time in either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or