U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

22 posts, read 2,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Taxes can be so complicated, sales, property, state income tax. Add in pharmacy laws that may impact costs, gas taxes/price of gas.
Sometimes I wonder if people just look at AZ no income tax and NM, income tax and go to AZ. Or do they do all the calculations. Otherwise why not NM? Or UT? Or TX?
FL is full. AZ has no water.
Arizona has state income tax, Florida does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

676 posts, read 360,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
AZ exempts SS income. Tax does apply to other income.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,904,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
My choice is FL for other reasons. Arizona's state income tax rates range from 2.59% to 4.54%, with higher brackets paying higher rates. Compare home insurance rates and it's likely a wash at best. If it's such a tight squeeze that 5% is a big number, I think you need to seriously re-evaluate if either is a good choice for you.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,833,800 times
We were Snowbirds for 5 years, got tired of the back and forth, moved to FL year round, stayed 3 years, couldn’t take the H,H, and high Dewpoint, moved on to higher ground.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 2,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
My choice is FL for other reasons. Arizona's state income tax rates range from 2.59% to 4.54%, with higher brackets paying higher rates. Compare home insurance rates and it's likely a wash at best. If it's such a tight squeeze that 5% is a big number, I think you need to seriously re-evaluate if either is a good choice for you.
Florida has the highest average homeowners insurance in the country @ over $6800 a year, Arizona is at around $1300, maybe the difference in taxes paid and insurance evens out. I think a lot of preference has to do with what type of climate you want to live in--Florida has the beaches and humidity, Arizona has the desert and the dry heat--both have great winters...I've lived in both types of climates, grew up in AZ lived in NC, TN and coastal GA, I love the greenery in the southeast but HATE the humidity, I'd take 110 over 90 and humid any day but that is a persons personal choice.

Both areas make sense for seniors--the weather, the relatively lower costs of living, the health care, the abundance of senior communities.

Personally I am looking at Texas over both of those places but I could see either place as a viable option for a winter homestead.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 2,938,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
AZ has no water.
It's probably more accurate to say Arizona doesn't have beaches. I used to go fishing in lakes and rivers in Arizona all the time, and two friends had boats.

Lake Mead, Lake Powell, Roosevelt Lake, Lake Havasu, Lake Pleasant, Apache Lake, Bartlett Lake, Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, Colorado River, Gila River, Salt River.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,904,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's probably more accurate to say Arizona doesn't have beaches. I used to go fishing in lakes and rivers in Arizona all the time, and two friends had boats.

Lake Mead, Lake Powell, Roosevelt Lake, Lake Havasu, Lake Pleasant, Apache Lake, Bartlett Lake, Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, Colorado River, Gila River, Salt River.
FL is my choice, but I have been to Lake Powell and it stunning.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

15,788 posts, read 26,866,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I didn't mention snow in that post.

And only 30% of the world celebrates christmas at all.
Your post lead me to believe that having Christmas in a warm climate is wrong. Many people that I know think that you can only have Christmas in a snow covered location. Plenty of people have awesome Christmas's in warm places. South America is a place where Christmas is celebrated in a warm environment. Australia and New Zealand are also places that Christmas is celebrated during the Summer time in that part of the world.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

191 posts, read 85,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
ya but... in AZ and probably FL you're pretty much stuck inside late spring to early fall because of the heat about the same amount of time you'd be stuck inside in the midwest or northeast because of the cold.
You're just trading one miserable season for another.
So true! but in So Cal you're stuck on the freeway for hours and you're paying big bucks$$$ just to rent there. Its getting harder to find a good balance.....unless you're rich.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

7,986 posts, read 11,700,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

You know what I meant

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ught/13883605/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or