U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

18,876 posts, read 9,713,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
Arizona has state income tax, Florida does not.
But to do a proper analysis, you need to calculate, income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, tax on gas, etc. and then cost of housing, insurance, etc....to determine which is better from a cost standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

14,292 posts, read 24,073,069 times
Why did I retire to Arizona?

1) Very low cost of living.
2) Great climate - yes, we like the hot and dry climate.
3) Climate allows us to exercise outside 12 months per year and swim for 10 months per year.
4) Very little traffic and congestion in the area.
5) Low taxes - $900 real estate per year and no income tax (utilizing state tax credits)
6) People that share many of our values

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

4,233 posts, read 5,712,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
After I retired, we moved to the state with the highest average age and the highest percentage of retirees.

Not Florida or Arizona, but Maine.

We love winter and we both hate the extreme heat of those Southern states.

I've been in Florida my entire life and my plans are the same as yours.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 11 days ago)

1,336 posts, read 440,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why did I retire to Arizona?

1) Very low cost of living.
2) Great climate - yes, we like the hot and dry climate.
3) Climate allows us to exercise outside 12 months per year and swim for 10 months per year.
4) Very little traffic and congestion in the area.
5) Low taxes - $900 real estate per year and no income tax (utilizing state tax credits)
6) People that share many of our values
My fire chief’s mother retired there and loves it. I have been to AZ, nice but I prefer easy access to beaches of Florida

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

31,976 posts, read 20,147,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your post lead me to believe that having Christmas in a warm climate is wrong. Many people that I know think that you can only have Christmas in a snow covered location. Plenty of people have awesome Christmas's in warm places. South America is a place where Christmas is celebrated in a warm environment. Australia and New Zealand are also places that Christmas is celebrated during the Summer time in that part of the world.

I was only talking about what I like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

6,290 posts, read 2,918,289 times
Eastern state gal here. I'll gladly move to AZ. No more allergies ! It's really that simple for some of us to consider our well being.

I'll take warmer weather...simple taxes .

No Brainer to stay out of Florida. It's laws are ridiculous. If a teen minding his own business can get shot...I'd hate to see what happens to a senior minding their own business. That state already has goofy living there. Enuff said.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

12,142 posts, read 5,213,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Eastern state gal here. I'll gladly move to AZ. No more allergies ! It's really that simple for some of us to consider our well being.

I'll take warmer weather...simple taxes .

No Brainer to stay out of Florida. It's laws are ridiculous. If a teen minding his own business can get shot...I'd hate to see what happens to a senior minding their own business. That state already has goofy living there. Enuff said.
Some people have horrible allergies in Arizona and the desert SW in general. It's not an allergy free zone. Others have serious sinus issues because of the dry air.
Of course not everyone is affected, but people need to be aware of this.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

30,761 posts, read 49,594,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I've been in Florida my entire life and my plans are the same as yours.
I have visited Florida many times, my Dw lived there a few years. Together we have owned many homes, in many places [stateside and overseas].

I would never retire anywhere that I had to pay income taxes, so Maine is well suited for us.

The low Cost-of-living and extreme low taxes just sweeten the deal.

I have owned homes before where the annual taxes were many thousands of dollars, today as a retiree I own a much larger house on a huge property and my property taxes are in the hundreds [not in the thousands].

Old Today, 01:05 AM

4,417 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some people have horrible allergies in Arizona and the desert SW in general. It's not an allergy free zone. Others have serious sinus issues because of the dry air.
Of course not everyone is affected, but people need to be aware of this.
My sinuses would be bleeding from that dry air. Also, my skin is soooo dry and I'm always parched in the desert. Plus I don't like being that far from a body of water.

To answer the OP's original question, I'm in FL because I inherited my mother's condo (thank you, Mom!) and I needed to super-downsize my expenses in retirement. The property taxes are in the hundreds, not thousands. COL is reasonable. I can't (physically) take the cold anymore, and the moist coastal air is soothing. And it's beautiful -- surrounded by turquoise water, palm trees and white beaches is not hard to take. Much as I love my hometown up North, I find the grayness super-depressing now.

Old Today, 04:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 617,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
And you can get the Hallmark channel on cable for your white Christmas fix if you need it. Crank up the AC, make some cocoa, get under a blanket and watch a couple of movies. That really is all the white Christmas most of us get.

LOL!!

My wacky BIL is a huge NE Patriots fan. He is not in the income league to afford season tickets, so to make the most out of his football viewing experience which he calls "supporting the team" he has a big screen TV hooked up in his garage and built bleachers where he and his friends sit to watch the game and the door has to be open. He also has a keg set up, popcorn making machine, hot dog making machine, a crockpot filled with that melted cheese whiz for the nachos, and after the game is over my SIL is the designated driver and carts all the boys home in her minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or