U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:02 AM

625 posts, read 267,576 times

Advertisements

We plan on doing both, and including a few other locales as well, as snow birds. The issue with the Northeast winters is how long they last. Many years snow starts in October and lasts well into April. Nearly seven months of winter, in my opinion, is painful.

We have been to southern California in the desert (DHS) during February and it was really nice; clear, sunny, beautiful vistas. Never thought the desert could be so beautiful. So we will likely try Arizona as it also looks beautiful, both with desert and forested areas.

Florida is a logical choice for many on the East Coast. From Upstate NY to Orlando it takes less than three hours by plane. Many different areas to suit your interests from north to south, Gulf Coast to ocean side. Many communities offer a resort-like experience, but if you prefer more privacy that is easy to find, too, inland. Coastal feeling is another benefit for many; seafood, charter boats, cruises, beaches, etc. I’m a golfer and both Arizona and Florida offer tons of golfing options, from public or municipal courses to high-end private tracts. I don’t think I would want to be in either state during summer months. It is pretty much paradise where I am right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:46 AM

3,119 posts, read 1,060,827 times
Florida has sinkholes, hurricanes, alligators, flooding and as many conservatives per volume as Texas. Maps of global warming always show Florida underwater. Bugs are a problem, too, and I'm allergic to mosquito bites. Not a good choice. Those sinkholes are terrifying and can only get worse. Image being swallowed by the ground while sleeping in your bed.

Flagstaff is extremely expensive.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; Today at 07:17 AM..

Old Today, 06:54 AM

6,040 posts, read 2,938,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
You said Arizona has no water, there is no reasonable interpretation that makes that anywhere close to true.

That article doesn't support it either.

Old Today, 07:08 AM

670 posts, read 328,043 times
I love the 4 seasons and live in the DC area. Beautiful mild winters, gorgeous Fall, Pretty Green springs, and warm summers. Close to so many varied attractions, cities, and 3 airports for travel. I can't get bored out here. I can do ice skating, archery, swimming, and kayaking in my neighborhood in the summer or take the metro to DC to join a protest. I can take college general interest classes and not pay tuition. It hardly ever snows, and when it does its such a wondrous event. If you don't work, then winter weather is not such a problem; simply stay home until the weather clears up. Most things close down at the annoucement of snow; and you are told to stay off the roads! Appointments can be rescheduled. I like wearing winter clothes and boots too and making hearty soups. Its so diverse here, there are many ethnic small restaurants and markets to explore as well. And DC is surrounded by cities; all with there own attractions.

Florida--Not for me. Lots of bugs, extreme heat and humidity. My skin burns easily so I have to stay out of the sun. I'd be inside most of the time. Scenery is meh; OK they have the ocean which I love. The fact that retirement income is not taxed is a huge attraction. I have 1 friend who lives in a Ft. Lauderdale ocean front highrise and she said I can visit her if I need an ocean fix. Its great for arthritis suffers. Potential for hurricane evacuations and alligator sightings. Somebody older commented me to me--"everywhere you go --old people, its the Geriatric capital of the US!" But I can see why people flock there---The weather and taxes.

Arizona--Expensive healthcare, gorgeous scenery, close to California and other SW/Rocky Mountain attractions. The heat is also extreme, but its a more tolerable "dry" oven. I love the colors and the vibe there. I don't have any friends or family out west so I would be on my own. I can see why people want to to live there.

I'm staying put at this time while I have my health. So many choices as to things to do and experience where I live.

Old Today, 07:27 AM

538 posts, read 632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Florida has sinkholes, hurricanes, alligators, flooding and as many conservatives per volume as Texas. Maps of global warming always show Florida underwater. Bugs are a problem, too, and I'm allergic to mosquito bites. Not a good choice. Those sinkholes are terrifying and can only get worse. Image being swallowed by the ground while sleeping in your bed.
Good one. Having lived in FL for 20 years then left I always tell everyone, if you got good healthcare somewhere in the US and move to FL, especially some place like the Villages, your healthcare will be really poor in comparison. Even Mayo in Jacksonville had many doctors leave since they can't get the model working right like the original Rochester, MN location. They put too much emphasis on productivity, just what we as patients hate. U. FL Gainesville just about went bankrupt at one point and many doctors left for outside FL, they have never gotten back to what they were. Getting healthcare in FL, no matter what you read anywhere, will be poor in comparison to other states. Doctors are overwhelmed and leave everyday, and hospitals are forcing them to work a production schedule which they hate since so many retired there. Don't expect good healthcare if you pick FL. I had a few good doctors in FL, some really bad ones too, but I can tell you it is really hard to find the good ones.

Last edited by TestEngr; Today at 07:36 AM..

Old Today, 07:34 AM
JRR

3,709 posts, read 2,245,435 times
Quote:

I lived in Florida for 35 years and 24 of those years in Central Florida. Sinkholes were way down on my list of things to be concerned about. Sure they do happen, but the odds are pretty small. Probably have a better chance of getting run over on the way to the airport in Orlando.

Old Today, 07:41 AM

12,145 posts, read 5,213,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I lived in Florida for 35 years and 24 of those years in Central Florida. Sinkholes were way down on my list of things to be concerned about. Sure they do happen, but the odds are pretty small. Probably have a better chance of getting run over on the way to the airport in Orlando.
Yeah, if you don't like a place just say so. Don't use excuses like sink holes and alligators as if losing your home to a sink hole or being eaten by an alligator is an everyday occurrence. I have a feeling you have a much greater chance of being hit by lightening in Florida than either of those.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

7,908 posts, read 4,836,576 times
Quote:
It is? It didn't seem that expensive to me. I was looking at good-sized homes a ways out of town for $500k and under.

But Flagstaff is just Northern California lite and we didn't need any more of that nonsense in our lives.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

7,908 posts, read 4,836,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some people have horrible allergies in Arizona and the desert SW in general. It's not an allergy free zone. Others have serious sinus issues because of the dry air.
Of course not everyone is affected, but people need to be aware of this.
I have allergies and sinus problems but they're the same allergies and sinus problems I had before I moved here.

Seasonal allergies are another story. The desert blooms profusely in the spring. It is glorious. It is also laden with pollen. The good news is that spring doesn't last forever.

Old Today, 08:25 AM

2,938 posts, read 2,043,741 times
I have to chuckle from some of the comments....I live in Brickell (Miami) and have yet to see a condo swallowed up by a sinkhole or a neighbor dragged into Biscayne Bay by an alligator. There always is the risk of a hurricane (you get advanced warning, it’s the aftermath that can be more challenging) but I lived in CA for 33 years and did not have my life disrupted by earthquakes either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or