U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

8,254 posts, read 11,968,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The drawback to Florida for me is alligators. It just creeps me out to think those things are lurking around....
LOL. It's not as if they're walking around the neighborhood like lizards or stray cats. If you're not near a canal, pond, or other fresh-water body of water, you have nothing to worry about. I've lived in Florida off and on for more than 30 years and I've never so much as seen an alligator outside of a trip to Everglades National Park.

Now of you were creeped out by the thought of flying palmetto bugs (giant cockroaches), that I could understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

12,147 posts, read 5,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have allergies and sinus problems but they're the same allergies and sinus problems I had before I moved here.

Seasonal allergies are another story. The desert blooms profusely in the spring. It is glorious. It is also laden with pollen. The good news is that spring doesn't last forever.
I live in the CA desert and the wildflowers are indeed spectacular depending on how much winter rain we get. I do have allergies here year around, mostly in the mornings but I can live with it without too much of a problem. Last year though my sinuses swelled up so badly the front of my face was noticeably swollen. I wasn't a pretty sight, LOL.
I hope you're enjoying your new home.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

26 posts, read 3,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. It's not as if they're walking around the neighborhood like lizards or stray cats. If you're not near a canal, pond, or other fresh-water body of water, you have nothing to worry about. I've lived in Florida off and on for more than 30 years and I've never so much as seen an alligator outside of a trip to Everglades National Park.

Now of you were creeped out by the thought of flying palmetto bugs (giant cockroaches), that I could understand.
I've seen gators in Georgia and North Carolina too--I would assumed South Carolina has them but I haven't spent enough time there to know for sure so Florida doesn't have the monopoly on gators either

My wife see's pictures on the internet of gators in peoples pools in FL and that freaks her out, those stupid pictures have all but eliminated Florida as an option for our retirement.

I'm from AZ and people seem to think scorpions and rattlesnakes are everywhere--I lived there from 1979-1990 then again from 94-2006 and I saw a total of 3 scorpions and 2 rattlesnakes in all those years, neither of the snakes was in a residential area either.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

18,887 posts, read 9,721,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
I've seen gators in Georgia and North Carolina too--I would assumed South Carolina has them but I haven't spent enough time there to know for sure so Florida doesn't have the monopoly on gators either

My wife see's pictures on the internet of gators in peoples pools in FL and that freaks her out, those stupid pictures have all but eliminated Florida as an option for our retirement.

I'm from AZ and people seem to think scorpions and rattlesnakes are everywhere--I lived there from 1979-1990 then again from 94-2006 and I saw a total of 3 scorpions and 2 rattlesnakes in all those years, neither of the snakes was in a residential area either.
So why did you leave Arizona for Ill?

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

9,846 posts, read 4,624,939 times
Seems the predominant reasons given are lower cost of living and warmer climate. So those looking for that flock to Arizona and Florida, and to a lesser extent the other southern border states. Then there are some who find those place still too expensive and just keep on going, ending up in Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

7,370 posts, read 8,709,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
lol. My MIL lives in a nice senior apartment complex. I can only visit for about an hour at a time so I don't turn into a puddle on the floor. When we visited their Florida condo, every night I would sneak out and turn the air down and then back up in the morning. I still slept with no covers and with little on. They'd wake up and wonder why it was so cold. .
When I visit my mom in FL it's a battle over the thermostat. She likes it to be 78 degrees. It's ghastly hot. She also doesn't like any ceiling fans on and won't let me turn those on unless she's out of the room. And you're not allowed to open any windows either. It's always a battle to try and get comfy. This has become a running joke with some friends who always want me to take a picture of the thermostat to prove it's really set at 78 degrees upon my arrival.

Just 2 min ago my phone rings, it's my mom on her cell phone. "I have to leave for the beauty parlor or I'll be late!" she's screaming into the phone. I told her she's yelling into the phone. Then she says, "Goodbye!" I ask her what she wants since she called. "I'm going to be late for my appointment. I didn't call you. Goodbye!"

LOL

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,627,503 times
We moved to Hawaii from the PNW.

Reasons: year-around gardening + year-around surfing without a wetsuit + year-around sunshine (Seattle is cloudy much of the year) + no snow in the winter.

Where we live in Hawaii we do not have or need A/C or a furnace. So our energy bill is extremely low.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

26 posts, read 3,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So why did you leave Arizona for Ill?
Work...I left AZ for TN for 6 years then GA for 2 years and now IL for 5. Illinois is my least favorite of all those locations.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

1,208 posts, read 675,519 times
I can see why people move to either FL or AZ for the warm climates and blue skies. As another poster remarked, the “grayness” of Northern winters are rugged for some and those winters can drag out forever, it seems.

We moved from that environment to FL when we were much younger and we both felt more energized. I think my parents’ lives were extended by being snowbirds and remaining active during the winters later in life.

However, the bloom is off the rose for us in FL. We lived there several decades ago when there were still massive orange groves before the major freezes in the 70s and then the rampant development.

The population in FL has increased so much, traffic during snowbird season is tough, not thrilled with the medical choices, and what’s up with the iguanas everywhere?! The last time we were visiting there were 4-5 right on the pool deck and they do creep me out. Yup, and the flying cockroaches - I do remember them.

We will stick to being “halfbacks” and enjoy 4 seasons and both the beach and mountains within quite easy reach. But each to his/her own and there are certainly pluses for either state. Find your own bliss!

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

2,316 posts, read 588,463 times
You have to pick some place to die. Why not pick FL or AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or