U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

678 posts, read 400,481 times

Advertisements

Florida and AZ have gun laws in favor of their citizens. Here in AZ I can open or concealed carry a handgun without “mother may I”. My wife and I can ride into the backcountry or hike or ride bikes wherever with a .40 mm Glock. Yeah, I’m paranoid given all the thugs that seem to show up everywhere. If someone comes in a restaurant in AZ with the idea of shooting folks, they likely will see some return fire. I am old but I can level a playing field when it comes to self protection. Highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

30,765 posts, read 49,603,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Florida and AZ have gun laws in favor of their citizens. Here in AZ I can open or concealed carry a handgun without “mother may I”. My wife and I can ride into the backcountry or hike or ride bikes wherever with a .40 mm Glock. Yeah, I’m paranoid given all the thugs that seem to show up everywhere. If someone comes in a restaurant in AZ with the idea of shooting folks, they likely will see some return fire. I am old but I can level a playing field when it comes to self protection. Highly recommend it.
I do enjoy our Constitutional Carry [both Concealed Carry and Open Carry] as enjoyed by Northern New England.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

7,369 posts, read 4,223,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Eastern state gal here. I'll gladly move to AZ. No more allergies ! It's really that simple for some of us to consider our well being.

I'll take warmer weather...simple taxes .

No Brainer to stay out of Florida. It's laws are ridiculous. If a teen minding his own business can get shot...I'd hate to see what happens to a senior minding their own business. That state already has goofy living there. Enuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some people have horrible allergies in Arizona and the desert SW in general. It's not an allergy free zone. Others have serious sinus issues because of the dry air.
Of course not everyone is affected, but people need to be aware of this.
My wife just traded one set of allergies for another.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

1,043 posts, read 404,730 times
Quote:
You get additional privileges if you take the concealed carry class including reciprocity in other states that recognizes AZ's permit. YMMV.

Be safe!

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

6,412 posts, read 5,122,551 times
Quote:
Here in Texas you have to take a class and pay for the privilege

Now that would be one thing i would want to change. Why do i - a retired military person that qualified with the M-9 and M-16 - have to take a darn course? I even got expert on the M-16. I prefer a rifle anyway.

I'm going to send a message to my state rep!!!

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,907,089 times
I do worry about the rate of gun ownership and the myth of less shootings.

Take a look at this study:
https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l542
Quote:
A 10% increase in state gun ownership was associated with a significant 35.1% (12.7% to 62.7%, P=0.001) higher rate of mass shootings. Partially adjusted regression analyses produced similar results, as did analyses restricted to domestic and non-domestic mass shootings.

States with more permissive gun laws and greater gun ownership had higher rates of mass shootings, and a growing divide appears to be emerging between restrictive and permissive states.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

2,298 posts, read 2,444,426 times
Quote:
I live in So Cal, but travel to the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club to compete in pistol matches a few times a year, and to the Ben Avery Clay Target Center a few times a year to compete in shotgun matches.

Phoenix Rod and Gun Club is nice, Ben Avery is world class !!

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,618,524 times
Never been to Arizona, but the LAST place in the country I would move to is Florida!! I don't get it at all! My 69-yr-old brother & his wife just put in an offer somewhere on the Gulf coast (about 20 minutes to the beach), and I think he's nuts!

I've been there 4 times for family things and could not WAIT to get back home to SE PA!!! Choking humidity, over-crowded, more car accidents than anywhere in the country (heard that on the radio), FIRE ANTS & a plethora of other bugs, trapped inside for half the year, mega-storms & heavy rains. NO THANKS! Give me my 4 seasons, rolling hills, top-notch healthcare, windows open and a barefoot walk on my backyard grass. An no state tax on SS.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

1,043 posts, read 404,730 times
Picture a palmetto bug landing on your face in the middle on the night. That may help you rule out Florida.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

12,147 posts, read 5,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Picture a palmetto bug landing on your face in the middle on the night. That may help you rule out Florida.
When I was a kid, we rented a small furnished apartment in south Florida. It was suppose to be just for a few weeks. The apt looked decent and clean. The first time someone used the toaster about a dozen palmetto bugs came running out of it when while it was getting hot.
My mother ran out of there so fast, I didn't think she was capable of moving like that. I don't know if she got her money back or not for the place but we left the next day, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or