U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM

12,129 posts, read 5,204,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
ya but... in AZ and probably FL you're pretty much stuck inside late spring to early fall because of the heat about the same amount of time you'd be stuck inside in the midwest or northeast because of the cold.
You're just trading one miserable season for another.
Some people do not want to deal with snow period, or the cold. If they have to put up with summers of scorching temps or very high humidity, for them that's a small price to pay for not having fear of falling on ice or shoveling snow, or driving on icy slick roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM

2,454 posts, read 1,688,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
ya but... in AZ and probably FL you're pretty much stuck inside late spring to early fall because of the heat about the same amount of time you'd be stuck inside in the midwest or northeast because of the cold.
You're just trading one miserable season for another.
Exactly, pick your poison. I like being able to garden all year. It took me a long time to realize the seasons are exact opposites in my part of FL and gardening is different. While tropical fruit trees and flowers are year round, vegetable gardening begins in early fall and again after New Year. The sun and humidity are too much during summer, with a few exceptions. Many of my annuals, like basil, are short-lived perennials here.

I’m growing Florida native plants now which thrive in these conditions, rather than keeping non-natives that require too much time and resources. Moving to a environment that is so completely different has the potential to end up being a huge disappointment. FL and AZ are not just warmer versions of northern states.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-28-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,728 posts, read 40,135,596 times
and TX... otherwise.. you do everything outdoors between 5AM and 10 AM. and retreat to AC for the rest next 12 hrs

I Luv my long, cool, bug-free, summer evenings in PNW.
No AC required or desired.

I use TX for winter break from PNW Drizzle

Old 07-28-2019, 08:01 PM

6,385 posts, read 5,110,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some people do not want to deal with snow period, or the cold. If they have to put up with summers of scorching temps or very high humidity, for them that's a small price to pay for not having fear of falling on ice or shoveling snow, or driving on icy slick roads.
True. Snow and ice can be dangerous.

If i had to choose one, it would be Florida.

The lack of trees in Arizona and the forests don't count (lol) is not for me.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:09 PM

12,129 posts, read 5,204,640 times
And then of course there are people inbetween that don't mind some cold, and a little snow. Those people are moving more and more towards TN and the Carolinas. The Pacific Northwest is already overpriced for many and not affordable.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 PM

670 posts, read 358,144 times
We moved to AZ from CO for several reasons. AZ doesn’t tax SS income, the winters are 20 degrees warmer, In-n-Out sells burgers here, and in 2016 they had a buy one get one free sale on houses. Real estate prices in CO went bonkers. We sold our 1960s cracker box house on a few acres and left with enough to buy two modern homes in sunny AZ. The housing market here is now on a tear, so we might downsize more and move yet again.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 PM

670 posts, read 358,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
True. Snow and ice can be dangerous.

The lack of trees in Arizona and the forests don't count (lol) is not for me.
We live in AZ east of Tucson. Iím looking out the window now and see dozens of palo verde and acacia trees intermixed with saguaro and giant agave stalks 30 feet tall. Our neighborhood doesnít allow them, but other areas have 50-foot palm trees and Arizona cypress. Where do people get this notion that AZ is treeless?

Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 PM

390 posts, read 75,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Where do people get this notion that AZ is treeless?
Same place they get the idea Chicago is cold. Chicago is further south than balmy and mild Rome Italy.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:48 PM

8,887 posts, read 7,763,699 times
Lots of them dont move there permanently. They buy a place and live during winter usually 2-6 months. Some towns are like ghost towns in summer.

Az is full of trees and forests. There is a huge area of mountains and high plateau starting up around the grand canyon, south through the Flagstaff area and flows east to east central AZ, and on into NM. Its a beautiful area.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:00 PM

5,261 posts, read 677,183 times
I relocated from CT to FL after retiring primarily because I couldn't afford to be a snowbird so I picked one. Also, I was sick of the shorter days in the winter and the cold/snow. Plan A was moving to FL and Plan B was returning to my home town in WNYS. I knew that if Plan B panned out I would probably never leave (that's why it was "Plan B" ) I have lived in the Northeast my entire life, and I wanted a change while I was still young enough to do it (though the last move nearly killed me...)

My family is spread all over the country. I also needed a break from Kid #1--or more accurately, she needed a break from me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or