U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,052,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. I’ve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Aren’t the climates very similar?

Social Security is taxable in NM but not in AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM

4,336 posts, read 2,640,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
So moving to/from $500k costs between $40k-$50K?. That's a very very expensive move.
I assume RE agent fees are part of that. Last house we sold we paid the agent 5%. Our moving costs were another 3-4% so 10% total sounds about right.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM

12,151 posts, read 5,230,892 times
Quote:
I’m curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. I’ve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Aren’t the climates very similar?
It depends on where you are coming from. Arizona is much more conveniently located if you are coming from CA and there are many CA transplants there. They can easily drive to So Cal to visit family. It's only about a half day drive give or take depending where in CA you want to visit and where you live in Arizona.
It's also much closer to Vegas and Laughlin for trips there and of course there is the Colorado River for recreation.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:20 PM

14,134 posts, read 7,546,700 times
Quote:
Iím curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. Iíve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Arenít the climates very similar?

Because they didn't take a left at Albuquerque?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awu7g7eQbdc

Old 08-02-2019, 02:29 PM

252 posts, read 43,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
So true! but in So Cal you're stuck on the freeway for hours and you're paying big bucks$$$ just to rent there. Its getting harder to find a good balance.....unless you're rich.
The costs, traffic, taxes and regulations are all part of the reasons we are leaving SoCal. NV is kind of like having FL taxes with Phoenix AZ weather. We came close to moving to AZ - Taxes may be fairly low in AZ but why pay them if there is an alternative.

I lived in FL for a while, FL has too many bugs and terrible humidity.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 PM

706 posts, read 366,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
So moving to/from $500k costs between $40k-$50K?. That's a very very expensive move.
Sure if youíre paying a 5-7% real estate commission and using professional movers. Many retirement communities now have buy-in or impact fees that can amount to thousands of dollars, and there are always costs associated with setting up in a new location. It all adds up.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 PM

32,051 posts, read 20,189,752 times
I wouldn't lump the cost to move with the costs associated to sell your house.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,214,157 times
Why do seniors move to Florida and Arizona?

Haven't you seen an older person all bundled up in sweaters and a blanket when everyone else is in T-shirts? Old people get cold. Florida and Arizona keep them warm.

They are SICK of shoveling snow and bundling up in winter clothing half the year (at least up here in Canada)

While Florida is often warm and moist/muggy, Arizona has a dry heat= better for arthritis sufferers.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 PM

14,303 posts, read 24,091,411 times
Quote:
Iím curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. Iíve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Arenít the climates very similar?
The climate of Arizona tends to be warmer than NM. AZ has much milder winters. Also, there is a significant difference in cultures between the two states that is very noticeable when you spend time in both.

I have had two friends retire to the ABQ area in the past five years and both moved back to the Midwest.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 7,781,438 times
We liked a few years in Az for the winter. But summer comes and almost everyone I know left town. Too hot for too long.

There are many reasons NM is not a very popular retirement lication and never will be. The medical care is barely adequate, they tax everything in sight, the crime rate is through the roof. Plus they are worse off for water than AZ. When I had to cross NM I did it with haste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or