U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 2,920,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't lump the cost to move with the costs associated to sell your house.
The 10% figure was quoted as a rough cost to change residence so it should lump all that together. Also any fees like closing costs, costs to go house hunting in the intended area, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM

32,101 posts, read 20,222,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
The 10% figure was quoted as a rough cost to change residence so it should lump all that together. Also any fees like closing costs, costs to go house hunting in the intended area, etc.
We're moving 3000k miles, so I'm familiar with the costs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 PM

6,776 posts, read 3,754,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Iím curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. Iíve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Arenít the climates very similar?
Good question. I relocated to New Mexico because it offered everything I wanted at a reasonable cost and without crowds (2 million in NM vs. 7 million in AZ). The four season climate in the NM high desert beats the heat of Arizona hands down. We have a short, mild winter. Albuquerque's hottest ever recorded temperature is 107. Humidity is often single digets. I don't have or need AC. Cultural diversity is a major factor in NM, less so in AZ. That may influence some to choose one over the other. I like diversity. There are over 20 Indian Pueblos/Reservations in NM and the state is heavily Hispanic. Spanish is commonly spoken. NM is a blue state with some red spots. AZ is pretty much the opposite. My taxes went up a bit when I moved here. My COL went down a bit. I don't mind the taxes (there's no personal property tax). NM is a poor state and struggles a bit because of it. It is the most family oriented place I've ever lived. I live between Santa Fe and Albuquerque with a commuter train going both ways that is free for seniors every Wednesday.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,714,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. I’ve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Aren’t the climates very similar?
I wonder this all the time too. I guess its taxes are higher in NM.

On a personal note in thinking AZ vs. NM it seems as if AZ has more wildlife but I'm not sure why.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:39 AM

6,776 posts, read 3,754,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
On a personal note in thinking AZ vs. NM it seems as if AZ has more wildlife but I'm not sure why.
I can't think of much difference in this respect. Habitat might be a bit different. Arizona has the Sonora desert and Saguaro cactus while New Mexico has the Chihuahuan desert and mostly Cholla cactus. There are some real differences in plant diversity. The Chihuahuan desert is the most diverse in terms of desert plants. It has a lot to do with the elevation. An occasional Jaguar will visit SW New Mexico and the eastern plains have Pronghorns with Elk in the mountains. I have Coyotes in my yard many nights caught on my critter-cam. There is a sizeable herd of introduced Kalahari Oryx near White Sands. Somebody's escaped Guinea Pig was living in my Honeysuckle.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 AM

2,972 posts, read 1,618,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
.....There is a sizeable herd of introduced Kalahari Oryx near White Sands. .....
There's a pretty good story in that I bet! Did you know that in the 19th century camels were introduced to the Southwest as a potential transportation option in the deserts instead of horses, didn't really work out. (It may actually have been an Army experiment iirc.) But a number of them got free, or released, & wandered around wild for a number of years scaring the bejeepers out of the occasional human that came across their path & had never seen any creature like that.

There are descriptions of "monsters" seen in the remote southwest by cowboys & old coots which were probably camels.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:33 AM

14,308 posts, read 24,104,446 times
There is still a camel farm in Yuma these days.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM

780 posts, read 1,857,416 times
Why do seniors move to Florida?

So they can use their outdoor swimming pools year round?

Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,982,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Because they didn't take a left at Albuquerque?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awu7g7eQbdc
Gave reps!

Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 413,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
There's a pretty good story in that I bet! Did you know that in the 19th century camels were introduced to the Southwest as a potential transportation option in the deserts instead of horses, didn't really work out. (It may actually have been an Army experiment iirc.) But a number of them got free, or released, & wandered around wild for a number of years scaring the bejeepers out of the occasional human that came across their path & had never seen any creature like that.

There are descriptions of "monsters" seen in the remote southwest by cowboys & old coots which were probably camels.
If you ever drive through Quartzite, AZ, thereís a memorial to Hi Jolly. Itís an interesting story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or