U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:22 PM

5,623 posts, read 3,971,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Simple and quick answer for the most part is because they are still affordable for many and have warm winters or winters that are mostly without snow.
Then you divide the two states between people that don't mind humidity and those that prefer dry air. There you have it in a nutshell.
I agree with you about the weather.
However, they are really not affordable any more. Not like they used to be. Florida, in particular, has become expensive over the last twenty years. Arizona is not far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:15 PM

3,362 posts, read 2,327,642 times
EXcellent repsonses!! I can understand the climate thing. I moved to Queensland AU, though at age 48.
Lots of pensioners here as well, due to low COL ( by Oz standards) as well as ideal climate. Even winters here have highs in low 70s and lows low 50s, and DRY.
Summers a tad humid but mid to upper 80's and lows in low 70s to upper 60s and SUN!!

Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM

6,088 posts, read 2,959,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m curious why Arizona became the go-to state vs New Mexico. I’ve never been to either place, but New Mexico is actually more centrally located than Arizona and is just west of Texas and south of Colorado. Aren’t the climates very similar?
Their climates are similar in a general sense in that they are warm dry places with mild winters, but Phoenix and Tuscon are much warmer than the higher desert of Albuquerque in the winter.

Avg high/low temperatures Phoenix:
Nov 76/51
Dec 68/44
Jan 68/45
Feb 72/48

Avg low temperatures Albuquerque:
Nov 59/34
Dec 49/26
Jan 49/25
Feb 55/30

There is no right or wrong answer here since everyone has their own preference, but for many people that is one third of the year where Arizona is a far more comfortable place to be than New Mexico. If it's 72 degrees I'm sitting outside on my patio enjoying the weather, but if it's 52 degrees I'm inside wishing it was a bit warmer. If it's 45 at dawn I'd be heading out to the lake to go fishing, I wouldn't be doing that if it was 25. Again that's just me, to each their own right?

Some like having the advantages of a megacity like Phoenix nearby, for others that is just disadvantages so they want nothing to do with it. I liked being near the bigger city when working (lots more opportunity in my career, more stuff going on, more diversity, etc.) but in retirement maybe I'd prefer a smaller city a couple hours away.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,074 posts, read 54,899,617 times
This is where I disagree, but am probably the exception. Here snow is rare, but it shuts everything down, and it's a nightmare trying to drive anywhere in it. In retirement, I could really enjoy it, not having to go anywhere, but just look out the window at it while cozy and warm in front of the fireplace. The 60s and 70s in winter have no appeal to me, winter is supposed to be cold.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM

5,623 posts, read 3,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is where I disagree, but am probably the exception. Here snow is rare, but it shuts everything down, and it's a nightmare trying to drive anywhere in it. In retirement, I could really enjoy it, not having to go anywhere, but just look out the window at it while cozy and warm in front of the fireplace. The 60s and 70s in winter have no appeal to me, winter is supposed to be cold.
Some of the greatest natural beauty I have ever seen was either in the middle of a snowstorm, or right afterwards. We have lots of trees at our house, and to see them sometimes after a snow...........breathtaking, depending on the light, etc. There can be so many varieties of how they look in snow.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,593,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
EXcellent repsonses!! I can understand the climate thing. I moved to Queensland AU, though at age 48.
Lots of pensioners here as well, due to low COL ( by Oz standards) as well as ideal climate. Even winters here have highs in low 70s and lows low 50s, and DRY.
Summers a tad humid but mid to upper 80's and lows in low 70s to upper 60s and SUN!!
Fascinating! Wisconsin to "Oz". There's an adventure. Weather does sound ideal.

What's it cost you to retire there?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:52 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Some of the greatest natural beauty I have ever seen was either in the middle of a snowstorm, or right afterwards. We have lots of trees at our house, and to see them sometimes after a snow...........breathtaking, depending on the light, etc. There can be so many varieties of how they look in snow.
I get this part, but only want a small dose and then I want it all the way warm again. I can visit somewhere to get that or just watch it on TV.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:02 PM

13,837 posts, read 8,688,140 times
Quote:
Why do seniors move to Florida and Arizona?
They are unimaginative. And afraid, some of them.
Move to Montana! Belize! Alaska! Mississippi, even!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 414,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
After my second trip to the Amazon, I came home and told my wife, “You know, I could live in the Amazon.”

Her response? “You can, after the divorce.”

No imagination I tell you.

FWIW, AZ resident now but we’ll not retire here.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:52 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have the Belize dream sometimes. I would like to be able to drive to see my east coast relatives in a day, or two to see my son in NY with a stop at my son in NC's place on the way. Mississippi? No way. The best thing that ever came out of Mississippi is I-20. At least it makes AL (my birth state) look good by comparison...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or