U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:31 PM

13,837 posts, read 8,688,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I have the Belize dream sometimes. I would like to be able to drive to see my east coast relatives in a day, or two to see my son in NY with a stop at my son in NC's place on the way. Mississippi? No way. The best thing that ever came out of Mississippi is I-20. At least it makes AL (my birth state) look good by comparison...
May want to check the crime rate in Belize vs Mississippi.
But I get it. It's a perception/bragging rights thing. Lotsa people would be impressed by a Belize address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:05 PM
JRR

3,734 posts, read 2,256,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They are unimaginative. And afraid, some of them.
Move to Montana! Belize! Alaska! Mississippi, even!
Corinth Mississippi was on our short list when we were looking at places to move to in retirement.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 414,722 times
Quote:
But I get it. It's a perception/bragging rights thing. Lotsa people would be impressed by a Belize address.
We drove there years ago and spent time in Orange Walk and the Mt Pine Ridge District. It was an adventure but not somewhere I’d want to live. See the Feb 1998 issue of Land Rover Owner International. There’s a good article re Belize. Those were mostly my pictures used. Lol

Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
That's your perception. It's the ocean (clear water and amazing fishing) and what I have read about COL (with some assumptions about how/where you live) that piqued my interest.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:54 AM

1,040 posts, read 797,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Corinth Mississippi was on our short list when we were looking at places to move to in retirement.
I would like to visit Corinth, Mississippi. It does sound like a good place to retire to. Far enough south to miss most of the snow, but not so far south that there is unrelenting heat and humidity for most of the year.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 AM

5,622 posts, read 3,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I get this part, but only want a small dose and then I want it all the way warm again. I can visit somewhere to get that or just watch it on TV.
lol.....I usually just look at it from inside the house...........nice and warm.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:08 AM

4,052 posts, read 2,586,845 times
During the last housing downturn and recession builders had a lot of unsold houses brand new in Las Vegas you could get for a song. I wish I had, then I would be out of Godforsaken California.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM

251 posts, read 37,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why would anyone expect pecan trees in Arizona?

I've heard some crazy reasons to dislike a place but that might be the -- pun intended -- nuttiest one yet.

We have many different shade trees, not just pines and not grown closely together.
My MIL is in Phx suburbs - and she has a Pecan Tree - lots of Pecans every year.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:32 PM
JRR

3,734 posts, read 2,256,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I would like to visit Corinth, Mississippi. It does sound like a good place to retire to. Far enough south to miss most of the snow, but not so far south that there is unrelenting heat and humidity for most of the year.
We thought that Corinth was nice. It didn't quite check all the boxes for us, but I can understand how it would be attractive to retirees.

By the way, Wooster was on our early list as my wife has relatives in Chillicothe and her best friend lived in Westerville. At one time she thought she would like to be close to them, but not too close.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:35 PM

55,863 posts, read 74,880,238 times
Cheap housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or