U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Cheap housing
Like anywhere else, that depends on your standards.

Source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammil...more-expensive

Source:
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ing-in-arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

3,574 posts, read 1,964,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Know what I hate? HATE HATE HATE?!!

Christmas and Thanksgiving at 80 degrees, blue skies and palm trees. It's just not right!
Only because it's "getting old", perhaps? Christmas with 18 hours of dark, temps in the 30's and perhaps a bit of wet snow doesn't seem ideal either, but that's typical here. It's hard to get it just right these days, even in a New England country side setting.

Thanksgiving-a good day for stormy weather. Clouds, rain, snow, any temperature including tropical will do.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

5,622 posts, read 3,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Cheap housing
Florida had cheap housing 20 years ago.........no longer.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
JRR

3,734 posts, read 2,256,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Florida had cheap housing 20 years ago.........no longer.
Like real estate anywhere, it depends on the location. On/near the beach in Florida is one thing. Other areas can be quite different, pricewise

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

20,369 posts, read 11,305,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
ya but... in AZ and probably FL you're pretty much stuck inside late spring to early fall because of the heat about the same amount of time you'd be stuck inside in the midwest or northeast because of the cold.
You're just trading one miserable season for another.
You're not going to slip and fall and break your hip walking from the car to the house in the heat.

You're not going to have a heart attack shoveling heat from the driveway.

Your car isn't going to slide out into the intersection or into a ditch in the heat.

Heavy snow will make you stuck in the house because you can't even get your car out of the driveway.

The heat can't keep you from getting into your car and driving somewhere equally cool.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

5,622 posts, read 3,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Like real estate anywhere, it depends on the location. On/near the beach in Florida is one thing. Other areas can be quite different, pricewise
I think that was really true 20-30,years ago. Now there is no real “cheap” place to live in FL (outside of slummy urban areas).

Old Today, 07:50 AM

6,995 posts, read 12,547,202 times
Quote:
I think that was really true 20-30,years ago. Now there is no real “cheap” place to live in FL (outside of slummy urban areas).
You can say that again.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
There are a lot of factors. One that is commonly overlooked is time. If you are okay with moving anytime in the next year, you will likely get a better deal than someone that is making a single house hunting trip and has to find something. Location is definitely a big one. Down the Atlantic coast, you can expect to pay a premium to get east of 95.

Old Today, 11:18 AM

14,312 posts, read 24,108,434 times
Quote:
Ten years ago, there were many great real estate deals in and around both Florida and Arizona. Several of my friends retired in 2010 and moved to the Fort Myers area for $65k for a 3 BR, 2 BA 2000 sq ft home.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,464,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been to Arizona many times. I even thought i would move there.

The last time i went was in April a few years ago. We left in the morning from Texas. It was a nice chilly day.

We get there - it was horribly WARM. No way

I've only been to the panhandle of Florida. It was okay. But too humid. Even more than our south texas beaches.
Everyone gets to decide what is suitable for themselves, even if it turns out to be something someone else would not choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or