U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

11,095 posts, read 6,226,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Why do people who don't live here always repeat this same idiotic statement? It's July and every time I drive by a park or recreation center in the middle of the day, the tennis courts are full and the basketball courts all have plenty of games going on. There are plenty of people out on the golf courses as well.

It's a myth that it's too hot and humid to participate in outdoor activities in the summer. Not only that, but it's hotter and more humid up north in the summer than it is down here. August in D.C. for example is much worse than Miami. There's a reason that Congress shuts down for the month and that everyone who can leaves town in August. In fact, it's not unusual for the temps to hit triple digits with high humidity in many places up north and in the Midwest, and yet in the entire recorded history of Miami, that has only happened one time over 75 years ago.

So let's stop already with the comparisons with winter up north and the myth that we're all stuck indoors down here all summer as if it was some sort of reverse blizzard of heat.
My family would vacation down in Florida during the summer. It wasn't bad 'cuz there was a pool.

Being a northerner, blizzards didn't bother us too much. Kids out sledding, sometimes helping parents shovel out the driveway.

Bit more intolerant of the cold as I age but it's still doable. Making hot chocolate after shoveling, Doing hot tea,soups and the like. Keeping my cool in the heat, ice water helps, cool type of salads. Someday we might get a pool. Try to do some stuff outside. Guess the idea whether it's too hot/cold, is to take breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,899,279 times
Quote:
Why do people who don't live here always repeat this same idiotic statement? It's July and every time I drive by a park or recreation center in the middle of the day, the tennis courts are full and the basketball courts all have plenty of games going on. There are plenty of people out on the golf courses as well.

It's a myth that it's too hot and humid to participate in outdoor activities in the summer. Not only that, but it's hotter and more humid up north in the summer than it is down here. August in D.C. for example is much worse than Miami. There's a reason that Congress shuts down for the month and that everyone who can leaves town in August. In fact, it's not unusual for the temps to hit triple digits with high humidity in many places up north and in the Midwest, and yet in the entire recorded history of Miami, that has only happened one time over 75 years ago.

So let's stop already with the comparisons with winter up north and the myth that we're all stuck indoors down here all summer as if it was some sort of reverse blizzard of heat.
I posted info about Vero Beach, where I am looking hard, kind of along the same lines a few posts up. Sure, there are some hot days where it is uncomfortable outside, but that's true just about everywhere. Here in Raleigh, we average 2 days of 100 or more per year; Sarasota has had 100 only once since they started keeping records. Even from afar, you can check it out. Go search around for webcams and take a look on hot days. Of course the beaches have plenty of people, but so do sidewalks and outdoor venues. When I lived in CO we used to joke about how people thought we had to shovel snow every day all winter to get out of driveway and kick the deer out of the way the rest of the year.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

4,673 posts, read 4,508,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If a northern Rocky Mountain state didn't work out for me, I would have probably relocated to the mountains of central Arizona. Not Flagstaff, (which I consider a "zoo"). Probably closer to Payson.
Ever been to Eastern Arizona, the White Mountains? I think you would have liked it there.
Never considered Eastern Arizona, and know next-to-nothing of it. If I ever tire of living in a four-season paradise, I'll take a look there. I think the main reasons I nixed AZ was because of the late-summer monsoons, (I detest high humidity), and the desert heat, (have experienced heat stroke and heat exhaustion while cycling - don't want to ever again, especially as I head into my 70s and 80s).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

4,356 posts, read 6,078,501 times
I love living in Central Coastal Florida. I walked this morning around 7 am and it was a delightful 73°. Tonight after dinner, we walked again, took some sunset pictures and talked with neighbors. Mid day, it's hot but not too hot to get out and do errands.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,040,243 times
I moved to Miami (the only city I could live in FL) from San Diego after coming here for 5 years on business. More exciting, modern, cleaner cosmopolitan city, much smaller homeless population, closer to where I vacation, and highly walkable (Brickell). Throw in no state income tax and it’s a more exciting lifestyle for a lower cost.

Agree with MadMan’s description of summer—not as bad as some think IF you live on or close to the water (bay or ocean) and get breezes. Might be 10-20 days you don’t get any breezes where you might stay indoors from 1-4PM, but still certainly capable of going out for breakfast, walking to lunch, and exercising in early morning or evenings on the warmest days of the year.

Last edited by elchevere; Yesterday at 08:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
JRR

3,703 posts, read 2,242,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I posted info about Vero Beach, where I am looking hard, kind of along the same lines a few posts up. Sure, there are some hot days where it is uncomfortable outside, but that's true just about everywhere. Here in Raleigh, we average 2 days of 100 or more per year; Sarasota has had 100 only once since they started keeping records. Even from afar, you can check it out. Go search around for webcams and take a look on hot days. Of course the beaches have plenty of people, but so do sidewalks and outdoor venues. When I lived in CO we used to joke about how people thought we had to shovel snow every day all winter to get out of driveway and kick the deer out of the way the rest of the year.
I lived in Vero Beach from 1958 until 1993 (except for four years in the Coast Guard and four years in South Carolina). As much as I like Tennessee, if something happened to my wife, I just might move back there. Get myself a small house with a shady back yard and spend some time surf fishing. The slow pace of the area suits me and I still have friends and some family there.

Unlike the Orlando area, where we spent many later years, you can usually get a bit of sea breeze in Vero. If you have some shade, it can be rather pleasant outside, even if it is during the summer. As a kid, we didn't have air conditioning, but had a back porch shaded by a gigantic live oak. We spent a lot of time on that back porch.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,325,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I have an old college friend who just moved to New Port Richie. He really likes it. I haven’t been there yet, but I know he was looking for a reasonable cost of living area near the beach. He moved from Colorado also to get out of the snow. Might be a place to consider.

Last edited by funisart; Yesterday at 08:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,040,243 times
Madman:

SoCal’ers, not just Northerners, also complain about FL weather and are notorious weather wimps...the slightest drizzle is their lead news story, “winter storm watch” and the slightest mention of humidity has them thinking FL is like the Forbidden Zone from the Planet of the Apes...trust me, it gets hot there too. In San Diego, we would get remnants of monsoon weather working its way up north from Mexico in August and/or September where temperatures could reach or exceed 100 with no breeze and muggy air (and I lived downtown, right on the bay—not 5 miles inland).

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; Yesterday at 08:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

6,385 posts, read 5,110,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Pecans are a top 10 crop in AZ. From Casa Grande south, I can think of several pecan farms including a huge one which I believe literally straddles I-10.

Someone else said it was geographically driven. That’s true in my experiences having lived here since 1995. We have a lot of residents who moved from the Midwest including Chicago. If you ever go to a sporting event involving one of the Chicago teams, you almost feel like an underdog here!
I remember seeing acres of them in New Mexico along I-10

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

31,891 posts, read 20,122,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Unless of course your car breaks down and you suffer a heat stroke before the tow truck arrives.
When we were in FL we saw friggin' alligators on the side of the road.

Our HI traffic is horrendous. We do all of errands between 10 and 2pm, and stay home on weekends, unless we have a party or something to go to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or