U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

7,865 posts, read 4,820,767 times

Advertisements

Oh c'mon, you've got to go.

Otherwise how will we ever find out later what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

5,023 posts, read 1,911,153 times
What I would do is hire a travel assistant to accompany you. I have done this and it was worth every penny to me.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,456,248 times
Not understanding why you are hiding your vision problems or why you are embarrassed by having vision problems. It is not something you have chosen in order to inconvenience others. It is a fact of your life and affects your ability to navigate the world safely. There is no reason to be embarrassed by the fact that you cannot see as well as others.

Do what you need to do to keep yourself safe while you participate in whatever life experiences you want. If that bothers someone, that's their problem and tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them.

People who know you have vision problems (if they are able to think about anything but themselves) will warn you about steps, curbs, bumps, approaching bears, poles, signs, or other hazards. If they don't know, even the most considerate people will only be able to lament your loss after you've been eaten by the bear you didn't see or assist you after you have fallen because you didn't see something they didn't know you couldn't see.

A broken bone in the middle of a strange city would be a much greater inconvenience to your friends than the small courtesies required from them to keep you from falling and breaking the bone.

It sounds like you could function adequately on your outings with only a little forethought and consideration from just one or two of your friends. Give them the opportunity to do that for you.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

17,152 posts, read 17,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I think you need to be more upfront with everyone about your vision issues. The more they know, the more they can make things easier for you. So, take your husband and go. He can do his own thing when you don't need his assistance.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. Ask the folks at the airport for assistance to get you to your gate. This is a normal request and they have staff dedicated for providing assistance.
2. If these ladies are your friends, they won't mind helping you. Just ask for the help you need. A good friend won't mind holding a hand or lending an arm.

Maybe it's time you stopped hiding your condition and learn to accept it. No one is judging you.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And don't forget that airports have wheelchairs available to get you from your gate to the exit. Go ahead and ask for one to be waiting for you and someone will help you and your luggage navigate your way out.
If you register with the airline that you will need assistance in the airport, you will also be registered for help, if needed, on the flight. So in case of an emergency the flight attendants will know that you have vision difficulties and slight mobility issues.

Bottom line, take your husband along, I am sure that he will enjoy the trip, too; be honest with your friends about needing assistance; and accept assistance from the airline to help keep you safe.

On my last flight the man across the aisle was (I believe) totally blind. The flight attendants assisted him in many ways but were never condescending towards him.

Have fun on your trip.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

5,200 posts, read 8,723,157 times
Smile That's an idea but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What I would do is hire a travel assistant to accompany you. I have done this and it was worth every penny to me.
I'd be OK having my husband along. He's fine with whatever. Very flexible.

I'm not going to be with them 24/7 so he and I can do a few things.

Good to know those services exist.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

362 posts, read 262,835 times
I understand your fear of falling due to your eyesight problem. It's good to be careful.

As long as you are careful, go and bring DH for assistance. Maybe use a cane? Definitely tell everyone. Definitely use the airlines assistance.

If you're not willing to ask for assistance, it may not be a good idea to go. That would be a real shame.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

5,200 posts, read 8,723,157 times
Smile Thanks for all the responses!

All the family knows about the vision issues obviously.

Not sure what my children say to others. I know, though, that they are kind to others with disabilities b/c I've seen them act.

I always remember a time when my daughter would complain about having to learn Spanish and take it every year. Well, one night, we were at the Mall (whole family) and she saw an older man having difficulty - she went up to him and he only spoke Spanish and she spoke to him in Spanish and helped him get where he needed to go.

After that experience, she never complained about having to learn Spanish.

I was really proud of her.

I just know other people are uncomfortable around others with any kind of a disability; I can feel it.

I've been on the sidelines most of my life and hopefully, when I actually retire and possibly move to a 55 plus, I will have more of a social life. We'll see.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,571,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband and I often walk holding hands, it may look romantic, but the real truth behind that is sometime he misses something and trip or I miss something and trip, holding another personís hands help stabilize us. We are at the age itís easy to fall without any serious health issue. I would ask for help if I were going.
We do this too, on uneven terrain or steps. Just for an added layer of caution. Not worth falling and ruining a vacation. I wouldn't hesitate to ask a girlfriend for an occasional "hand" either. They've helped me getting out of a bus (big step) for example. We have to get over our pride...

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

10,615 posts, read 14,400,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I just know other people are uncomfortable around others with any kind of a disability; I can feel it.
Often because they don't know how to act around someone with a disability. Do you acknowledge it and offer assistance, or do you pretend it doesn't exist? If you aren't averse to accepting help (and some people are) then I think letting others know up front about the disability, and what kind of assistance is helpful, can help ease the situation for everyone.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

40,097 posts, read 3,046,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
I understand your fear of falling due to your eyesight problem. It's good to be careful.

As long as you are careful, go and bring DH for assistance. Maybe use a cane? Definitely tell everyone. Definitely use the airlines assistance.

If you're not willing to ask for assistance, it may not be a good idea to go. That would be a real shame.
A cane can help a lot with the depth perception issues, When I was having vision problems, I used my cane ( balance issues) to gage how deep the stop or sidewalks were, it helped me alot. I agree with everyone who said just tell them & ask for help. It is nothing to be ashamed of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or