Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 12:16 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

And how many quit, and have started up again, perhaps too much time on your hands? And what are you smoking and how much? A cigar now and then? E-cigs?

I'm 69YO, still smoking, but a lot less, about 12 cigarettes a day, oftentimes I just smoke a third, put it out, resume later, and I am diagnosed with COPD. I use the empty filter cigarettes and make my own with Indian tobacco that doesn't have all those additives. To have my first cigarette of the day, I just can't describe it, the pleasure it gives me.

I have joked with some of the seniors in my 55+ mobile home community about conducting some Start Smoking classes, and some actually take me seriously.

Let's keep this thread devoid of the health risks (haven't we heard enough of that!), cases of a family member died from lung cancer (but omitting those that died in car accidents or died from other diseases) and no lectures on 2nd hand smoke. Otherwise this thread will spread to 100 or more pages.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-27-2019 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 01:19 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I quit when they went up to 50cents/pack. I'd been paying 35 cents.

Starting a topic and saying what people shouldn't say is rather a lesson in futility. Just because you started it doesn't mean you get to control it.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:33 AM

115 posts, read 60,235 times
I quit 26 years ago just before my 41st birthday. Breathing was becoming far too much work. I never would have made it to retirement if I hadn't. I'd be dead from emphysema or lung cancer.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:34 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Starting a topic and saying what people shouldn't say is rather a lesson in futility. Just because you started it doesn't mean you get to control it.
Yes, and why pollute our Retirement forum with a topic that will only serve as a reminder to so many of us of loved ones we have lost, loved ones who suffered mightily, due to this nasty habit?

Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 AM

564 posts, read 677,857 times
I'd like to know what good tobacco, rolling machine, and papers you use instead of the commercial brands. I am cutting down too, which is a major act of dynamic will power. It is my only bad, nasty, habit. I'm not diabetic, but I still have given up and do not eat sweets, candy, bakery, ice-cream, junk snacks, coffee, pop, tv, cable, driving, sex, and a bad spouse. I never hardly drank much or took any drugs either except reefer, which I gave up years ago, but I still cannot give up my ciggie treats. I would give up everything I own to be able to quit forever. If I go over a certain daily amount, I will have issues, but I always feel the best when I don't smoke, but feel better when I do. I am wondering how OP smokes while still having copd. I never had any big-time major health issues and my doc said I'm doing okay so far...

Last edited by glenninindy; 07-27-2019 at 03:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I quit when I was 50. No tobacco products since. That's one thing I don't have to worry about now I thank Duke for helping me through one of their clinic studies.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:25 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
With the cost of cigs today...who wouldn’t quit.
If I was still smoking today, the financial cost would be $15 a day...no thanks.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:31 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
I quit smoking in 1989, at the request of my husband. He had quit many years earlier, after suffering a heart attack.

I enjoyed smoking and I still miss it. I've always joked that I miss it so much that when I turn 80 I'm going to start smoking again. But I'm 72 now and the closer I get to 80, the more I'm inclined to re-think that statement.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

I've always joked that I miss it so much that when I turn 80 I'm going to start smoking again. But I'm 72 now and the closer I get to 80, the more I'm inclined to re-think that statement.
I joke about it too. Maybe in my 80’s I’ll go buy a carton of Winston’s We’ll see.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:41 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm 69YO, still smoking, but a lot less, about 12 cigarettes a day, oftentimes I just smoke a third, put it out, resume later, and I am diagnosed with COPD. I use the empty filter cigarettes and make my own with Indian tobacco that doesn't have all those additives. To have my first cigarette of the day, I just can't describe it, the pleasure it gives me.
So you've just about given up showering (down to once a week), and you've contemplated giving up chewing your food because it's too much work, but smoking with COPD is fine.

Okay, moving on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement