U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

7,990 posts, read 11,731,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
So far, the worst thing that has happened to me - I hurt my back working on my house about 3 months after I retired. After I hurt my back, I could not walk for 3 weeks. Six shots in the back and I am able to walk but my balance is off and I can not walk far. I wobble when I walk. Looks like I have been drinking. LOL My left ankle is weak and the bottom of my feet are numb. I can not stand on my toes to reach anything. Driving for a distance, I need a pain pill. I do not want surgery as I have seen one of my friends after surgery and he is worst off - needing a walker to get around. I will not have surgery until it is absolutely necessary. It is not as bad as some but is sure cramped my life style.
Dont know the details of your back situation but I started wearing OOFOS at home and out in the summer, basically they almost never leave my feet. Didn't fix my back but I am positive they have helped keep it from getting worse. They were designed for marathon runners for joint recovery. I buy a new pair every 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

13,821 posts, read 6,578,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I fell backward while playing picker ball, I was getting competitive, we were winning, for the first time in my life it hurt like hell. I went home and put on ice and hot bath, 3 days later, I got back to swimming. Itís so refreshing. I stopped swimming because I was starting to have skin rash, maybe itís in the pool.
Almost healed, the only problem I have still is pulling myself out of a swimming pull, still slightly pain, but minor pain. Swimming did help.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

3,459 posts, read 2,377,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Six months after I retired, my husband fell and suffered a traumatic brain injury on our second wedding anniversary. We separated for the second and what was supposed to be the final time last summer. I posted here in the Retirement forum and received an amazing amount of support from so many posters. Several posts moved me to tears. This forum definitely helped get me through a terribly difficult and scary time in my life.

A strange confluence of events caused us to encounter each other seven months later. I used to say my husband turned into an entirely different person than the one I had married, and certainly not one I would have chosen to spend the rest of my life with. The first part of the sentence is still true. He is still not the man I married, but now he is much more grateful, happy, curious and caring than the angry, abusive, depressed person he became after the accident. He returned to our home at the end of March and I finally feel like I am having the retirement I had envisioned. We are even exploring spending our winters in Arizona, the kind of thing that would have sent him spiraling out of control before.

I think the main thing to be gleaned from all of these mostly heartbreaking stories is you really donít know what tomorrow will bring. Your life can change overnight in ways you canít imagine. Being in retirement makes these life events so much more difficult. The financial difficulties alone, not to mention the loss of the love of your life or equivalent. I know my situation could change again. In some ways it makes me even more grateful for what I have now. So, enjoy every day! But prepare for the unexpected.

Thank you for that follow-up; I remember your original post(s) well. I'm glad you are finding some happiness!

Old Today, 03:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,463,263 times
Back surgery. And 11 yrs later, more back surgery recommended. Then again: my life as a professional dancer, riding horses, doing tons of yard work and so forth..... i see folks who haven't done a thing in their life, with the similar issues. At least I have something to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or