U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2019, 08:45 PM
 
261 posts, read 480,221 times
Reputation: 587

Advertisements

We're going to retire this winter. I really appreciate every single reply. It's humbling and honest. I would have never dreamed what so many of you have been through----this is an optimistic group with a winning attitude. Thank you all for a real education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 PM
 
255 posts, read 69,924 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've only been retired three years, so far so good. But you guys/gals don't paint a rosy for my future.
C'est la vie, so to speak. Admittedly, you'll tend to select for health problems in a thread like this...not so much 'well, we won the lottery and are moving to France'.

Our household health problems began almost immediately after retirement, and it wasn't just the Cancer Fairy. The oncology dept. at the local hospital does seem to be quite busy though. This was after a lifetime of near-perfect health and pretty darned good habits. Go figure.

Health problems aside, I've gained a few new theories. If you're not sick, think twice about retiring early or at all unless your job is horrible. I quit worrying so much about living to 95 and planning investments around that certainty. Marcus Aurelius knew what he was talking about. Travelling sounds like an awful activity now. It won't be just you, my wife had her three best friends in the area all die in a few years.

Your own personal decline can be a messy business and I'd like to pull if off with some panache. It's a good homework assignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 PM
 
6,415 posts, read 5,122,551 times
Reputation: 13047
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My pension must have been different. I do not recall my spouse ever being asked by my employer what he wanted with my pension or to sign any paperwork. I was the one given the paperwork and I was the one who designated and signed what I wanted to do with my public employee pension (in 2009).

My friend must also not have been covered by that act. He really, really wanted his wife to sign up for survivor benefits for him on her private company pension but she refused, even though they had been married 45 years at that time. This was about 2014.

I have never heard of a situation where the spouse of worker decides on the workers pension. I guess that you learn something new everyday.
In the military, the spouse has to sign

My second husband retired and i said i did not need his retirement, so he kept it all. I had my own. But i had to sign that paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM
 
1,609 posts, read 598,571 times
Reputation: 3471
I'm the OP, the one with the husband who has Alzheimer's. It happens that I have health issues, too, so we kind of assumed it was more likely I would die first, so I chose the smaller pension, so my husband would continue to receive a portion of mine, if I died first. You never know -- I may still go first, as an Alz patient lives an average of 8 years from diagnosis to death. But there is give and take, according to many factors, i.e. a 90 yr-old newly diagnosed Alz patient is statistically unlikely to live 8 more years anyway.

So, if I do outlive him, I will continue to receive the lower pension amount the rest of my life. Luck of the draw, I guess. But I, like millions of married women these days, was a full-time working spouse, so I will not receive any Survivor SS benefits, only my own check. There are no survivor benefits for spouses if their own SS check is equal to or more than the spouse that died, as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,370 posts, read 4,223,468 times
Reputation: 16141
I got a kidney stone. First time ever in an ER/hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Retired in Malibu/La Quinta/Flagstaff
1,337 posts, read 1,338,014 times
Reputation: 4436
In the five years I've been retired, I've had four spinal surgeries and one knee replacement. No surprises there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,205 posts, read 24,094,701 times
Reputation: 31160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I'm the OP, the one with the husband who has Alzheimer's. It happens that I have health issues, too, so we kind of assumed it was more likely I would die first, so I chose the smaller pension, so my husband would continue to receive a portion of mine, if I died first. You never know -- I may still go first, as an Alz patient lives an average of 8 years from diagnosis to death. But there is give and take, according to many factors, i.e. a 90 yr-old newly diagnosed Alz patient is statistically unlikely to live 8 more years anyway.

So, if I do outlive him, I will continue to receive the lower pension amount the rest of my life. Luck of the draw, I guess. But I, like millions of married women these days, was a full-time working spouse, so I will not receive any Survivor SS benefits, only my own check. There are no survivor benefits for spouses if their own SS check is equal to or more than the spouse that died, as far as I know.
There was no "us" because he died when he was 54. His pension ended with his death. He left me with a massive amount of debt.

You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille...

It's a long shot, but maybe an asteroid will hit my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,205 posts, read 24,094,701 times
Reputation: 31160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
In the five years I've been retired, I've had four spinal surgeries and one knee replacement. No surprises there.
I fall to pieces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 05:15 AM
 
Location: northern New England
2,524 posts, read 1,102,388 times
Reputation: 9799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've only been retired three years, so far so good. But you guys/gals don't paint a rosy picture for my future.
Who knows, maybe you will revisit this thread in a few years, and say, "Well, there was that one time I got a bunion..."


You are probably one of the lucky ones!
__________________
Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 AM
 
8,254 posts, read 11,968,007 times
Reputation: 18228
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My pension must have been different. I do not recall my spouse ever being asked by my employer what he wanted with my pension or to sign any paperwork. I was the one given the paperwork and I was the one who designated and signed what I wanted to do with my public employee pension (in 2009).
And did you provide for a survivor benefit for your spouse? Because everything you've written would still be true and you would have had the illusion of choice. A spouse's signature is only required on your pension paperwork if you want to reduce or waive the survivor pension.

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 07-31-2019 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top