Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
With some pensions you can change the option with a change in circumstances, even if they say your choice is "irrevocable". If you select say the 50% spouse survivor option, and they reduce your pension accordingly, then that spouse dies before the pensioner, the pensioner can apply to have that changed and you might even receive a refund of all the withheld money. I have also seen a provision to change the pension if you had no spouse when you elected no survivor, but got married later.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about for CalPERS retirees:
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/docs/form...retirement.pdf
This would certainly help me if my husband dies before me, especially since I will get no SS Survivors benefit. I figured I would go before him because of my multiple health issues compared to his at the time I retired. I know my pension does say "irrevocable" but I will check this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
No one interested in what you learned in 71 years no interest whatsoever
Everyone thinks I was just white and lucky
Don’t believe me? Ready my posts been at it since 2007

Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

I'll start --
So far, the worst thing that has happened to me (us) has been my Hubby being diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 64. It threw a wrench into everything right at the beginning. .
That's a tough row to hoe. Sending blessings your way...

Old 08-03-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
In addition to losing my husband, I lost his pension, and of course his Social Security check, so my income is now 1/3 what it was when he was alive. None of this came as a surprise, but it sure made me make changes in my life.
This is a very real thing that happens to too many. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:09 AM

I'm retired almost 8 years now, DH 6 years. We've been blessed, have lost a few family members during the last few years but that's to be expected at our age. We believe strongly in the continuation of life/consciousness after death so that helps us deal.

For us, a major downside of aging is witnessing the cognitive decline of loved ones. That's scary.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
I'll throw in here with my post retirement tale, I retired in November 2007, my wife was coughing a lot two weeks prior to my last day at work. She was diagnosed with lung cancer and died within two months of my retirement. She suffered from ill health for years but we didn't think she was so seriously ill until the diagnoses, gone at 57..I wasn't prepared in any way for all of that grief, the new house we'd just bought was full of moving boxes still unpacked.

After reading the posts of others I now see how fortunate we were that she went quickly, she didn't have to suffer years of pain, and I moved on by myself, free to live the best way I could. I spent a few years alone and then met and married a very beautiful lady who had lost her spouse to lung cancer also. We live life to the fullest, and both of us are aware that we will go through that grief again at some point, we accept that as the price we will pay for the joy of spending our last years together.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
The worst: Nothing happens.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:36 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
After reading all these posts, I'm just gonna sit here and be quiet. I've been blessed!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM

701 posts, read 693,405 times
So far, the worst thing that has happened to me - I hurt my back working on my house about 3 months after I retired. After I hurt my back, I could not walk for 3 weeks. Six shots in the back and I am able to walk but my balance is off and I can not walk far. I wobble when I walk. Looks like I have been drinking. LOL My left ankle is weak and the bottom of my feet are numb. I can not stand on my toes to reach anything. Driving for a distance, I need a pain pill. I do not want surgery as I have seen one of my friends after surgery and he is worst off - needing a walker to get around. I will not have surgery until it is absolutely necessary. It is not as bad as some but is sure cramped my life style.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
So far, the worst thing that has happened to me - I hurt my back working on my house about 3 months after I retired. After I hurt my back, I could not walk for 3 weeks. Six shots in the back and I am able to walk but my balance is off and I can not walk far. I wobble when I walk. Looks like I have been drinking. LOL My left ankle is weak and the bottom of my feet are numb. I can not stand on my toes to reach anything. Driving for a distance, I need a pain pill. I do not want surgery as I have seen one of my friends after surgery and he is worst off - needing a walker to get around. I will not have surgery until it is absolutely necessary. It is not as bad as some but is sure cramped my life style.
Tramp --

So sorry about your fall. No fun to have back pain. I hope it will somehow get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement