U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

22,105 posts, read 14,519,093 times

Advertisements

Mayo Clinic uses stem cell therapy to treat arthritis in knee - Mayo Clinic

I started a new thread about stem cell treatments for knees because another thread about knee replacement kept getting sidetracked. This article is short. People who got stem cell injections in one knee had relief in both knees! Subjects got injections in both knees, but did not know which knee got the stem cells.

Anyway, this short article is fascinating.

If anyone here has had stem cell injections in a joint, please share.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

474 posts, read 87,053 times
I wonder if this would work for my L3 L4 lower back issue problem.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

22,105 posts, read 14,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Good question. I have no idea. I suppose it depends on why one has back pain. Mine is because of lower spine scoliosis. Spine is bending to one side. I have no idea if stem cell injections would work on that condition.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

7,888 posts, read 4,828,192 times
"Given that the stem cell-treated knee was no better than the control-treated knee — both were dramatically better than before the study began — the researchers say the stem cells' effectiveness remains somewhat uninterpretable."

"Somewhat uninterpretable" means the placebo effect. It does not mean stem cell injections improve arthritic knees. That still hasn't been proven.

You can have a placebo effect from a procedure in which no placebo is actually used. All you have to do is believe the treatment will work. The mind has a powerful influence on the body and can sometimes trick you into believing an ineffective treatment has real therapeutic results.

Of course this will make the rounds of social media and more people will line up for fake treatments.

Irresponsible of the Mayo Clinic to promote this, IMO.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

6,396 posts, read 5,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Mayo Clinic uses stem cell therapy to treat arthritis in knee - Mayo Clinic

I started a new thread about stem cell treatments for knees because another thread about knee replacement kept getting sidetracked. This article is short. People who got stem cell injections in one knee had relief in both knees! Subjects got injections in both knees, but did not know which knee got the stem cells.

Anyway, this short article is fascinating.

If anyone here has had stem cell injections in a joint, please share.
I have not, but a relative has

I saw the date of this article was 2017.

The relative used to do this in the United States and then he said it was banned.

He now goes to Cancun Mexico to get his stem cell injections.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

13,474 posts, read 6,441,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Some guy I met at my pickle back court said his lower back was treated in Colorado. Using some sort of stem cells.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

24,115 posts, read 8,415,892 times
They work on all joints...just ask the crazy MD who does the most in the U.S. Dr. Marc Darrow. He's got quite a few sites to choose from.

Now, given if insurance covered the injections and replacements....who would NOT choose injections vs the invasive long rehab fearful surgeries? And just going under for any surgery is a risk.

Often PRP and Stem Cells are mixed and then they are done singularly. Either Stem Cells or PRP, and I would choose the PRP.

He does this work on ALL joints, from fingers to toes.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

474 posts, read 87,053 times
Stem Cells to Relieve Low Back Pain?

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

24,115 posts, read 8,415,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
"Given that the stem cell-treated knee was no better than the control-treated knee — both were dramatically better than before the study began — the researchers say the stem cells' effectiveness remains somewhat uninterpretable."

"Somewhat uninterpretable" means the placebo effect. It does not mean stem cell injections improve arthritic knees. That still hasn't been proven.

You can have a placebo effect from a procedure in which no placebo is actually used. All you have to do is believe the treatment will work. The mind has a powerful influence on the body and can sometimes trick you into believing an ineffective treatment has real therapeutic results.

Of course this will make the rounds of social media and more people will line up for fake treatments.

Irresponsible of the Mayo Clinic to promote this, IMO.
Irresponsible? Ask all the athletes who do this work and continue in their fields of sports: Kobe, Tiger, Arnold, Jack, Joe etc etc etc....I posted a link on this in the "other" thread going.

All the medical world has to Wake Up and help the people who don't have the big funds.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,440,945 times
"...big funds."
that is exactly why
we will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement