U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

4,428 posts, read 909,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
For a retired couple, how much do you spend on food and alcohol each month, excluding eating out? We are struggling to stay within $700 per month, which seems like a lot, although we often host friends and family. Just curious what others are spending. Thanks!
You must by a lot of processed and packaged food. I spent MAX $160/month, but I only buy fresh veggies and fruit, beans, lentils, some diary, and meat when it is on sale, usually chicken or pork loins. But then I also bulk up on sale items, coffee, toilet paper, oatmeal etc. and some of that may last months until the next sale. As a couple, I can't see spending more than $300/month as wastage would be less.

Also, be careful where you shop. Aldi's is my go to, and rarely do I go to a Walmart which is way more expensive, and there are only two items I will buy in Publix, their lime sparkling water which is excellent, and occasionally one of their subs.

Hosting friends and families certainly would add to a bill, but preparing food yourself rather than buying it saves $100's over the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

468 posts, read 1,020,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Mine doesn’t. But I can use it outside even.
How many watts does it use for how long?
180 to 300 watts times 8 to 10 hours is 1.4 to 3.6 kilowatt hours.

I use my pressure cooker / induction cooktop on the patio in the summers.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 22,710 times
I don't know how much I spend anymore. I used to jump in the vehicle and trek to WinCo once a month to do my major shopping, but I still had to go to a closer store for produce once or twice a week, so I've quit WinCo except for a couple times a year to stock up on Guittard chocolate chips when they go on sale in November, and they have Jif peanut butter always at least $1.50 less than anywhere else including walmart.com. So I buy 6 jars which will last 4 - 6 months.

Everything else I've found almost as cheap at the 2 close stores after I learned how to shop there. Weekly ads and digital coupons help a lot. A few things I can't find cheap including my favorite cereal, olive oil, and mouthwash I order from walmart.com about once per quarter and save a bunch of money.

With my shopping spread out like that, it's very difficult to keep track of how much I'm spending. I should find out, tho. Starting today I'll put every grocery purchase on one credit card till the end of the month. I'm thinking I might be shocked at how much I spend.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

7,350 posts, read 15,413,645 times
Between the farmer's market/produce stands, the local butcher for meat, the grocery store, we average $100-$125 a week. Sometimes more, although generally not less. The fact that I don't really drink and the spouse brews his own beer keeps that down. We eat out maybe 8-10 times a month, but some of that is "dollar taco" day lunch at the local taqueria and then sometimes it is the local upscale Spanish tapas restaurant.

I don't buy a lot of packaged food items, most everything is "scratch" cooking.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

12,392 posts, read 12,593,710 times
Wow, and I thought my wife and I were eating high on the hog; boneless ribeyes, steamers, halibut, salmon, shrimp cocktails, and fresh vegetables. Fortunately, we have a major independent market and are not restricted to high priced grocers like Walmart. It's hard to tell what it actually costs us to eat, because I have been filling the freezer again, but at a guess about $400/month for 2 of us. At a guess, that's about 20% less than it would cost to buy at Walmart, and we have a much broader selection to choose from. It's one of the advantages of living in a rural area.

We don't drink soft drinks. I substitute a pitcher of water in the fridge with a little lemon juice. A half rack of beer will last us 3 or 4 months, mostly just to wash down pizza, and hard liquor averages maybe $25/month. I did have 4 oz. of Knob Creek Rye last night, and that's $4 worth of booze right there, but I only do that once or twice a month.

Call it $500/month for the two of us, and that includes non-food items like alcohol, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

21,560 posts, read 44,200,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
With my shopping spread out like that, it's very difficult to keep track of how much I'm spending. I should find out, tho. Starting today I'll put every grocery purchase on one credit card till the end of the month.
All my grocery/household item shopping goes on my Amex 6% cashback card (net cashback after $99 fee - about $150/year) - except the bulk Amazon buying which goes on the Amazon card (5% cashback). All other shopping is put on Fidelity 2% cashback card.

Amex monthly runs on average about $350 (some months over $400, others $250), Amazon another $50/month on average although I only stock up a few times a year. I check the Amex card once or twice a month to stay within budget, because I can get carried away at the organic coop otherwise. No clue how two people can manage on less than $600/mo. - even with cooking from scratch - unless they have a garden. Perhaps other parts of the country have opportunities which don't exist in my urban area. And, I'm not wasting time and gas to drive 20 miles to save a couple of bucks for one person. I also throw out very, very little. Once in a blue moon I might have a veggie I don't cook, or a jar of tomato sauce I haven't used completely. But, otherwise, I pretty much eat or otherwise consume whatever I buy.

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 606,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Fortunately, we have a major independent market and are not restricted to high priced grocers like Walmart.
I am confused. I have always thought the 'attraction' of Walmart is that they supposedly sell things at a lower price than at other places??

Truly puzzled because I've never heard Walmart referred to as being "high priced" for anything.

Here in the northeast the independent grocery places are usually more expensive than either the normal supermarkets or the volume retailers like Target, KMart, Walmart, etc

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

31,976 posts, read 20,158,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am confused. I have always thought the 'attraction' of Walmart is that they supposedly sell things at a lower price than at other places??

Truly puzzled because I've never heard Walmart referred to as being "high priced" for anything.

Here in the northeast the independent grocery places are usually more expensive than either the normal supermarkets or the volume retailers like Target, KMart, Walmart, etc
Confused me too, but that seems to be a theme today.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,207,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Fortunately, we have a major independent market and are not restricted to high priced grocers like Walmart.
The proof is in the pudding, as well as the boneless ribeye’s, steamers, halibut, salmon, shrimp cocktails, and fresh vegetables. What independent grocery store is cheaper than Walmart, Larry? Don’t keep us in the dark.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

14,295 posts, read 24,077,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

I do not do Walmart as the quality of the "GREAT VALUE" brand is very poor. However, I do not find their prices to be much higher or lower than the average traditional markets normal pricing. When you include all of the promotional pricing, I find places like Krogers to be cheaper.

For the past two weeks, I have been forced to shop at Walmart as my in-laws insist that it is so much lower even when presented with screen shots showing that the Krogers prices are lower.

Highest priced? Sort of doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or