U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

31,992 posts, read 20,169,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My husband and I are spending about $450 a month for the both of us. That includes food, pet food and household items. All of that is about $375 and we spend $75 a month on alcohol. Grand total $450.

I'm surprised some of you are spending $1,000 a month. Good for you guys, you must be eating like royalty!

Not even, in our case it is just a high cost of living area.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

13,562 posts, read 6,467,210 times
I don’t keep track of what I spend either but I get about $200 back from Costco executive club and subtract fees and stuff that works out to be about $800 per month. Of course I buy other stuff like tires there, but I also shop at other supermarkets too, but they are mostly for vegs, very cheap less than $30 per week. My husband likes the chicken Marsala from Costco. So it’s good to buy the meal packages there. As I’m getting older, I think we will buy more prepackaged meals. It’s better than Doordash.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

23,843 posts, read 17,754,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I donít keep track of what I spend ether but I get about $200 back from Costco executive club and subtract fees and stuff that works out to be about $800 per month. Of course I buy other stuff like tires there, but I also shop at other supermarkets too, but they are mostly for vegs, very cheap less than $30 per week. My husband likes the chicken Marsala from Costco. So itís good to buy the meal packages there. As Iím getting older, I think we will buy more prepackaged meals. Itís better than Doordash.
I miss having those options.

When I lived in Indianapolis, I could get the meals like that from Costco, just heat and eat. Kroger had tons of premade meals like meat loaf, BBQ, various types of chicken, etc., for a buck or two more per pound than raw meat. It was very easy to get the premade meat loaf, just bake it, and in a short time you're ready to eat. Microwave some frozen veg and you're good to go.

There's nothing like that here. No premade stuff beyond a rotisserie chicken. Most of the grocery stores suck. It's easy to eat out like this.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

904 posts, read 482,819 times
We spend about $600 a month for everything. We're retired and I like to cook. I make a lot of soups and entrees that freeze well.

I just got back from a big shop at Aldi and I love that store. Itís not just about the phenomenal prices. Itís a smaller grocery store and easy to navigate. I find Walmart overwhelming. I find our local Safeway not only laughably expensive, the quality of produce and meat is abysmal. We moved to a more rural area from DC 3 years ago. So I no longer have access to Whole Foods, Trader Joeís. I miss TJs but certainly not Whole Foods. Aldi's doesnít have the selection of produce that Whole Foods does, but the quality is every bit as good as Whole Foods.

Almost everything Iíve purchased is of impressive quality. They have tons of organic food. The German brand coffee is fantastic. Cheeses and meats are good. Bags of nuts are cheap! A big bag of fresh lemons and limes is 2.50. I could go on and on. Today the pristine eggplant was .75 apiece.

I cook most everything from scratch so Iím not concerned about not finding the brand name processed products you find Walmart, Safeway, etc.

That said, Aldi is not a full service store. I donít care for their cleaning products or paper towels. Toilet paper is fine though. The spice selection is lacking. And I really wish they sold fresh herbs. I should have grown my own this summer but never got around to it. My husband does not like Aldi's deli ham.

We are fortunate enough to have an old fashioned butcher in our little town if we want a special cut of meat. Believe it or not, theyíve been in business since the 1790s. Yep, same location, same family. We are also surrounded by farms where we can purchase fresh produce in the summer.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I miss having those options.

When I lived in Indianapolis, I could get the meals like that from Costco, just heat and eat. Kroger had tons of premade meals like meat loaf, BBQ, various types of chicken, etc., for a buck or two more per pound than raw meat. It was very easy to get the premade meat loaf, just bake it, and in a short time you're ready to eat. Microwave some frozen veg and you're good to go.

There's nothing like that here. No premade stuff beyond a rotisserie chicken. Most of the grocery stores suck. It's easy to eat out like this.
See where else they carry this.

Prepared Foods at Costco | Fra' Mani Handcrafted Foods

And he also likes this
https://sukhis.com/product/chicken-tikka-masala-4/

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

7,352 posts, read 15,417,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I donít keep track of what I spend either but I get about $200 back from Costco executive club and subtract fees and stuff that works out to be about $800 per month.
I actually gave up my Costco membership this year, as I didn't see the value of it for the two of us - the fees are just too high and the ratio of how much I save versus how much it cost me to "save" money weren't worth it.

Plus I got rid of the chest freezer as I found I tended to forget what was in the freezer and my food waste was higher than I'd like. I used to have a friend I'd shop with and we'd get home and divide the Costco packages, but even that is more food than she wants now.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I actually gave up my Costco membership this year, as I didn't see the value of it for the two of us - the fees are just too high and the ratio of how much I save versus how much it cost me to "save" money weren't worth it.

Plus I got rid of the chest freezer as I found I tended to forget what was in the freezer and my food waste was higher than I'd like. I used to have a friend I'd shop with and we'd get home and divide the Costco packages, but even that is more food than she wants now.
What fees? I get money back by shopping there. Iím thinking of getting another freezer, I donít have enough space in my freezer, two fridges here.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

4,435 posts, read 911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I have to say, I've only been in a Walmart a few times and each was because I was with a friend who wanted to buy something there. And each time it was a complete turnoff, the stores are frankly depressing and messy. Apparently in other parts of the country (from what I've read) there are "nice" Walmart stores but the ones here are clearly geared to - and all located adjacent to - lower income and minority communities.....and it shows. I'd rather spend a little more and go to Target which is not only closer but a far more pleasant shopping experience, well lit, well stocked and neat, nice wide aisles, etc. In fact they have been 'redecorating' the Targets in this area to make them even more upscale-looking. But I don't go to Target for food other than my Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal for which they have the best price at $3.99
I found this interesting comparison of Walmar/Aldi prices. The cheaper prices are highlighted, and almost all are Aldi's.

https://www.mashupmom.com/wp-content...t-prices-1.pdf

Aldi's price for 42 oz of Oatmeal is 2.39. Rolled oats is rolled oats; a brand name makes no difference. I concur, Target has done a good job in differentiating themselves from Walmart, almost all their stores are similarly bright and clean. Most of the Walmart's I go to are improving, but it certainly can be a hit and miss situation. Interestingly enough, most I see have a Target very close by, so they do serve the same demographics.

Quote:
Sometimes it's not all about the price, it's about convenience (time and gas) too. Although I can see that for people who buy a lot of food, especially all at one time, it can be worth it. But for a single person who only buys and uses small quantities of specific things on a continuing basis, sometimes spending a little more actually ends up costing less.
You make some valid points. I prefer quality, but places like Whole Foods often only give one perceived quality, and high prices. Walmart doesn't pretend to give quality, but they often do not deliver on the bargain price either when it comes to most grocery items.

As a snowbird, I was thrilled to see a new veggie/fruit stand near my condo. Some of the prices:

Some Aldi prices at one of their newly renovated stores:

I took pictures to show people back home the great value and quality one can get for very little.

YMMV

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

2,722 posts, read 2,387,570 times
I am seeing some people write they spend $1000 or more per month on groceries. Even if I never ate out and did all my shopping at Whole Foods and/or specialty shops and TRIED to eat that much, I don't think I could.

I don't keep a detailed log, but about certainly under $100/week on groceries for me + significant other. Note: we aren't retired and usually eat lunch on our own (though frequently it is leftovers from the night before) but even if we were at home all day and included all lunches in the budget, it would probably max out at $100-$120/week.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

If I eat bologna, it would be much cheaper. Recent grocery trip to Costco goes like $235 for all meat, fresh halibut for $29, fresh prime rib for something like $40, fresh salmon, something like $28. I can’t remember what else we bought, but meat is expensive. We bought no vegs and only blueberries here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or