U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

7,352 posts, read 15,417,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What fees? I get money back by shopping there. Iím thinking of getting another freezer, I donít have enough space in my freezer, two fridges here.
It's $125 a year for Executive members - I barely buy that much to start with.

Also, Aldi is (other than Southern California) mostly an east coast and eastern mid-west kind of thing. Not found in the mountain states or western states.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

31,992 posts, read 20,169,090 times
OMG those prices are..... insane. A head of ice berg lettuce was over $5 at the store when I needed one.

A bunch of radishes was 4.99.

Can't wait to move!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

13,562 posts, read 6,467,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's $125 a year for Executive members - I barely buy that much to start with.

Also, Aldi is (other than Southern California) mostly an east coast and eastern mid-west kind of thing. Not found in the mountain states or western states.
Yes but if you buy enough, they give you back money. Iíve always get $225-$300 from executive club, this is on top of the Citicard rebates. I get something like $1000-$2000 per year.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

3,567 posts, read 1,579,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pork loin here is about $2/lb at Sam's, more at the grocery store. B.
Sheesh. Now you made me look at my receipt, which I never used to do before this thread but was frustrated at our prices.

"Lomo Fino" (pork loin) is $5 per pound (had to convert from kilo which taxed my math-poor brain)

Mushrooms: $1.64/lb

Carrots: 29 cents

Limes: 95 cents

No wonder the $400/month-income locals live on rice and plantains.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,631,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Aldi's price for 42 oz of Oatmeal is 2.39. Rolled oats is rolled oats; a brand name makes no difference.
Not really. DW has Celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. Cheaper oats are processed by mills that also process wheat so the oats end up with wheat residue on them. So we buy brands of oats that are guaranteed to be processed in a non-wheat mill.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

4,435 posts, read 911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Not really. DW has Celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. Cheaper oats are processed by mills that also process wheat so the oats end up with wheat residue on them. So we buy brands of oats that are guaranteed to be processed in a non-wheat mill.
An acquaintance of mine runs Kinnikinnick Foods which specializes in gluten free foods. Available throughout Canada, the USA and online

https://www.kinnikinnick.com/

Aldi's oatmeal is made by General Foods. They don't mix their production.

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

5,400 posts, read 21,452,220 times
We (2 of us, sometimes guests) eat 100% of our meals at home. We spend about $800 a month at the grocery store.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I found this interesting comparison of Walmar/Aldi prices. The cheaper prices are highlighted, and almost all are Aldi's.

https://www.mashupmom.com/wp-content...t-prices-1.pdf

Aldi's price for 42 oz of Oatmeal is 2.39. Rolled oats is rolled oats; a brand name makes no difference. I concur, Target has done a good job in differentiating themselves from Walmart, almost all their stores are similarly bright and clean. Most of the Walmart's I go to are improving, but it certainly can be a hit and miss situation. Interestingly enough, most I see have a Target very close by, so they do serve the same demographics.

You make some valid points. I prefer quality, but places like Whole Foods often only give one perceived quality, and high prices. Walmart doesn't pretend to give quality, but they often do not deliver on the bargain price either when it comes to most grocery items.
Thanks for the pics and the pdf. I will confess that I've VERY brand-loyal unless/until the brand starts to consistently disappoint me in some way -- at which time I kick it to the curb, LOL. For example I bought Ecce Panis ciabatta bread for years until they changed the recipe by upping the sodium content to a level I consider unacceptable for me, and also added a dough conditioner that wasn't there before. That was the end of me buying Ecce Panis.

Whole Foods is not ALWAYS high priced, even on national branded items. I've already mentioned that they are the lowest price around for the 32-oz Fage 2% Greek Yogurt (I have not checked Walmart but would never shop there even if they were significantly cheaper) of any retailer. I admit their produce is a bit higher but since I only buy zucchini and only 3 at a time it doesn't matter to me whether it is $1.99/lb at Stop & Shop or $2.39/lb at Whole Foods (which is 4 miles closer than Stop & Shop.)

What surprised me about the ongoing Target remodels was that the stores that have been/are being done are by no means ones that were "dinky". IMHO they were perfectly fine already, but the new decor is quite something, especially in the home decor, cards/books, and grocery sections. Much more like a department store feel than a volume retailer. Not Bloomingdales or course but quite interesting. Here's an image gallery from the Target site showing some photos of what the "fancified" ones are like:

https://corporate.target.com/press/m...Store-Remodels

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Thanks for the pics and the pdf. I will confess that I've VERY brand-loyal unless/until the brand starts to consistently disappoint me in some way -- at which time I kick it to the curb, LOL. For example I bought Ecce Panis ciabatta bread for years until they changed the recipe by upping the sodium content to a level I consider unacceptable for me, and also added a dough conditioner that wasn't there before. That was the end of me buying Ecce Panis.

Whole Foods is not ALWAYS high priced, even on national branded items. I've already mentioned that they are the lowest price around for the 32-oz Fage 2% Greek Yogurt (I have not checked Walmart but would never shop there even if they were significantly cheaper) of any retailer. I admit their produce is a bit higher but since I only buy zucchini and only 3 at a time it doesn't matter to me whether it is $1.99/lb at Stop & Shop or $2.39/lb at Whole Foods (which is 4 miles closer than Stop & Shop.)

What surprised me about the ongoing Target remodels was that the stores that have been/are being done are by no means ones that were "dinky". IMHO they were perfectly fine already, but the new decor is quite something, especially in the home decor, cards/books, and grocery sections. Much more like a department store feel than a volume retailer. Not Bloomingdales or course but quite interesting. Here's an image gallery from the Target site showing some photos of what the "fancified" ones are like:

https://corporate.target.com/press/m...Store-Remodels
It is interesting that Target executes so well in the USA, yet they were a disaster when they came to Canada. Many Canadians were well aware of "Tar-jay", and were looking forward to them being on the retail landscape. What occurred was ridiculous high prices, a horrible supply chain, and severely understocked stores. They lasted less than 2 years before they went bankrupt. It is probably the worse example of over reach and underperformance I have seen in a company.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/targ...-day-1.2189973

https://www.visioncritical.com/blog/target-canada

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

233 posts, read 196,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What fees? I get money back by shopping there. Iím thinking of getting another freezer, I donít have enough space in my freezer, two fridges here.
Regular Costco membership fee is only 60 bucks a year....we still get money back
K, can use their gas....

That is a bargain in my book..

Our son buys bigger stuff there, like furniture and appliances, TVs.....he pays the 120 a year...his yearly cash back can be 2k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or