U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 2,640,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
This is why I didnít answer this OP. We spend a lot, because we buy whatever we prefer, at what ever store we like. We also do go to Costco, and tend to buy their most expensive cuts. We also dine out often. We structured our retirement so that we can afford not to think about budgeting food.
We don't budget at all, we buy whatever we want. But the amount is still pretty constant every month as near as I can tell. We spend the most on fresh fish, which I love, but it is somewhat seasonal. We never buy farmed fish. We don't eat out much because we live in the country and we also like to cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM

29,954 posts, read 35,002,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We don't budget at all, we buy whatever we want. But the amount is still pretty constant every month as near as I can tell. We spend the most on fresh fish, which I love, but it is somewhat seasonal. We never buy farmed fish. We don't eat out much because we live in the country and we also like to cook.
I had concerns about farm fished and read a couple of good reads. Unless you are buying near the ocean the fish you are buying has been frozen if from the ocean and shipped to your local distributor. You can find farm fish in some areas that was never frozen and fresher. Not always the bad choice especially if there is a prison nearby with inmates doing the farming.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Lunch today made me think of the point that it isnít how much you spend but what translates to food desirability, nutrition etc.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 AM

13,603 posts, read 6,483,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I can appreciate that as the expression goes "Once you go Prime you never go back"!

However if you look carefully you can sometimes find Choice that is almost as well marbled as a lesser prime.

I am afraid of going Wagyu as we may become addicted and that is expensive.
My husband didnít like Wagyu, too fatty for him. Itís not the price.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband didnít like Wagyu, too fatty for him. Itís not the price.
Dang,dang did he fix it himself. I read about folks like him who fear not the price.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM

32,020 posts, read 20,189,752 times
I read that sometimes Prime gets marked Choice at times, for various reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I read that sometimes Prime gets marked Choice at times, for various reasons.
You have to know the store and whether you trust them enough. Fine line between the best choice and the just barely prime. Folks don’t like meat labeled prime that looks close to the choice for more money

Old 08-03-2019, 12:56 PM

4,320 posts, read 2,640,162 times
Quote:
I had concerns about farm fished and read a couple of good reads. Unless you are buying near the ocean the fish you are buying has been frozen if from the ocean and shipped to your local distributor. You can find farm fish in some areas that was never frozen and fresher. Not always the bad choice especially if there is a prison nearby with inmates doing the farming.
I live in Hawaii so there is a lot of fresh fish - ahi, aku, ono, mahi mahi, but we used to live in Seattle so I really like cold water fish like salmon and halibut and Costco brings both of those in. We buy lots of troll caught Copper River Sockeye which is a beautiful deep pink and very rich, buttery fish.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 PM

7,358 posts, read 15,423,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ah, if we go back to prime cuts, I will eat more meat, until then... I mostly take a pass.
Once a week or so I buy a good quality 1.5" thick or more Choice strip steak (aka New York) and cook it in a sous vide, putting it on the bbq just to get the grill marks. The sous vide gets a beautiful texture and a steak that is one "doneness" - medium rare - all the way through, no over- or under-cooked bits.

Fortunately we're not big meat eaters and a single steak about 3/4-1lb is enough for both of us (often enough leftover to make steak quesadillas the next day). I could afford to buy Prime, I just don't think it's worth it. On the other hand, our local butcher has high quality meat, cut on-site, so I suspect it's higher quality than the average grocery store chain.

Today I bought a skirt steak (fajitas!) and fresh halibut.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM

13,603 posts, read 6,483,219 times
Quote:
Dang,dang did he fix it himself. I read about folks like him who fear not the price.
No, I did. He is a cleanup guy, Iím the cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or