U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:13 PM

13,615 posts, read 6,483,219 times

Advertisements

I buy choice meat and throw them in a stew, I just spend less time cooking. I don’t freeze my raw meat, I prefer to cook them and freeze them, so when they come out of my freezer, it’s already to heat and eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 02:28 PM

32,035 posts, read 20,189,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Once a week or so I buy a good quality 1.5" thick or more Choice strip steak (aka New York) and cook it in a sous vide, putting it on the bbq just to get the grill marks. The sous vide gets a beautiful texture and a steak that is one "doneness" - medium rare - all the way through, no over- or under-cooked bits.

Fortunately we're not big meat eaters and a single steak about 3/4-1lb is enough for both of us (often enough leftover to make steak quesadillas the next day). I could afford to buy Prime, I just don't think it's worth it. On the other hand, our local butcher has high quality meat, cut on-site, so I suspect it's higher quality than the average grocery store chain.

Today I bought a skirt steak (fajitas!) and fresh halibut.

Sous vide is on my list of things to try. Now that it is relatively inexpensive I look forward to it!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM

11,636 posts, read 8,513,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have seen articles that sample dining is popular with some seniors.
Those coming for meals is the reason we go at 10am or 4:30 on Friday.

But when I get all exasperated at the people blocking the aisle chowing down, DH reminds me how the Costco stock is doing.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM

4,466 posts, read 916,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sous vide is on my list of things to try. Now that it is relatively inexpensive I look forward to it!!
I know a LOT of hunters who say it does magic with game meat of all kinds.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 PM

56,577 posts, read 54,959,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I live in Hawaii so there is a lot of fresh fish - ahi, aku, ono, mahi mahi, but we used to live in Seattle so I really like cold water fish like salmon and halibut and Costco brings both of those in. We buy lots of troll caught Copper River Sockeye which is a beautiful deep pink and very rich, buttery fish.
Sockeye is the best. Can't always find it where I am.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sockeye is the best. Can't always find it where I am.
Costco has them.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,456,743 times
For me $120 a month, excluding booze. Dogs - now THAT is another subject. 2 old dobermans adopted from Dobi rescue, NM. Drugs $400+ monthly. Food, $150 or so. And we are talking a healthy month. I do garden and can/freeze. I am vegetarian, so although i save money not buying carrion, my expenses for whole organic milk and free range eggs, does cost a bit above average.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

5,003 posts, read 3,501,296 times
I'm finding that since I got dentures, I tend to eat less. Probably because it takes longer. And there are a lot of things I can no longer eat because it's tough to chew.

I had to get dentures because the drugs I was taking after the car accident and back surgery eroded my teeth. Sigh, I sure miss some things though!

That's also the reason I use my crockpot a lot. I'm thinking about getting an instant pot but not through researching.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

56,577 posts, read 54,959,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Costco has them.
Yeah, that's not an option in my alternate universe, which is rural and far from any Costco (maybe 2 - 3 hours).

Good to know in my regular place, though, which has one about 20 minutes away. I've never been to a Costco, but that's two or three things people have mentioned now that are available there that make me think I might take the ride and brave the hordes someday.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, that's not an option in my alternate universe, which is rural and far from any Costco (maybe 2 - 3 hours).

Good to know in my regular place, though, which has one about 20 minutes away. I've never been to a Costco, but that's two or three things people have mentioned now that are available there that make me think I might take the ride and brave the hordes someday.
I eat a lot of fish. At least 8-10 servings per week. So I go there, get the freshest fish I can get, go home and immediately prep them and cut in small portions and put them in freezer. So I have a whole freezer full of smaller portions to be taken out and grilled. They all been marinated and such. The frozen fish at Costco is too salty for me. I need to wash my salt in take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or