U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 AM

14,069 posts, read 6,730,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
How do you all know if the fish was never frozen?

Don't fishing vessels have flash freeze cargo holds, as well as the processing/distribution facilities?

Just because it isn't frozen in the display case doesn't guarantee the fish hasn't been frozen at some point from hook or net to your grocery cart.
It looks different. The ones from Sprouts look much different from the Costco. Plus it always states previously frozen near the fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM

431 posts, read 117,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It looks different. The ones from Sprouts look much different from the Costco. Plus it always states previously frozen near the fish.
I don't buy it.

A commercial fishing vessel goes out for days at a time to catch fish - so you're telling me that at no time in all those days at sea catching fish, they aren't frozen?

Anecdotal of course, but when watching Andrew Zimmern's Best Destinations, the busiest seafood market in Tokyo showed the tuna coming in frozen solid with ice on top for the premier sushi chef's to make the day's choice.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:22 AM

14,069 posts, read 6,730,144 times
Quote:
I don't buy it.

A commercial fishing vessel goes out for days at a time to catch fish - so you're telling me that at no time in all those days at sea catching fish, they aren't frozen?

Anecdotal of course, but when watching Andrew Zimmern's Best Destinations, the busiest seafood market in Tokyo showed the tuna coming in frozen solid with ice on top for the premier sushi chef's to make the day's choice.
For sushi they have to be previously frozen to kill parasites. I usually buy the fish from Costco Roadshow, they are fresh, then I filet them and put in freezer too.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 AM

30,032 posts, read 35,195,465 times
Quote:
I don't buy it.

My understanding is that unless a day catch for local markets they are flash frozen as you suggest. That is why I made the comment earlier about farm raised may be the only fresh alternative in less u are on the coast or it is lake fish.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM

57,314 posts, read 55,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Same here.

We do have Sam's Club, but Sam's is a big cut below Costco in terms of food (especially meat) quality. I had been going to Costco fairly regularly, but let my membership expire in April and did not renew it. The nearest one is a little over two hours away. I have to take a large cooler, fill that thing full of ice at a nearby gas station, etc. It's just a real pain.

We have Earthfare, but they are a poor imitation of Whole Foods or Sprouts. Other than that, Kroger and a regional chain called Ingle's are the only options outside of Walmart.

One of my biggest complaints moving back here to Tennessee is that the grocery stores are very expensive and quality/variety is just awful. The stores here are far worse than when I lived in Iowa and Indiana.

I bought a lot of produce from a local farming outfit that has their own "farm store" this weekend. Local tomatoes were $1.89/lb. They're $.98/lb at Ingle's for ones that aren't local. Corn was $5/dozen. You can get ears for $.33 at Walmart, but they are shriveled and don't even look like corn. I bought a quart of locally grown blueberries for $6. I can get the same amount at Aldi for $3. None of that "mass market" produce tastes anywhere nearly as good as locally grown.
In NJ, I have a good farm stand about a ten-minute drive away. Nice, local peaches and vegetables grown right there, Jersey tomatoes, Jersey corn, and other stuff like blueberries brought up from South Jersey. If you want lettuce, you tell them if you want the red or green or both, and one of the kids runs out to the field and cuts it for you.

I got there one morning, and the guy was just putting out green beans. Born To Run was playing from the radio, and I laughed and said, "You're trying to do the whole Jersey atmosphere thing here, eh, playing Springsteen?" The guy said, "He comes here all the time. He lives only a few minutes from here."

Good to know Bruce is eating his fruits and vegetables.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My understanding is that unless a day catch for local markets they are flash frozen as you suggest. That is why I made the comment earlier about farm raised may be the only fresh alternative in less u are on the coast or it is lake fish.
Farm raised tastes "wrong", though, and it doesn't have the Omego-3 health benefits because of what it is fed. Or so I read.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 353,677 times
Quote:
I don't buy it.

There are multiple definitions of "fresh".
Anything in a supermarket labeled as fresh doesn't mean picked that day, caught that day, butchered that day. It's as fresh as it can be within the FDA/USDA guidelines and rules.

Take eggs for example. The farmer has up to 30 days to get them from the chicken into the carton. The store has 30 days to sell them. So any carton of eggs you buy could be up to 2 months old. They aren't bad though; just not a fresh as you may think.

Refrigerating raw food in transit is allowed and they can still use the "fresh" label on it.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 AM

1,663 posts, read 353,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Farm raised tastes "wrong", though, and it doesn't have the Omego-3 health benefits because of what it is fed. Or so I read.
Farm raised has high levels of omega-6 which is not good for you.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:41 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,765,328 times
Quote:
How do you all know if the fish was never frozen?
I assume any fish I buy was flash frozen, but that is different than frozen. Once flash-frozen, it has to be thawed to cut into fillets and packaged. If it is then subsequently frozen the cells burst from the formation of ice which makes the meat weird, IMO. It is the latter I want to avoid, not the flash-freezing (which does not burst cells).

Old 08-05-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Farm raised has high levels of omega-6 which is not good for you.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or