U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 PM

328 posts, read 159,553 times

Advertisements

Not retired. We might eat out once a month. I don't eat breakfast and bring lunch to work. We don't buy alcohol. In summer we do grow some produce. We are hard pressed to spend $100 a week. Some weeks not even that. We eat pretty basic. Meat or fish for dinner, vegetable and maybe fruit. Lunch we make a salad or make something like chili that we take a few times in the week. When we eat meat we split it. So 2 steaks or 2 chicken breasts are 4 meals. We put more veggies on our plate then protein.

Last edited by EllieKay56; 08-05-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:42 PM

4,572 posts, read 2,726,694 times
Ok, I got a rep with a note from an unknown member, regarding my post here where i stated i spend just $30/week for food for the two of us. They wanted to know just how I do it! (Thats food ALONE, not household or cat food for our single cat).

So, here's an explanation:

First off. I shop at Walmart supercenter with grocery, at aldi (trader joes to some of you) and a local chain, sometimes a regional chain in my area.

Second off, my OH doesn't do breakfast, and my first meal comes around noon-ish, i generally only eat 2 times a day and MAYBE a snack ( usually in-season fruit).
For breakfast i keep a big tub of oatmeal on hand, add chocolate syrup or maple syrup and a little brown sugar or cinnamon and raisins to it.

Ive lost 97 pounds [down from 300], by radically changing my diet and cutting down how much I eat)

Third off, I've been family cooking since I was 9, when my mother coukd no longer do it anymore. I have also spent 7 years cooking in 3 and 4 star restaurants. So i can cook!!! Thats half the battle. ( cooking is about time and temperature people! Chemistry in cooking automatically happens if you pay attention to those two things!!!))

First meat:

I buy the "day old" rotisserie chicken at Walmart, marked down at my store to $2.45. Since we prefer dark meat. But dont hate white meat, 2 breasts make one meal, 2 leg/thighs make another. Thats 2 meals for the week. I also pick apart the rest of the bone meat for at least 2 sandwiches or roll-ups, which is 2 lunches ( sometines more).
Whatever is left ( including the wings) gets boiled to a) make homemade broth for soup/stew and b) get the rest of the meat off the bones for said soup/stew.
A package off egg noodles ($0.99 or less on sale) for the soup and whatever left over veggies round out a chicken veggie soup, so another couple of lunches ( for me at least, my OH doesn't care to much for soup). Another "go to" chicken meal is my Chicken Tuscano as i call it. ( MY creation!!, but you, too, can make it,!!!!)
Chicken of any type, topped with diced tomatoes ($0.33/,can Walmart, ), mudhroom stems and pieces, ( ,$0.49 can Walmart or aldi) and sliced black olives (,$0.89/,can at Walmart), top tge chicken with those and tgen add shredded mozzarella and a little Italian seasoning. NOTE, NOT THE WHOLE CAN!!! Jst what you need to top the chicken. Yum!

For beef I won't spend over $10 a pk of beef. (A 'beef hound' my OH is, but understands its expensive & works at the local chain, so knows prices)
Thus morning i went to the local chain and found london broil for $8.75. ( i don't know the weight, and im not going to look). It will give us 4 portions, so 2 meals. Sunday is beef day, so either london broil or an on sale chuck roast will give us 2 meals, either Sunday and Wednesday or split over 2 sundays.

For pork. I look at whats on sale. This last week i bought an $9.87 1/2 bone in ham that gave us 6 meals plus sandwiches. After we ate oyr fill of ham, the rest is in the freezer for next few weeks coming meals.

So 6 easy meals between chicken and beef, and 1-2 with pork.

Fish is what is on sale. This morning I picked up a fried haddock ( i know not so healthy but tasty) the package for 2 servings was $1.47.no wait, that was the store made coleslaw, the fish was $2.18. It was yesterday's catch/fry job. But very tasty. I buy other fish when its on sale at good prices ( key!!!). We are not so big on fish. And I like a lot of kinds, my OH was raised catholic so fish on Friday during lent as well as fish on Wednesday just cause it was Wednesday. I like hallibut, haddock, sword, salmon, mahimahi, etc, but my OH will only do haddock and salmon. We agree on cat fish if its a great price.

For veggies, i keep cans on green beans always on hand, just a can or two of corn. Also diced tomatoes ( diced, f8re roasted and garluc/herb), mushrooms and black olives.
But i far prefer bush green heans from the farmer's market. I buy fresh broccoli when its $0.99 or less for whatever size/head(s).
Well let me put it this way, whatever is in season on sale or grear prices is what we eat, fresh, raw, cooked, frozen ( leftovers frozen for winter ",fresh vegetables "). We like coleslaw, so i buy the cabbage and make homemade. We like salad with every meal if we dont have another veggie, and i generally buy 2 aldi bags at $0.89 a week, good as a snack or lunch for us. If i want even fresher, i just make sure we have all the fixins.
I usually have carrots, onions, sometimes celery, broccoli etc on hand, bought on sale. Also zucchini and yellow squash. We like spaghetti squash, so i buy that when in sale, and that will give us 2 weeks of that. I like butternut squash ( coming into season) and my OH will eat it with brown sugar and butter. If its on sale, we have asparagus. I will on ocassion during wibter pick up a can aat aldi.

Fruit, half the year we can get tangerines for $3.00/bag, or less, that's my favorite, and apples are my OH s favorite( since we are upstate NY apple territory) at $2.49/bag. They last 2 weeks.
I love strawberries, in season on sale for $1.29/pound package ( grown locally). Peaches ( believe it or not grown here too) and nectarines are also favorites, but more expensive, so they get sprinkled in with the rest. This year i went you-pick raspberry and blueberries. I made red raspberry preserves this summer.

If im up to it, when fruit and veggies when in season abd *cheap,*, ill home can them for later.

Other things i buy in bulk,and often at dollar tree, sych as white and pinto beans (dried, soaked overnight and cooked), mega bags of whole grain rice, hevk i eben found saffron rice, which will give us 6 servings judging by the package, so at least 3 meals. Here in NY tyey passed laws that tge food items MUST be within at minimum 6 months if expiring date, so i know its jot stake leftovers.

So thats basically a list.

Mind you 2 things : one, not everything is bought every week!!!!

The London broil i bought this morning will also be next Sunday's beef meal, so its about $5/week.

Im soaking beans and we will have a small baked potato beans and saffron rice with the London broil tomorrow .

I also spend/save $3/week towards staples, on hand things like dried spices and herbs.

Come winter i will use the crock pot, about $10 worth of stuff to make a healthy stew that will last a month between meals and snacks.

For the occasional baked goods. Walmart puts in the back of the store a rack of baked goods that are day old, "we made too much" or expiring that day. I can get stuff 1/3 to 1/2 off. Especially french baguettes which when diced and buttered/,herbed baked to a crisp make excellent croutons for tye salads!!!

Yum!

I hope you got sone ideas.

* of course those of you in large cities may not find the prices i listed, but you can apply to the higher budget needed. Of course im sure you make more too, than us rural bumpkins !!!

* American cheese, shredded mozzarella, cheddar cheese, pepper jack and colbyjack cheeses are bought only as needed to keep in stock as cheese is a favorite. Brought in the bag or small bricks.
Also Walmart hadms $300 /one pound pkg if deli meat, ham, boack foest ham, Turkey, chicken fir sandwiches, obe or two of thise last us a month. Bread is $0.89 at aldi.

Best if luck as you reexamine your food budget and cooking habits!!!!

* i put $30 in an evelope to go shopping, when its gone, i scrouge whatever is on hand at home.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 09-07-2019 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 08:45 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,005,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok, I got a rep with a note from an unknown member, regarding my post here where i stated i spend just $30/week for food for the two of us. They wanted to know just how I do it! (Thats food ALONE, not household or cat food for our single cat).

So, here's an explanation:

First off. I shop at Walmart supercenter with grocery, at aldi (trader joes to some of you) and a local chain, sometimes a regional chain in my area.

Second off, my OH doesn't do breakfast, and my first meal comes around noon-ish, i generally only eat 2 times a day and MAYBE a snack ( usually in-season fruit).
For breakfast i keep a big tub of oatmeal on hand, add chocolate syrup or maple syrup and a little brown sugar or cinnamon and raisins to it.

Ive lost 97 pounds [down from 300], by radically changing my diet and cutting down how much I eat)

Third off, I've been family cooking since I was 9, when my mother coukd no longer do it anymore. I have also spent 7 years cooking in 3 and 4 star restaurants. So i can cook!!! Thats half the battle. ( cooking is about time and temperature people! Chemistry in cooking automatically happens if you pay attention to those two things!!!))

First meat:

I buy the "day old" rotisserie chicken at Walmart, marked down at my store to $2.45. Since we prefer dark meat. But dont hate white meat, 2 breasts make one meal, 2 leg/thighs make another. Thats 2 meals for the week. I also pick apart the rest of the bone meat for at least 2 sandwiches or roll-ups, which is 2 lunches ( sometines more).
Whatever is left ( including the wings) gets boiled to a) make homemade broth for soup/stew and b) get the rest of the meat off the bones for said soup/stew.
A package off egg noodles ($0.99 or less on sale) for the soup and whatever left over veggies round out a chicken veggie soup, so another couple of lunches ( for me at least, my OH doesn't care to much for soup). Another "go to" chicken meal is my Chicken Tuscano as i call it. ( MY creation!!, but you, too, can make it,!!!!)
Chicken of any type, topped with diced tomatoes ($0.33/,can Walmart, ), mudhroom stems and pieces, ( ,$0.49 can Walmart or aldi) and sliced black olives (,$0.89/,can at Walmart), top tge chicken with those and tgen add shredded mozzarella and a little Italian seasoning. NOTE, NOT THE WHOLE CAN!!! Jst what you need to top the chicken. Yum!

For beef I won't spend over $10 a pk of beef. (A 'beef hound' my OH is, but understands its expensive & works at the local chain, so knows prices)
Thus morning i went to the local chain and found london broil for $8.75. ( i don't know the weight, and im not going to look). It will give us 4 portions, so 2 meals. Sunday is beef day, so either london broil or an on sale chuck roast will give us 2 meals, either Sunday and Wednesday or split over 2 sundays.

For pork. I look at whats on sale. This last week i bought an $9.87 1/2 bone in ham that gave us 6 meals plus sandwiches. After we ate oyr fill of ham, the rest is in the freezer for next few weeks coming meals.

So 6 easy meals between chicken and beef, and 1-2 with pork.

Fish is what is on sale. This morning I picked up a fried haddock ( i know not so healthy but tasty) the package for 2 servings was $1.47.no wait, that was the store made coleslaw, the fish was $2.18. It was yesterday's catch/fry job. But very tasty. I buy other fish when its on sale at good prices ( key!!!). We are not so big on fish. And I like a lot of kinds, my OH was raised catholic so fish on Friday during lent as well as fish on Wednesday just cause it was Wednesday. I like hallibut, haddock, sword, salmon, mahimahi, etc, but my OH will only do haddock and salmon. We agree on cat fish if its a great price.

For veggies, i keep cans on green beans always on hand, just a can or two of corn. Also diced tomatoes ( diced, f8re roasted and garluc/herb), mushrooms and black olives.
But i far prefer bush green heans from the farmer's market. I buy fresh broccoli when its $0.99 or less for whatever size/head(s).
Well let me put it this way, whatever is in season on sale or grear prices is what we eat, fresh, raw, cooked, frozen ( leftovers frozen for winter ",fresh vegetables "). We like coleslaw, so i buy the cabbage and make homemade. We like salad with every meal if we dont have another veggie, and i generally buy 2 aldi bags at $0.89 a week, good as a snack or lunch for us. If i want even fresher, i just make sure we have all the fixins.
I usually have carrots, onions, sometimes celery, broccoli etc on hand, bought on sale. Also zucchini and yellow squash. We like spaghetti squash, so i buy that when in sale, and that will give us 2 weeks of that. I like butternut squash ( coming into season) and my OH will eat it with brown sugar and butter. If its on sale, we have asparagus. I will on ocassion during wibter pick up a can aat aldi.

Fruit, half the year we can get tangerines for $3.00/bag, or less, that's my favorite, and apples are my OH s favorite( since we are upstate NY apple territory) at $2.49/bag. They last 2 weeks.
I love strawberries, in season on sale for $1.29/pound package ( grown locally). Peaches ( believe it or not grown here too) and nectarines are also favorites, but more expensive, so they get sprinkled in with the rest. This year i went you-pick raspberry and blueberries. I made red raspberry preserves this summer.

If im up to it, when fruit and veggies when in season abd *cheap,*, ill home can them for later.

Other things i buy in bulk,and often at dollar tree, sych as white and pinto beans (dried, soaked overnight and cooked), mega bags of whole grain rice, hevk i eben found saffron rice, which will give us 6 servings judging by the package, so at least 3 meals. Here in NY tyey passed laws that tge food items MUST be within at minimum 6 months if expiring date, so i know its jot stake leftovers.

So thats basically a list.

Mind you 2 things : one, not everything is bought every week!!!!

The London broil i bought this morning will also be next Sunday's beef meal, so its about $5/week.

Im soaking beans and we will have a small baked potato beans and saffron rice with the London broil tomorrow .

I also spend/save $3/week towards staples, on hand things like dried spices and herbs.

Come winter i will use the crock pot, about $10 worth of stuff to make a healthy stew that will last a month between meals and snacks.

For the occasional baked goods. Walmart puts in the back of the store a rack of baked goods that are day old, "we made too much" or expiring that day. I can get stuff 1/3 to 1/2 off. Especially french baguettes which when diced and buttered/,herbed baked to a crisp make excellent croutons for tye salads!!!

Yum!

I hope you got sone ideas.

* of course those of you in large cities may not find the prices i listed, but you can apply to the higher budget needed. Of course im sure you make more too, than us rural bumpkins !!!

* American cheese, shredded mozzarella, cheddar cheese, pepper jack and colbyjack cheeses are bought only as needed to keep in stock as cheese is a favorite. Brought in the bag or small bricks.
Also Walmart hadms $300 /one pound pkg if deli meat, ham, boack foest ham, Turkey, chicken fir sandwiches, obe or two of thise last us a month. Bread is $0.89 at aldi.

Best if luck as you reexamine your food budget and cooking habits!!!!

* i put $30 in an evelope to go shopping, when its gone, i scrouge whatever is on hand at home.

Wow... I thought I was good! (spend about $150/month). I probably eat more fresh veggies and some fruit, but little meat, lots of beans and lentils, and very little processed food other than cheese and peanut butter, and lately, the all-natural is available.

Congrats.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:12 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,768,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Not retired. We might eat out once a month. I don't eat breakfast and bring lunch to work. We don't buy alcohol. In summer we do grow some produce. We are hard pressed to spend $100 a week. Some weeks not even that. We eat pretty basic. Meat or fish for dinner, vegetable and maybe fruit. Lunch we make a salad or make something like chili that we take a few times in the week. When we eat meat we split it. So 2 steaks or 2 chicken breasts are 4 meals. We put more veggies on our plate then protein.
Uh, this is the retirement forum, so why the post here?

Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 PM

511 posts, read 348,637 times
I really wasn't sure how much I spend on groceries so I kept all my receipts for August. Grand total was $300 for groceries for the two of us. We hardly ever eat red meat. We eat fish, chicken, and vegetarian (bean or tofu based) meals. I buy mostly fresh vegetables and fruits. I eat cereal or oatmeal or greek yogurt for breakfast; lunches for me are salad or 1/2 sandwich or apple and peanut butter or fruit and yogurt or cottage cheese. We eat out once or twice a week. I shop at Walmart, Costco (for a few items), Sprouts, and the "regular" grocery stores (Fry's and Safeway). I always read the Wednesday food ads and plan accordingly.

Last edited by bigdogmom13; 09-07-2019 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 AM

4,572 posts, read 2,726,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Wow... I thought I was good! (spend about $150/month). I probably eat more fresh veggies and some fruit, but little meat, lots of beans and lentils, and very little processed food other than cheese and peanut butter, and lately, the all-natural is available.

Congrats.
Well. You do great, too.

I mean $30/week IS $120/m ($150 in a 5 week payday month), so you are close.

A few corrections to my post ( besides the fat finger typos): the packages of deli meat at Walmart are $3.00( actually i think just went up) NOT $300 as i listed it! If it WAS $300 PER package, i would not buy it. I also dont keep all flavors on hand, just 2 of 4 at any given time, buy 2 pkgs a month. We dont eat the processed Meats all that much, but its great fir quick sandwich or on the go, or for a quick get-out-of-town day trip lunches.

Soneone mentioned yogurt. I forgot that...wally world has a 4 pk for $1.24 at our store. Fruit and plain. I dint care for plain unless im using it in a recipe, i have to have fruit. If we have something like strawberries or blueberries on hand the plain is fine as i can add my own fruit. The 4 pk used to be $1.00, darn it.

Wallmart has salad dressings for $0.88, a variety. Although we pretty much favor oil/,vinegar styles, creamy caesar and greek are favorites. I use italian to marinate meat as a flavoring.

Here in my area, local to the area is something called "speidies", its marinated cubes of meat they come in chicken, beef, pork or lamb. Basically its the meat of a shish kabob only, marinated, cooked ( usually on a grill, but a frypan will work) served in a roll, on pizza etc. You can do a quick and dirty speidie by using italian dressing as the marinade. Salamidas state fair speidie sauce and Lupos char pit are two major local brands, but a bottle of theirs is more expensive than the $0.88 italian dressing. Once in a while i spring for theirs and use it sparingly or do a 50/50,mix with italian dressing. Yum!

Someone mentioned cottage cheese. Being in dairy country our milk gallons have still gone up to about $2/gal. But with a couple of cups of milk, sone lemon juice, a pan and proper temp and watchfullness to not scald the milk, you can make your own curds ( and whey!!). No, you do not need rennet. I DO keep rennet on hand for other home made cheeses, and i often make my own mozzarella, as we love tomato/mozzarella/basil salad! I grow basil in the back yard, and get the basil 'plants ' they sell at tge grocery store for winter use. I also use basil to make my own pesto sauce.

Other than adding egg noodles to home-brothed soup, my OH loves pasta salad ( at least more than me, and i have cut out most pasta for weight loss and healthy eating), we will have spaghetti and tomato sauce or angel hair pasta with pesto sauce about 2 times a month for a meal. Other wise i make pasta salad, with just pasta, diced onions, shredded carrots and mayo sometimes mayo/yogurt combo. Other times i add graoe tomatoes, shredded carrots onions celery and tossed with olive oil. That at least makes it a bit healthier for me if i partake.

Eggs are a staple as for my first meal ( noonish, so i wouldnt call it breakfast as we are very early risers so my other half can get to work at an early hour of the morning. I like a slice of ham, a scrabled egg and a slice of cheese on bread as my own ",,egg mcmuffin " deal, sometimes on an actual english muffin ( which are jeither English nor muffins they say, lol) that i get at the Freihoffers bakery outlet. Discounted prices. Tuesday is $0.99 / loaf bread day, Wednesday is senior 10% off day, and thursday (i think) is 10% off veterans day. Almost every day tyey have a "managers special" of something they want to get rid of. Also aldi's has English muffins and bagels for cheap, probably made at the same factory/bakery that made the name brands i find in the outlet.
Since yhe outlet is 5- 7 minutes from my house i can shop tgere frugally for the more expensive stuff. Fir example we wanted reubens, so i picked up a jar of sauerkraut, an $0.88 bottle of thousand island dressing,
and some turkey pastrami and swiss ( the cheapest brands but still very tasty) at the deli ( one of the few times i shop the deli) at Wally world. But their rye bread was $3.59/loaf. I refused to pay that, so i went to the Freihoffers outlet, and on wednesday we picked up a loaf of rye for $1.69-10% senior discount, so $1.53, or less than half the Wally world price!!

When shopping, it helps to know your prices at various places. Sone items Wally world beats aldi's, otyer aldi beats Wally. Other times still, the local or regional chains beat wally and aldi together.

Another thing i do is go shopping EARLY at the local and regional chains for meat, as the expiring today meats are marked $1,2,3,5 off their original price of the package. But you've got to get there early to beat out the other frugal shoppers. One day i was a fraction of a minute late. Some guy beat me to it and bought EVERY SINGLE marked off package!! Of course i only buy the marked off package if if makes sense. $2 off a 2 pack of $15.99 strip steaks is still too expensive and way above my $10 limit for a beef package. I DO ocassionally buy hamburg, but not that often as we dont always eat hamburg.

Lamb is ONE favorite...bought on sale particularly for jewish holidays, i buy lamb on sale, and cut it down to freeze by 1/3, plus what we eat, and the 2/3 left over. Lamb IS a favorite, but only if it makes sense cost wise. Thats another "Sunday dinner," favorite.

Same with bison meat, usually ground and when marked off, is delicious in meatloaf!! 'Grass fed beef' is also great tasting, and only makes sense when marked off, but is also great fir meatloaf.
Since i put 8 ingredients into my meatloaf in addition to the meat, eggs, and bread crumbs!! My meatloaf is tasty to say the least (NO ketchup or catsup, thank you!!!!)
Our hest friends favorite meal if its on the menu when he goes along for minivacations is....meatloaf! He just adores my meatloaf...because its THE best. He was skeptical and turned his nose up one day when i made bison loaf. We didn't tell him what it was, just that i was making a meatloaf with meat other than beef. He declared " i dont know if I'll like that!!!". Well afterwards he ate it and had seconds we told him it was bison ( buffalo fir those unfamiliar) he said ',oh, that was great!".

Some of you may turn up your nose at this, but we like liver, bacon and onions, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Some have never had liver cooked right (about 3 mins on each side in a hot skillet, until blood is gone) so you've had over cooked shoe leather, or it was BEEF liver instead of CALVES liver...CALF liver is more tender ( like veal is) Or you just dont like the taste;
and is sometimes on sale, too, to deplete current stocks on hand, I'm sure. Thats when i buy. Since its usually frozen i stick it in the freezer and w have it about every 8 weeks.
Bacon only makes sense on a serious sale too.
Dont ask me why i ever added a dollop of sour cream on top, but i did in the restaurant years ago, and it adds something great to the liver bacon and onions!
I call it delicious 'heart attack on a plate' because of the bacon, we like it smothered in bacon.

Oh. My i have rambled on.

Knowing who has what prices when and where and whether it's worth the gas to go get it is the KEY.
Fortunately, my Wally, the local chain and aldi and the bread outlet are all in about 5 miles on the same road, and are that or less actually from my house as we are in the middle in a classy neighborhood.

There Is A "save a lot" also, if you like shopping and not knowing exactly what you will find, you can find good discounts on name brand stuff. Either bought by the company in bulk so cheap or closeouts, or overruns or even because the primo first class stuff has changed its packaging, so new old stock is sold there.
But, i dont care for their meats, and their veggies and fruits dont seem as fresh as the others for the same or about the same as the others.

Good luck with your frugal shopping and delicious meals!

Sorry for rambling on.

Oh. And i mentioned freezing stuff , we only have a regular fridge with top freezer. Larger capacity. Not an extra freezer. I package wisely and freeze carefully. I think top freezers have more room than these drawer bottom freezers, or the side by side freezers that half is taken up by the icemaker and in the door water fountain stuff.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 AM

10,202 posts, read 12,526,600 times
I am glad I stumbled across this thread because I was ready to ask the exact same question!

Our alcohol consumption might be as high as six bottles of wine a year, I hate the smell and taste of beer, so figure at $120.

We have a combined budget item consisting of food, entertainment, dining out, clothing, haircut/beauty shop and Hobby Lobby for my wife which is $300 weekly or $1,300 monthly because there is 4.33 weeks in a month.

To keep track we never use cash but our bank issued credit card that we can track using our phone app to see how we are doing. Three months out of four we run under budget so we carry the amount under over to the next month so it isn't unusual to have $1,500 months. This is good because I paid for a family night out Saturday evening and the bill came to $228 but it is in the budget.

Billing cycle is the 17th of the month when I get the billing statement on my phone app which is immediately paid in full the same day we receive it.

We don't spend anything on clothes anymore and the beauty shop runs $80/month if my wife has highlights or $50 if she doesn't.

We go to Aldi's who has the best prices on organic foods but they don't always have everything. We can buy orange juice at Aldi's for $1.99 when the exact same thing runs $4.75 at Wal-Mart. We hit Aldi's twice a month.

Our once a month stop is Sam's Club where it isn't unusual for us to spend $300-400 but that covers food and items like paper towels and cleaning supplies.

If we had to I think we could cut our spending to $600 and live well enough, no more hair highlights, but we enjoy living life and we do occasionally spurge like we did Saturday night. Why not when it is in the budget?

Oh, gasoline is in the $1,300 as well but our driving averages 600 miles/month at 28 mpg.

I still work commute 800 miles but that expense, with the expense of living away for two weeks every month, is not included in the $1,300 as I keep a separate budget of $400 just for me when I am away. I keep it separate because when I do finally really retire that expense will go away.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:15 AM

126 posts, read 34,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I really wasn't sure how much I spend on groceries so I kept all my receipts for August. Grand total was $300 for groceries for the two of us. We hardly ever eat red meat. We eat fish, chicken, and vegetarian (bean or tofu based) meals. I buy mostly fresh vegetables and fruits. I eat cereal or oatmeal or greek yogurt for breakfast; lunches for me are salad or 1/2 sandwich or apple and peanut butter or fruit and yogurt or cottage cheese. We eat out once or twice a week. I shop at Walmart, Costco (for a few items), Sprouts, and the "regular" grocery stores (Fry's and Safeway). I always read the Wednesday food ads and plan accordingly.
I did the same thing. I spent $175 at the grocery store for one person. I don't recall eating out last month at all, so that's it for groceries.

I also seldom eat red meat. I love it but it's too expensive. I bought one steak last month and ate it for 2 meals.

Most of my protein is chicken which is normally priced at $2/lb here and seldom goes on sale. Fish is very expensive here and I don't especially like it anyway so that's a good excuse for not eating it. :-)

I love beans which I cook from dried when I'm making chili or soup. This summer I discovered 3 bean salad which only uses a can of each variety. I don"t want to cook them for such a small amount so I buy canned but it's still cheap protein at a dollar a can. I made 2 or 3 batches of that last month. Had a craving. $3 plus the cost of a little vinegar and oil for a hearty salad that I eat twice a day for 3 or 4 days.

Most of my vegetables are frozen steamables, Kroger brand which are $1 for 12 ounces. I eat the whole bag. I buy a few fresh veg including cucumbers for a marinated salad and bags of cole slaw which I make my own dressing for. I buy avocados on sale but they didn't go on sale last month so when they do, my monthly spending might be several dollars higher. I got a few summer squash for free from a neighbor's surplus.

I eat a fruit or 2 every day. Last month Albertson's had local peaches on sale for 1.28/lb so about half my consumption was peaches. There was no other low priced fruit. Not even melons went on sale. So I bought higher priced melons and some apples and nectarines.

Breakfast is a cereal that I've never seen on sale. Over $5 at Fred Meyer and I never make the trek to WalMart so I buy it at walmart.com to get it for $3.80. I order 8 boxes at a time to get free shipping.

Snacks are fruit or nuts, which come to think of it I didn't have to buy last month. I bought a big bag of raw almonds from the bulk bin and keep it in the freezer. So actually my total grocery billl would have been another $10 if I had bought what I consumed. I snack on peanut butter too which I make a special trip to buy at $2 cheaper so I get 6 jars at a time. I probably ate most of a jar so there's another $3.50 that I ate but didn't spend. So I spent close to $190 last month, and I ate the same as I pretty typically do, I think.

I buy crackers and chips (which I don't eat often but keep on hand for a treat) when Albertson's or Fred Meyer has their "buy 3 for" sales. A bag of chips that normally costs $4.25 or a box of Triscuits or Wheat Thins that cost $3.79 can be had for $1.80 or so. Good value if you can resist eating all 3 bags at once. Not so good if you can't.

Last edited by LeeHoLee; 09-08-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM

328 posts, read 159,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Uh, this is the retirement forum, so why the post here?
Because at 63 I could be retired. We practice living frugally.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 5,010,217 times
We spend about $125 a week, plus we go to Costco once a month and the food portion of that is about $150. At Costco we get rotisserie chicken, fresh pork chops, bagged salad, canned drinks and large bottles of juice, pasta, rice packets, frozen fish and chicken, protein shakes, and sometimes snack foods like nuts or granola bars. I have a freezer in the basement, so we get the large packages of chops, and sometimes other meats or fish, and I divvy them up into two serving packages and use my Foodsaver to get them ready to freeze.

Everything else we get at the local grocery, or the farmers market. The produce at the grocery is very much a cr*pshoot. You really have to look to get the freshest you can, so if something's not looking good, I just skip it. Sometimes though they get excellent really fresh stuff, like sweet corn, tomatoes, or watermelon, from the local farmers, but usually the fruit is not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or