U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 AM

328 posts, read 160,079 times

Advertisements

Our local grocery store, owned by Kroger is called Pick B Save. In the produce department they package produce that's not great for .99 cents. Yesterday I picked up 3 packs of colored peppers, 4 apples and a tub of cherry tomatoes. Then the chicken breasts were dated for that date. Again 99 cents a pound. I bought 2 packages and we will grill them today. I use to shop Wal-Mart but find better prices and quality at our grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:53 AM

126 posts, read 35,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Our local grocery store, owned by Kroger is called Pick B Save. In the produce department they package produce that's not great for .99 cents. Yesterday I picked up 3 packs of colored peppers, 4 apples and a tub of cherry tomatoes. Then the chicken breasts were dated for that date. Again 99 cents a pound. I bought 2 packages and we will grill them today. I use to shop Wal-Mart but find better prices and quality at our grocery store.

I see chubs of hamburger that are sharply marked down as they get to their expiration date at my local Kroger (Fred Meyer) but never chicken. The hamburger can go as low as 75 cents a pound. During chili season I wait to find that sale then make a humongous pot with 4 or 5 pounds of burger and 2 pounds of dried kidney beans and freeze individual servings.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:56 AM

4,384 posts, read 6,130,204 times
A ridiculous amount. We don't keep track. At this age we like certain things, healthy tasty foods and good drinks. We did our scrimping back when our tastebuds were immature. The Skittles and Pringles left the house when our kid left home.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 AM

6,075 posts, read 5,012,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I see chubs of hamburger that are sharply marked down as they get to their expiration date at my local Kroger (Fred Meyer) but never chicken. The hamburger can go as low as 75 cents a pound. During chili season I wait to find that sale then make a humongous pot with 4 or 5 pounds of burger and 2 pounds of dried kidney beans and freeze individual servings.
You could get it and just fry it up into crumbled cooked beef, then pack and seal that, and freeze the cooked beef until ready to use in chili, tacos, etc. You could also cook up patties on the grill and then pack and freeze the patties. Just thaw, nuke and serve, or reheat on the grill. Once you cook it to 165 degrees any bacteria is dead and it's safe to eat, or freeze and eat later.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM

8,756 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Just finished reading all the posts. Whew! Can't believe how much some folks spend on food. I've always been able to eat fairly cheap and spend less than $200 mo. just for me. I only shop every three or four weeks and have been doing some stocking up lately as well.

I buy very little processed or canned foods. Veggies are either fresh or frozen, fruits always fresh and haven't bought much red meat in a long time. Once a month, or less, maybe a crockpot roast. I like to buy pork loin roasts, cut half into chops and roast the other half. I cook larger amounts than are 'enough' and freeze for 'lazy days'. It's hard to cook for just one sometimes. I don't eat as much as I used to either so that helps. I mostly eat fish, chicken and pork. Buy them in the family pack and usually get 5 to 8 meals out of one pack. I've also been buying a package of ham 'bits and pieces' for about $5 and that lasts a while. I use the bigger pieces for breakfast or casseroles and the smaller ones for sandwiches. It's real spiral ham so none of that lunchmeat junk.

No alcohol, no eating out or fast food. I avoid most of the bakery, except for breads, and bake my own 'goodies'. In dairy, in addition to milk and eggs, I stock up on yogurt, cottage cheese and REAL butter. During the holidays butter goes on sale and I'll buy about 8 pounds for the freezer. Lasts me all year. I also buy flavored creamers because I like them in iced coffee and one lasts me a week so I buy two or three. Who needs Starbucks?? lol

The other day I spent $110 on food than went to Family Dollar and spent $40 on household supplies....paper, plastic, laundry 'stuff', cat food, litter, etc.. Won't have to buy any of that for a while. I don't count that as part of my food bill though.

I hate and detest shopping so don't go often. I order online and go pick it up on my own time table. Doing that keeps me from impulse shopping too so I save some money that way.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 PM

844 posts, read 30,688 times
I usually spend $50 or more.....

The last time I shopped yesterday I spent 45...

Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM

6,642 posts, read 3,450,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
f.

I did not see any other responses from seniors who raise their own food, so I felt it would be a good basis for comparison. If you can grow anything at all yourself, I would encourage you. The stuff in the grocery stores tastes like cardboard by comparison.
We raise much of our food. We bought a farm for a retirement adventure and healthy living.
We have a huge organic garden and grow three varieties of raspberries, some blueberries, strawberries, pears and apples for fruit. And we grow a huge variety of vegetables. We have free range chickens and a spring fed pond full blue gill, crappie, and bass.

During the deep winter when even the vegetables under cover will freeze, we have a hard time eating produce from the grocery store — it ALL tastes like cardboard. There’s something about growing food in really healthy rich soil that gives a flavor and crispness to produce you just can’t get otherwise.

We think the garden and chicken eggs produce approximately $2,500–$3;000 a year for us, as it’s all organic.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I used to grow all sorts of things.

I would also can and dehydrate. This year i only grew tomatoes. I will tolerate store tomatoes, but homegrown is one thing i can not live without. The flavor - OMG

Hopefully i will snap back into doing more gardening. Homegrown lettuce, corn, okra, cucumbers, peppers,
We try to take a year off every once in a while from gardening, but it’s like a sickness once spring comes and we crave to get in there diggin and planting.

Funny about cucumbers — my husband never ate them before we started gardening. He thought they were these dumb wet white slimy things people put in salads. Home grown cucumbers actually have a slightly sweet and richly mineral taste that is amazing. He eats thick raw slices now as snacks!

Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$ We eat very healthy, lots of fresh veggies, salmon, and Costco chickens (20 servings per bird) soups, salad, burrito...
Please tell us how to get 20 servings per one chicken!!

Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,837,190 times
Do you use coupons?
Buy two for one?
Buy items on sale?

Stock up when items are on sale.

No way we would hit 700 for 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or