U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM

32,654 posts, read 20,569,991 times

Advertisements

Our's are for a Costco chicken too. We just eat small portions when it comes to proteins most days.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 1,019,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those must be some humongous chickens. My wife and I can manage on one breast each, or a leg and thigh along with a wing. That's the Costco Rotisserie sized chickens. We get two meals out of them though I have gotten 3 when I used the carcass for soup.
Nope, just normal chickens.

I use a lot of veggies to go with them, especially lentils, although for some meals I use sweet potatoes or brown rice spaghetti.

It looks like you get a total of 6 meals from the Costco chickens. I understand why... because rotisserie chickens taste so darn good, it's a lot harder to constrain oneself. I'm no different, hence I went to the raw chicken that I have to cut apart myself.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,482 posts, read 55,482,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Nope, just normal chickens.

I use a lot of veggies to go with them, especially lentils, although for some meals I use sweet potatoes or brown rice spaghetti.

It looks like you get a total of 6 meals from the Costco chickens. I understand why... because rotisserie chickens taste so darn good, it's a lot harder to constrain oneself. I'm no different, hence I went to the raw chicken that I have to cut apart myself.
We used to do that but the whole raw chicken costs more than the cooked ones from Costco. Last time we were there we got a couple of Cornish game hens (raw, frozen) and we'll probably cook one at a time and eat 1/2 each.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 2,719,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it's pretty easy. For two people we do some variant of this: first meal splt a breast, second meal dark meat over a grain with veggies, third meal chicken tettrazini or pot pie (2 meals each), soup or chili (2 meals), then I pressure cook the heck out of the carcass and give whatever is left to the dogs.
I think StealthRabbit's methods involve substantially smaller portions than this. He's mentioned his ability to get 20 meals out of a rotisserie chicken on several occasions in the past, and I think he may have itemized it out at some point in the past. I'll try to find that post.

Edited to add:

Found some further information, from 9/25/17:

"Only Costco chickens will avail this (bulkier) other stores have thin and wimpy offerings with WAY too much discard.

Using the carcass and scraps alone yields 8 servings of soup
Salads and burritos only use 2-3oz. each.
We just eat the 2 legs as 'direct meat consumption', The rest is thin sliced for sandwiches / crackers and cheese. We usually get 24 - 26 servings / chicken...."

Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I think StealthRabbit's methods involve substantially smaller portions than this. He's mentioned his ability to get 20 meals out of a rotisserie chicken on several occasions in the past, and I think he may have itemized it out at some point in the past. I'll try to find that post.

Edited to add:

Found some further information, from 9/25/17:

"Only Costco chickens will avail this (bulkier) other stores have thin and wimpy offerings with WAY too much discard.

Using the carcass and scraps alone yields 8 servings of soup
Salads and burritos only use 2-3oz. each.
We just eat the 2 legs as 'direct meat consumption', The rest is thin sliced for sandwiches / crackers and cheese. We usually get 24 - 26 servings / chicken...."
I've done the store rotiesserie chickens before and they can be small. And not cooked enough for me. I would end up putting them in the oven for 30 more minutes

So I generally just buy the biggest whole bird they have, spatchcock it or whatever it is called, sprinkle lemon pepper salt and roast it up. Umm - can't wait for colder weather to enjoy.

I made a crockpot of pinto beans today. So yummy. I was going to just eat a bowl, but made chalupas - mmm -

Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 PM

12,266 posts, read 5,376,260 times
I can't believe how little people eat. One cornish hen split in half for two people? It would take 2 of those tiny birds to make one meal for me.
As far as roast chickens go, I buy the largest one I can find raw and roast it myself. It's usually much larger than the small ones found in super markets already cooked. I get two meals out of it because I will eat half a chicken at each meal. Yes, I like to eat.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I can't believe how little people eat. One cornish hen split in half for two people? It would take 2 of those tiny birds to make one meal for me.
As far as roast chickens go, I buy the largest one I can find raw and roast it myself. It's usually much larger than the small ones found in super markets already cooked. I get two meals out of it because I will eat half a chicken at each meal. Yes, I like to eat.
You don't eat any sides with that?

Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 PM

14,116 posts, read 6,757,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That’s what we do, but we usually have 2 vegs and some brown rice. It’s plenty for us. In fact, I like to lose weight, so chicken and fish would do it.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:19 AM

12,266 posts, read 5,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You don't eat any sides with that?
I do eat sides with it but the main part of the meal is the chicken and sides usually a green salad or rice or whatever is available. I guess I have a bigger appetite than most. I usually get my money's worth at buffets as well, but rarely eat there.
I've been the same weight for many years. I guess I burn calories pretty well because of my work. I have a physical job and on my feet all day, constantly moving and lifting. According to the steps recorded on my iphone, I average about 7-8 miles of walking everyday.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 AM

14,116 posts, read 6,757,878 times
That explains it. The more physical job you have, the more you have to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or