U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM

6,661 posts, read 3,457,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Except.

Those farmed fish are ATLANTIC salmon. There are no more wild salmon caught for the market. Wegmen's is telling a tall tale, maybe one they were told.

Now could you know how the wild Atlantic salmon tastes like? Farm-raised ones get their color from dye, not natural.

The only wild salmon the come to the market are Pacific salmon.
British Columbia is in the Pacific, not the Atlantic.
It’s not bogus. A neighbor of ours works in the Wegmans fish department and knows all about the fish farm practices. Wegmans even did its own private testing of the BC farmed fish to see heavy metal levels and if there were any antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 PM

5,032 posts, read 1,019,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
British Columbia is in the Pacific, not the Atlantic.
It’s not bogus. A neighbor of ours works in the Wegmans fish department and knows all about the fish farm practices. Wegmans even did its own private testing of the BC farmed fish to see heavy metal levels and if there were any antibiotics.
What you don't understand is that Pacific Salmon can't be farmed. Only Atlantic ones can be, and they absolutely are being farmed off both Chile and British Columbia. (as well as in Europe)

I've worked on this issue even 20 years ago when I was on the board of the Canadian Wildlife Federation. The issue with farmed salmon was known even back then, the disease, the devastation of the seabed below the farms, the sea lice that transmit to native Pacific salmon, and the escapement, and the Atlantic salmon out-competing the native Pacific salmon to spawning beds.

You truly don't know what you are talking about; this is in my area of expertise. I accept you are getting your information from Wegmen contacts, but they either don't understand the issue either or are misleading you.

I can give you a number of scientific studies that confirm what I am telling you if you need them.

Old Today, 06:08 AM

6,661 posts, read 3,457,158 times
So you are not saying their farms are in the Atlantic Ocean, you are saying they are using Atlantic salmon in their Pacific farms??

Oh, I do know some of the horrors of fish farms, and that was why we started eating the Wegmans salmon. We had stopped eating farmed salmon. I find it hard to believe he would outright lie about their quality control, but he never mentioned they were using Atlantic salmon.

Whole Foods gets its farmed salmon from Norway , Iceland, and Scotland.
They also say they have very high quality and environmental control noted below in link. And Wegmans says it has even higher quality control because they test more independently.
If people do buy farmed salmon, isn’t it better to buy from either of these companies?
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blo...e-foods-market

Old Today, 07:39 AM

34,887 posts, read 34,005,379 times
I don't drink so that eliminates alcohol (or drink coffee) but I get a lot of take out. I also don't eat three meals a day, just usually two, and it's just me so I don't see how it can be compared to your experience, cost-wise. Also, I don't have a regular shopping pattern. I just buy stuff when I need it. I don't keep track of the expense. My big expense is cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or