U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

21,559 posts, read 44,181,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I spend as little as possible for the two of us, selecting healthy options with a few "comfort " foods ( mac &cheese, pasketti, etc.)

We arent fully retired yet, though i am medically retired on SSDI and working ocassionally.

I spend a whole $30/week...yes THIRTY dollars a WEEK ON food at the grocery store.
Wow...I can spend that just for me at the farmer's market in less than 30 minutes. Are you each getting your 5-6 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables a day? I eat a whole grapefruit and a whole apple every day, along with a fresh green salad and steamed veggies - plus fresh fruit (strawberries/blueberries/raspberries) on ice cream or in yogurt several times a week. Fresh fruits/vegetables/salads are critical to health for me. I had a serious illness in my 30's and recovered eating only fresh raw food. Never forgot that lesson. $30/week would be impossible for me - one person. 3x that is more realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

7,869 posts, read 4,820,767 times
What's a "grocery store"?

We always have leftovers from restaurant meals. I use Prime Now once a week to have $50 of staples from Whole Foods delivered to our home. Haven't been to a grocery store since the local Safeway went out of business.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

3,683 posts, read 1,440,945 times
"$30/week would be impossible for me."
well, we do two at 50 per week.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

350 posts, read 115,879 times
To clarify, I am talking about food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. We are also budgeting $400 per month for eating out. Also, if posters could clarify how many people are in their household it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

13,463 posts, read 6,433,987 times
2 in my household for $800 including everything except alcohol. No eating out.

Last edited by NewbieHere; Yesterday at 08:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

4,207 posts, read 2,620,260 times
My post up above was for 2 people ($1100/mo). We eat out maybe 2x month for a total of $200. All my numbers include alcohol.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

21,559 posts, read 44,181,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
About $1100 per month. We eat a lot of organic and try to eat locally raised meat and produce which is a bit more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
2 in my household for $800 including everything except alcohol.
Yes, somewhere between $800-$1,100 for two people sounds about right if you're eating a proper diet. Of course some folks grow great gardens - which I tried many years ago, way too much work for me, but great for the food budget and health benefits. Nothing like fresh picked.

Guess I'm wondering - for those getting by on $30-$50 a week for two people, do you have gardens?

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

13,463 posts, read 6,433,987 times
I have a garden too. I have not including money I pay for those seeds and fruit trees. I buy lots of fresh fruit. Some ready made meals from Costco.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,188,109 times
We spend about $150 per month on staples we can't grow - bulk oats and rice, olive and coconut oils, citrus, raisins, and a few condiments. We drink no alcohol, though I do enjoy a cold beer on hot summer days. Eating out is limited to lobster and other seafood, in summer.

We grow all our own organic fruit and vegetables, and pasture-raise chicken, turkey and pork. For the first time, we are raising beef steers, but haven't yet had one processed. We get so many eggs and milk/ butter / cream that we sell some, or give it away.

Our 3 German Shepherds do not eat dog food. They get fresh meat, liver, eggs, milk and are very healthy. We do purchase cleaning and paper products, but I'm unsure of the cost, as the wife orders that stuff.

I did not see any other responses from seniors who raise their own food, so I felt it would be a good basis for comparison. If you can grow anything at all yourself, I would encourage you. The stuff in the grocery stores tastes like cardboard by comparison.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

15,239 posts, read 31,256,241 times
Two in our household plus two cats. I spend an average of $175 per week for food, wine, pet supplies and toiletries. Sometimes a little more. I also spend about $75 on various supplements or specialty items. This does not include meals out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or