U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

18,838 posts, read 9,703,314 times

Advertisements

About $1500/mo for 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

356 posts, read 453,984 times
An average of about $650/month for 2 adults. I vary my shopping locations as I know what items I can get cheapest. Lots Of produce and prepared frozen stuff. Also, no meat, which is why it’s probably cheaper. Tempeh and beans is way cheaper than a pound of ground beef.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

31,931 posts, read 20,133,803 times
We are 2 people and 2 large dogs. We don't buy much booze at all, and rarely eat out (I like to cook). We buy almost no prepared foods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

6,395 posts, read 5,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
To clarify, I am talking about food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. We are also budgeting $400 per month for eating out. Also, if posters could clarify how many people are in their household it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
OK - you made it sound like only food.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

We are two adults. Eight dogs. Who knows how many cats

So who knows how much we spend a month on all that nonsense

2K would be reasonable.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

21,559 posts, read 44,181,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you can grow anything at all yourself, I would encourage you. The stuff in the grocery stores tastes like cardboard by comparison.
So much truth to this. Many years ago, I spent a week in San Diego and couldn't believe the fabulous taste of the salads and fruit in the restaurants there as opposed to the produce I bought here in WI. When I returned home, I was soooo frustrated with our tasteless produce. I will say the organic produce bought today at my local coop has far superior flavor and shelf-life than produce bought at other stores. I never buy nonorganic produce anymore. I really can taste the difference.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So much truth to this. Many years ago, I spent a week in San Diego and couldn't believe the fabulous taste of the salads and fruit in the restaurants there as opposed to the produce I bought here in WI. When I returned home I was soooo frustrated with our tasteless produce. I will say the organic produce bought today at my local coop has far superior flavor and shelf-life than produce bought at other stores. I never buy nonorganic produce anymore. I really can taste the difference.
I used to grow all sorts of things.

I would also can and dehydrate. This year i only grew tomatoes. I will tolerate store tomatoes, but homegrown is one thing i can not live without. The flavor - OMG

Hopefully i will snap back into doing more gardening. Homegrown lettuce, corn, okra, cucumbers, peppers,

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
For a retired couple, how much do you spend on food and alcohol each month, excluding eating out? We are struggling to stay within $700 per month, which seems like a lot, although we often host friends and family. Just curious what others are spending. Thanks!
Do you buy anything at places like Costco or Sams?

Since i have a lot of dogs, we get our wee-wee pads at Sams

They are house broken but you can't be too careful. A box of 120 pads is about 15 dollars. Those last a long time.

You could also buy paper towels and TP there. We go through a lot of paper towels, so it is cheaper for us to get them at SAMS. No costco close to us.

I mop daily because of the dogs. Used to buy american products. Now we get the huge bottle of Fabuloso. Also a 3pack container of bleach. Need lots of bleach if you have pets.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

21,559 posts, read 44,181,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I would also can and dehydrate. This year i only grew tomatoes. I will tolerate store tomatoes, but homegrown is one thing i can not live without. The flavor - OMG
Oh, indeed. The tomatoes. The only place to get them is your own backyard - or, if you're lucky - a good grower at the farmer's market. We have two farmer's markets not far from where I live, but I don't get there often these days. Even at the local organic coop, the tomatoes are third-rate.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, indeed. The tomatoes. The only place to get them is your own backyard - or, if you're lucky - a good grower at the farmer's market. We have two farmer's markets not far from where I live, but I don't get there often these days. Even at the local organic coop, the tomatoes are third-rate.
I love to grow different varities of cherry tomatoes. Gold, red, almost purple, yellow. They look beautiful in a salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or