U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 615,259 times

Advertisements

I buy all paper products, cleaning supplies, cat litter & cat food, and toiletries once a month which runs around $75. Monthly food grocery items run around $435/month, take out $120/month, and going out to eat maybe $150/month.

We may or may not have a drink when we go out to dinner, but since we don't drink at home don't purchase any alcohol unless I need some wine to add into something I will be cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:28 AM

104 posts, read 194,840 times
We spend between $450-500/month on food and cleaning supplies. We spend about $75 on booze, and $150 on eating out.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

31,943 posts, read 20,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
There are small indy owned restaurants that you can get the lunch special, tax, tip, for $10.

The best breakfasts are in diners and those are never more than $10.

In YOUR area. There is not really any food out there for $10 bucks that I would go eat in ours. A fast food combo is in that range.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 06:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 668,724 times
There are two of us. I have no idea how much I spend. Some weeks I spend alot, because I load up, on sale`s, such as meat, chicken, ect. I also shop a few times a week....produce.
I think prices across the country, are different. It would help, if posters who say how much they spend, would sat where they are from.

Old Today, 06:51 AM

274 posts, read 105,231 times
The budget for groceries (including alcohol and eating out along with paper products) is $750 per month. We frequently have guests over to use the swimming pool, so the beer fridge gets hit harder this time of year.

We went over the budget one month this year, but I was stocking up on meat that was at a good sale price. The remaining months we've been far under budget.

Old Today, 07:03 AM

1,720 posts, read 602,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In YOUR area. There is not really any food out there for $10 bucks that I would go eat in ours. A fast food combo is in that range.
Same here.

I just took a look at my local diner's menu online. The least expensive breakfast option would be Two Eggs served with home fries and toast for $6.35. Adding bacon, ham or sausage brings it up to $9.25 and if you want a small (7 oz) glass of juice that's another $2.45.

All wraps and omelets are between $10 and $12 each. Eggs Benedict $10.25. Three pancakes $7.25.

As for lunches, the cheapest wrap is a BLT for $9.95. All the others are between $11.95 and $14.95. Entree lunch salads all between $12.95 and $15.95. All burgers between $11.25 and $13.95

Then add sales tax at 8.625% and also a tip of between 15% and 20% and the only way to get breakfast for less than $10 would be the 2 eggs/fries/toast at $6.35 and nothing else.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; Today at 07:21 AM..

Old Today, 07:10 AM

1,720 posts, read 602,490 times
By the way, I didn't realize that the original question was meant to include things other than food; my bad. When I originally set up my expense tracker sheet I made separate line items for Food, Restaurants, and Miscellaneous which is the category that any non-food items such as paper products goes into.

So my low-$200s range does not include anything except edibles.

Sometimes the supermarket (Stop & Shop, in my case) is less expensive for paper towels and toilet paper but sometimes Target is better. Those things are the only non-food items I buy at the supermarket though. Conversely the only food item I buy at Target is Quaker Oatmeal because their regular price is always $1.50 less than the supermarket.

Old Today, 07:37 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,832,361 times
Two people...groceries, dog food, household cleaning supplies = tad over 1K month.

Old Today, 08:01 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,098,352 times
Much,much less than most people here. One person, no pets. I don't buy meat, soda, juice, most prepared foods. Rarely eat out, never fast food. Alcohol, maybe one glass of wine every two weeks. I get the Oak Leaf Moscato, $2.96 at WM. Everyone who has tried it likes it.
I don't drink milk as a beverage, I get a quart of whole milk about once a week for coffee. Almond milk or similar for cereal.

I volunteer at a food shelf so I get my produce there. One or two carrots, one pepper, etc. If I bought it by the bag in a grocery, it would go bad before I could use it all. I give them a cash donation every month. I get my bread there too, there is always a surplus, so my taking a loaf means the pig farmer gets a bit less.

I do buy coffee and tea (the good stuff, not the cheapest), frozen vegetables, cheese, cereal, oatmeal, and a few other things.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

2,506 posts, read 948,821 times
Our weekly food shopping bill, without eating out added in, is roughly $350. But both my girls ate home for the summer. Once they're both off at college, my wife and I should cut that down to $150 a week. But that's just shopping at our local supermarket.
We also hit up the farmers market for approximately 40-50 bucks a week. All year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or