U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:28 AM
JRR

3,705 posts, read 2,244,235 times

Advertisements

We spent $325 at the grocery stores in July for the two of us. This has been an eye opener for me as to how little we spend compared to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:53 AM

517 posts, read 309,724 times
No booze here. No eating out either. Grocery store FOOD items only: Hovers right at $200.00 per month. Single person

Old Today, 08:55 AM

9,140 posts, read 17,211,588 times
Just looked my Average Grocery for the last 12 months was about $80/week.

This include Snacks for my 6yo nephew who I watch after school most days, and My Adult Son who was living here for around 6 months.

So Me + The Stuff Above.... $80/week.

Grocery include all the Stuff you normally buy there. Some Personal Care items, PaperGood, Cleaning Goods etc.

Old Today, 09:03 AM

26,135 posts, read 33,136,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
For a retired couple, how much do you spend on food and alcohol each month, excluding eating out? We are struggling to stay within $700 per month, which seems like a lot, although we often host friends and family. Just curious what others are spending. Thanks!
I live alone but I know what the BF spends. I spend about $150 - $200 a month at the grocery store...but some of that is at his house. He might spend another 100 a month. No alcohol.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,994 posts, read 54,752,819 times
We spend 100-120 at Costco twice a month, though some of that is not food, but things like toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent. Then maybe another hundred at various other stores such as Safeway and Trader Joe's to pick up a few things during the month. Probably not more than $400/month for the two of us. Having a Foodsaver and a big freezer helps. For example Costco had a great price on a large package of Dover Sole, I vacuum packed it into portions for 6 dinners, at just about $3/dinner for two.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

13,113 posts, read 13,726,161 times
i am one person and my grocery expenses are $22 a week or $95 a month.
no alcohol. no eating out. when family visits and i treat them to eat out that comes from a different fund.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Today at 10:04 AM..

Old Today, 10:44 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,511,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
No booze here. No eating out either. Grocery store FOOD items only: Hovers right at $200.00 per month. Single person
I'm pretty much the same, however, I will have a fast-food meal every few weeks. An Egg McMuffin when I'm headed out on a road trip or maybe a Taco Bell $5.00 meal special, (and with the veteran's discount they give me, just over $4.50 including tax). Don't do this often because I'm watching my weight.

"Fancy" meals out with someone else fall into the entertainment budget, not the food budget.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Today, 10:48 AM

1,113 posts, read 535,383 times
About $500/mo for a single person. Includes alcohol and household stuff like toilet paper, cleaners etc. way too much. I buy a lot of prepared foods, and hardly ever eat out any more, so I guess that’s my excuse.....

Old Today, 10:51 AM

1,374 posts, read 668,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Two people...groceries, dog food, household cleaning supplies = tad over 1K month.
Wow....You must really be from The Outer Limits.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

3,115 posts, read 1,057,836 times
My son is grown so now it's just me and my cat. I'm doing Intermittent Fasting, so I only eat once a day. Regarding eating out, it's always with family or on a date, so I don't pay. Food is around $300/month and non-food (cleaning & paper products, cat food and the like) is around $100.

No meat, eggs or dairy (vegan). No alcohol in the house as it makes me sick.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; Today at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or