Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not even, in our case it is just a high cost of living area.
Reading these posts informs me that I must be the world's biggest spendthrift. I spend 1000 a month easy. That does not include meals out. I am feeding 3 cats. That's 100 a month.

I didn't drink a drop until around 50. And I thought anybody who did was going straight to hell and was a rotten mother. I got over that. SO the wine bill is also 100 a month.

July we spent 461 on restaurants. But grandson was here with his fiancé. At Costco, Kroger and Sprouts $736.

I can see some cutting back is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
About $150 a week. My autistic son lives with us. He eats like his dad used. I guess I'm being paid back for what I did to my dads grocery bill.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Reading these posts informs me that I must be the world's biggest spendthrift. I spend 1000 a month easy. That does not include meals out. I am feeding 3 cats. That's 100 a month.

I didn't drink a drop until around 50. And I thought anybody who did was going straight to hell and was a rotten mother. I got over that. SO the wine bill is also 100 a month.

July we spent 461 on restaurants. But grandson was here with his fiancé. At Costco, Kroger and Sprouts $736.

Absolutely not!!! Once I get to a lower cost of living area, I plan on spending the same..... I'll just upgrade the quality.

As long as your not incurring debt, if it makes you happy... it is well worth the price.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Absolutely not!!! Once I get to a lower cost of living area, I plan on spending the same..... I'll just upgrade the quality.

As long as your not incurring debt, if it makes you happy... it is well worth the price.
Interestingly enough, I feel I get better quality in fresh food at the local fruit/vegetable stand, and much reduced prices. The standards are the same no matter what brand you put on it. Eggs are often under $1/dozen at Aldi's, and certainly I'm not going across the street to Publix to by eggs for 2.69. An egg is an egg. Same for milk, oatmeal, bananas etc.

I buy virtually no processed food except peanut butter, but only the one that doesn't add anything. For that I have to use Kraft, as Aldi's has additives. I sometimes will buy specialty cheeses like Stilton, and that you have to pay for, but I have a Cheese specialty store near my place which is very competitive and I like supporting them.

Aldi's schtick is that they only carry about 1400 SKU items, where as a Publix or Walmart will carry over 20,000 SKU items. So, it's not that you get what you pay for, you get what you shop for. But then, I'm the guy who hasn't bought a new car since I was 21... the frugal streak runs deep. It allows me a nice lifestyle on a smaller income.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:20 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Probably more tomahawk steaks.

I would prefer more grass fed beef, organic milk and such. I will be eating bushels of berries. Lots and lots of locally raised and grown stuff. After eating produce shipped 2500 miles, I would like everything FRESH.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2019, 08:41 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
OMG those prices are..... insane. A head of ice berg lettuce was over $5 at the store when I needed one.

A bunch of radishes was 4.99.

Can't wait to move!!!
Yep.

Those prices are nowhere nearly as low here. Unless you're buying cheap, pre-packaged bologna, bologna is more expensive than ground turkey breast here.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,355,398 times
I go to Aldi occasionally here in Germany, and also made some shopping trips to Aldi when I lived in Southern California. The one downside is they have a lot of fruit or veggie items wrapped in plastic with a bar code. This speeds up their cash register process because there is no weighing bags of loose produce. Some larger items like squash are priced by quantity "each" instead of weight to speed up the checkout process, and that's OK with me. Trader Joe's, owned by Aldi, is pretty much the same story.

I shop for just myself, and buy just a few items at a time, not a big quantity. I prefer to pick out what I want, but can't do that much at Aldi. There are several middle eastern produce markets near the Aldi here in Leipzig, and they are loaded with fresh, loose quantity produce at really good prices. My other constraint is a very small refrigerator, about the size of an under counter fridge. But I have adapted to that, and the upside is buying small quantities of fresh food minimizes spoiled food because I consume what I buy within a few days. Avoiding spoiled fresh food saves on grocery bills, because I am not tossing that old food in the bio waste bin. Since I'm retired, I have time to make frequent grocery store visits!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What fees? I get money back by shopping there. I’m thinking of getting another freezer, I don’t have enough space in my freezer, two fridges here.
We are close enough to Costco to buy our gasoline there. With the Costco charge card and what we save on gasoline more than pays for the card. Plus that $2-400 rebate check every year, the membership pays for itself.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Not at all. Are you financially comfortable spending that much? That is the important thing not what others spend. They don’t have your taste or interest in food quality or type.

We spend a lot. Don’t know how much as we have a savings based budget. Even my wife now prefers prime cut so when we shop for meats that is the target. Thank you Costco!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What fees? I get money back by shopping there. I’m thinking of getting another freezer, I don’t have enough space in my freezer, two fridges here.
Bada Bing gotta love us some Costco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement