U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:46 AM

10,329 posts, read 12,340,924 times

Advertisements

Uncle was the CEO of a billion dollar company, worked there his whole career (41 years). Retired at 60, dead by 71.

Mansion, private jets, yachts, he had it all. Didn't feel good one night, checked into a local hospital and died the next day. He had a good 11 years of retirement.

It happens folks. So for all the people eating cans of beans to save money and driving beater cars keep that in mind, life is a journey but nobody knows when it will end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:58 AM

1,033 posts, read 1,428,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
People rarely change from how they are during the working years .

To many, having money represents financial security , power , independence, comfort ...they like money for the sake of having it ,not for the things money can buy...they love looking at their net worth sheet.

Others like money for spending , they want more to spend more

Others like my old boss likes the art of the deal ...he has a company doing 100 million a year yet he is motivated by deals and buying more companies .

To each his own. My dad lived in a really nice assisted living place for 4 years with Alzheimers. My perspective is somewhat skewed because of it. If nothing else, I intend to have some pretty cool stories to tell if and when I end up there. And none of them will involve money.

Old Today, 08:03 AM

469 posts, read 87,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What a shame he didn't/couldn't retire sooner.
It depends. If you like what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. And, one reason people die in retirement (besides getting old) is they no longer feel productive and they get depressed. I see people still working even though they don't need to. I asked them; they tell me things like "I tried fishing, I tried golf....didn't do anything for me.." So they take on jobs maybe in the same industry but in a lower stress position. Engineering directors or managers might now serve as contractors 20-30 hours a week doing the lower level, technical work they enjoyed earlier in their careers.

Older Americans are dying "deaths of despair" not only from just "sitting around" they're also experiencing huge demographic changes which runs counter to their upbringing. So some, the message they're getting is "It's your fault, you are guilty, you caused the problems." I know this is off topic but whenever I read about someone dying young, this comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ntgGOiW8A

Old Today, 09:07 AM

2,285 posts, read 2,435,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
So?

What is your point?

I died at work in the '90s, after 7mins 40 secs they were successful the 4th time shocking my heart, but had it not worked, i would not be here. (Anaphylactic shock due to allergic reaction to a sulfa antibiotic resulting in my heart stopping and death). So I'm already on "borrowed time ".

My 30 yr old cousin was murdered in a holdup.

My best friend's son hanged himself at age 24.

My mother passed at age 59 from a devastating disease.

None of them got to retire or collect SS.

The ONLY guarantee in life IS......death will come. Sooner or later will all depend.

Hey Mary Sunshine, who peed in your corn flakes?

Old Today, 09:16 AM

26,131 posts, read 33,136,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.

Time waits for no man.
**** happens. Iím not cutting my self short on long odds.

Old Today, 09:21 AM

I got laid off at 58. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was like winning the lottery.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,571,734 times
These fast food double bacon wrapped hamburgers full of cheese and french fries it's a wonder you make it out of the place.
I got a stent 2 years ago and now try to eat heart healthy. it's not easy.
I wonder if all these people with heart attacks have a history of eating badly?
My friend died recently of a heart attack, he seemed to strive to eat as unhealthy as possible. If I said anything he looked at me like I'm nuts.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

469 posts, read 87,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I got laid off at 58. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was like winning the lottery.
My goal is to retire at 97. I'll have the HR lady wheel me out to the paratransit van to then go commit a white collar crime and be sentenced to the geriatric block at beautiful, warm and sunny Mens Penal Colony at San Luis Obispo where I'll get free medical and dental, play shuffleboard, work in a garden, have a wood shop, use the Wifi, drink coffee with other old timers. Sure beats buying LTC care insurance or spending down my assets.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

150 posts, read 74,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
People rarely change from how they are during the working years .

To many, having money represents financial security , power , independence, comfort ...they like money for the sake of having it ,not for the things money can buy...they love looking at their net worth sheet.

Others like money for spending , they want more to spend more

Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
These fast food double bacon wrapped hamburgers full of cheese and french fries it's a wonder you make it out of the place.
I got a stent 2 years ago and now try to eat heart healthy. it's not easy.
I wonder if all these people with heart attacks have a history of eating badly?
My friend died recently of a heart attack, he seemed to strive to eat as unhealthy as possible. If I said anything he looked at me like I'm nuts.
My buddy in the bay area ate, drank, and smoked. Went in for routine surgery at 56. Had a heart attack two weeks later. Had another heat attack a month after that. Five weeks in a coma.

He was 100 % disabled for two years, then he died at 58. His ex wife, kid, and parents were shocked he died so young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or