U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,441,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That was a picture years ago, because the picture with the car he looks much older.
Nobody peed in my cereal today.
Here's a more recent picture. Happy now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

3,238 posts, read 4,226,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.

Time waits for no man.
Or, one could say that he WON.

He will never have to feel useless. He won't have to feel unwanted, and ridiculed by his grandchildren (as old men often are). He will not have to spend years, or decades, watching his body deteriorate, and his capacities wane.

He will not have to worry about the Medical Industry bankrupting him and his family, and wringing every possible cent from his being - keeping him alive (probably against his will) and in agony, for a protracted period of time.

He will not have to learn all the acronyms and cutesy lingo which go with all the diagnoses and treatments the Medical Industry has dreamed-up.

He will not have to experience the humiliations and constraints (and diminished buying power) of old age.

And what a wonderful way to go! ...in his sleep, without pain or anxiety.

I should be so lucky.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

1,030 posts, read 402,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's precisely that we don't know that motivates me to want to retire as early as possible. I want my last days, months, years to be without living in the rat race I call work. I want to spend some time without the stress, relaxing and doing things I enjoy. I don't wish to die without that experience.
That's my life now...and I still work. Yes, I'm extremely fortunate. I hope you find what you're looking for when you retire!

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 402,267 times
Quote:
Here's a more recent picture. Happy now?
Did you forget your pants? Shorts?

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

13,506 posts, read 6,448,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Did you forget your pants? Shorts?

I was thinking of small hands, haha. But it’s definitely cranky old man with no pants.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

12,865 posts, read 14,163,506 times
Quote:
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.

Time waits for no man.
He died in his sleep. Better than anything else that didn't happen, added to which he couldn't give a flying fart about what he didn't get.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,830,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Or, one could say that he WON.

He will never have to feel useless. He won't have to feel unwanted, and ridiculed by his grandchildren (as old men often are). He will not have to spend years, or decades, watching his body deteriorate, and his capacities wane.

He will not have to worry about the Medical Industry bankrupting him and his family, and wringing every possible cent from his being - keeping him alive (probably against his will) and in agony, for a protracted period of time.

He will not have to learn all the acronyms and cutesy lingo which go with all the diagnoses and treatments the Medical Industry has dreamed-up.

He will not have to experience the humiliations and constraints (and diminished buying power) of old age.

And what a wonderful way to go! ...in his sleep, without pain or anxiety.

I should be so lucky.
I what bizarre, negative world you live in.

I'm 59, been retired fully for 3 years now. Don't feel useless for a second. And if my grand kids were to ridicule me, their parents would nip that in the bud right away. My kids were raised well enough that they're raising their kids. My health is still excellent. I exercise everyday. As are my mental faculties. The medical industry comes up with new acronyms and cutesy names because medical research evolves daily. We have very few needs and have saved very well for our futures.

I suppose I'm a glass is half full person. You sound like a glass is empty and cracked type of person. I bet you're fun at parties.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 11 days ago)

1,336 posts, read 440,512 times
My grandfather, father, mother , brother never made it to retirement.

All smokers.

All died of lung cancer.

DONT SMOKE! If you do QUIT NOW

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 617,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
These fast food double bacon wrapped hamburgers full of cheese and french fries it's a wonder you make it out of the place.
I got a stent 2 years ago and now try to eat heart healthy. it's not easy.
I wonder if all these people with heart attacks have a history of eating badly?
My friend died recently of a heart attack, he seemed to strive to eat as unhealthy as possible. If I said anything he looked at me like I'm nuts.

My late husband was a very healthy eater. He ate little if any red meat, no cheese on pizza, no butter or margarine ever, and was very active. His big splurge was a few beers a week. The problem I suspect for him was very bad cardiac genes on both sides of his family.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,441,048 times
Just remember, no one lays on their deathbed and says, gee I wish I spent more time in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or