Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 AM

11,088 posts, read 9,735,285 times

Advertisements

All 3 of my brothers had stents put in before age 55. My eldest brother had his first heart attack at 52, stents were put in then, and he had his second heart attack at 56, and had a 5 way bypass. Despite my being overweight (many years of hypothyroid), my doc says I have no risk factors for heart disease! Yay! All my numbers are excellent, and I recently found out I have a different dad than my brothers, and my bio-dad just had his first heart issues at age 80. So losing my family history of early heart disease and diabetes makes me very happy!

I retired early because I could, and I've been enjoying every day. I didn't want to be that guy in the OP.

I had CPR class every year for 30 years, but I haven't had one now in the last 8 years. I heard they're changing it to compressions only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
One of my kids took the CPR class.

Good to hear that and you should be very proud of their effort!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,320,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
People rarely change from how they are during the working years .

To many, having money represents financial security , power , independence, comfort ...they like money for the sake of having it ,not for the things money can buy...they love looking at their net worth sheet.

Others like money for spending , they want more to spend more

Others like my old boss likes the art of the deal ...he has a company doing 100 million a year yet he is motivated by deals and buying more companies .
Excellent observation- people and their money in a nutshell!

Old 08-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I what bizarre, negative world you live in.

I'm 59, been retired fully for 3 years now. Don't feel useless for a second. And if my grand kids were to ridicule me, their parents would nip that in the bud right away. My kids were raised well enough that they're raising their kids. My health is still excellent. I exercise everyday. As are my mental faculties. The medical industry comes up with new acronyms and cutesy names because medical research evolves daily. We have very few needs and have saved very well for our futures.

I suppose I'm a glass is half full person. You sound like a glass is empty and cracked type of person. I bet you're fun at parties.
Sorry, you don’t have to attack Gloria for expressing an opinion that you don’t share and for trying to find a
“silver lining “ in a bad situation for friends and family of the deceased consolation.
Sounds like you will die healthy, wealthy and optimistic! Good for you.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:12 AM

8,322 posts, read 6,410,155 times
My best friend had a fatal heart attack a month ago. He was a union electrician and made good money. He was real frugal and I am too. He drove a beat up old truck that had been hit on both ends and died with a bunch of unspent money. I can tell I will too. It's hard to spend if you never have.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,743,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Good to hear that and you should be very proud of their effort!!!
I did nothing, she likes to volunteer and therefore she took CPR too.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Just remember, no one lays on their deathbed and says, gee I wish I spent more time in the office.
Or in LTC/nursing home!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,673,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Sorry, you don’t have to attack Gloria for expressing an opinion that you don’t share and for trying to find a
“silver lining “ in a bad situation for friends and family of the deceased consolation.
Sounds like you will die healthy, wealthy and optimistic! Good for you.
Sorry you were offended. I can't find a "silver lining" in death. Additionally, the poster has an extraordinarily pessimistic approach to "life and aging".

Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sorry you were offended. I can't find a "silver lining" in death. Additionally, the poster has an extraordinarily pessimistic approach to "life and aging".
Don’t worry: it takes a lot more to “ offend” me, just felt bad for a lady!

Old 08-01-2019, 11:06 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,632,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.
Sorry for your loss.

The good news is he never knew he never got one day of retirement or one penny of SS. Thus, he was never disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement