Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
A wise man once said, nobody lays on their deathbed and says, gee I wish I spent more time in the office.
For me this saying works, but to everyone it's a different story. Some people love their work and as soon as they retire, they lose their sense of identity. Or maybe, without that income, they're not satisfying their needs or their family's needs. People work to survive, pay the bills, elevate their family's standard of living.

I don't use this saying anymore. We all have a life to live and have to decide how to navigate it. For me, it was to build up the largest nest egg, live beneath my means without trying to sacrifice too much as far as quality of life, and retire as soon as I was able to enjoy the final chapters of my life the best way I knew possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 06:01 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.

Time waits for no man.
Sad but true.

A guy at my pub in WA state put in 28 years with a good pension.

Retired. Talked about things he was going to do and places he was going to go.

Died in bed of a heart attack 8 months after
Retiring.

the system conditions Americans to live in the present for the future.

Doing what you want to do sooner than later in life is a good idea.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
One of the keys to a successful retirement is living in a paid off house in a low tax area of the country.
Rep- would you share what state you decided on - only for my selfish interests. Always looking for a place like you describe.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
So?

What is your point?

I died at work in the '90s, after 7mins 40 secs they were successful the 4th time shocking my heart, but had it not worked, i would not be here. (Anaphylactic shock due to allergic reaction to a sulfa antibiotic resulting in my heart stopping and death). So I'm already on "borrowed time ".

My 30 yr old cousin was murdered in a holdup.

My best friend's son hanged himself at age 24.

My mother passed at age 59 from a devastating disease.

None of them got to retire or collect SS.

The ONLY guarantee in life IS......death will come. Sooner or later will all depend.

I think the OP's point is if you like to retire early, do it, don't wait until 65. If you like your job, and you can work as long as you like, that's okay. If you don't like your job, it gives you too much stress (stress can cause stroke or heart attack too), retire early if you can afford it. Don't wait. You never know that you live today, but you may die to morrow. Why work hard for so many years (talking average of 25 - 60 years old, that is 35 years working), and you cannot enjoy your life the way you want?

So many people work so hard and save, save, save for their retirement, and boom, they die before the retirement age at 65 set by the government. So sad.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I think the OP's point is if you like to retire early, do it, don't wait until 65. If you like your job, and you can work as long as you like, that's okay. If you don't like your job, it gives you too much stress (stress can cause stroke or heart attack too), retire early if you can afford it. Don't wait. You never know that you live today, but you may die to morrow. Why work hard for so many years (talking average of 25 - 60 years old, that is 35 years working), and you cannot enjoy your life the way you want?

So many people work so hard and save, save, save for their retirement, and boom, they die before the retirement age at 65 set by the government. So sad.
On the other hand many others hit the retirement road to soon, don’t die and find themselves broke and alive 10-15years later. That thinking to some is comparable to the 35 year old saying why worry about retirement I could be dead before then.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

I think OP was gloating.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i never heard anyone say i wish i spent more time in retirement or i wish i saved less either . the discussions tend to be a whole lot different at that point . but it still sounds good to say .
I'm sure no one would say they wished they'd "saved less" but I bet many have said they wish they had been able to "do more". Hence having a "bucket list".

But yeah, that's not the type of conversations one has in their last moments with loved ones. Maybe if they are alone...and reminiscing.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think OP was gloating.
I never met the guy, and I was lamenting his death. For me, if I died without ever being retired or collecting social security, I'd feel cheated and be pissed off.

I never lived to work. I worked to live (and hated all of it).

Being retired and doing what I want, when I want is the payoff.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM

305 posts, read 241,145 times
Default Ozarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Rep- would you share what state you decided on - only for my selfish interests. Always looking for a place like you describe.

I live west of Springfield, Mo in a county called Lawrence, lots of rural counties around here. If you look you can find fixer upper country places.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:00 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm sure no one would say they wished they'd "saved less" but I bet many have said they wish they had been able to "do more". Hence having a "bucket list".

But yeah, that's not the type of conversations one has in their last moments with loved ones. Maybe if they are alone...and reminiscing.
There’s a middle ground. I didn’t deny myself anything my whole adult life. I’ve always skied 60+ days per winter. I’ve always had beach, sailing, boating, and bicycling in the summer. I’ve traveled all over the world. I’ve done many things in my 20s, 30s, and 40s that I physically couldn’t do at age 65. I’ve taken lengthy periods of time off to travel and recharge. I got to spend a summer with my father before he got dementia. I’m not going to have a 1%er retirement but it’s not like I have a huge bucket list because I lived like a miser my whole adult life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement