U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

23,833 posts, read 17,744,737 times

Advertisements

I don't know many corporate employees who want to do this. One guy on our team is 66. He seems to enjoy the work.

People like doctors and small business owners tend to derive more purpose from their work than back office workers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

15,791 posts, read 26,871,538 times
I know have known, plenty of people here at the Hospital that have worked later in life. One woman retired after 36 years here. What I didn't know was that she didn't start working here until she was 46. She sure didn't look like she was in her early 80's.

Another woman that works in our business office is in her 70's. I asked when she planned on retiring and she says she likes the money too much. Her home was paid off years ago. She outlived her husband. Is very active in the RV community. Rides around on her Honda Gold Wing trike. She is having the time of her life and loves to have a job to come to.

We have had a couple 50+ year employees. One retired at 71. He started here when he was 19. Another is still here. She is about to hit 52 years in February. Not sure how old she is. She outlived two husbands so far, although the first husband past away in his 40's. She doesn't have plans to slow down anytime soon. They used to have a pension here and for those employees that participated in the pension they were allowed to continue receiving the benefit. She is our last pension recipient and could have retired a long time ago. She always says she loves hanging out with the younger workers.

One of the guys in my department planned on retiring a couple years ago and is still here. He is down to 3 days a week and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon. he is another one that does not need the money. Before coming here he retired from Texaco and has a nice retirement from them as well as being heavily invested in the stock.

My dad retired back in 2001 and although he has not worked for someone he has kept busy. His garage is turned into a carpenter shop. He has been building furniture and lots of other things ever since they moved to Arizona in 2003. He also wrote two books. At 81 years old he has slowed down but still stays busy. He says the key to a long life is to stay busy with some project or another.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

195 posts, read 115,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I retired last October at 60 and don't miss work a bit. I finally have the time to do projects around the house in a leisurely manner, ski during the week when it's not busy, play disc golf , ride the motorcycle, take the wife on a jeep ride top off (the jeep). I hit the gym 5 mornings a week and can give the dog plenty of attention.
Thanks for clearing that up, lol!

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

32,206 posts, read 36,816,104 times
I see a lot of small business self employed people like Lawyers, Real Estate agents, Accountants, Shop owners ...

People who have built a business and either selectively choose their clients or maybe have a family member do the hard work and they just kind of work as they want.

If you've worked your life building a business no need to walk away if you can work a few hours a day or as you'd like and make a little money on the side.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

1,504 posts, read 1,199,241 times
I retired at my FRA. Corporate job, I enjoyed my work, but that's about all I did. Now I have time for hobbies, friends and myself.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

9,450 posts, read 6,320,089 times
I worked until 70 because I loved it, not because I needed the money. I'd still be working if I could get two to six week vacation slots. At this age we love our vacations more

Haven't looked back since

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

326 posts, read 163,059 times
We ran into a couple that live in our neighborhood when we were out to dinner last week. She was in real estate and told us she had just retired this year at 80! Her husband is 75 and still works part time at Sea World. They both look fantastic.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,964,239 times
When you do what you like, you are already retired.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

175 posts, read 104,385 times
I continue to work for the health insurance.

Old Today, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 7,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I went much longer in a military career than most people do. For some of us, as you get towards the end of your lives, the priorities are a bit different. I got a few good (albeit stressful) twilight postings but these were opportunities to give back a little from an organization that shaped me and gave me immense opportunities and some great years, friends, memories and so on. It's easy to do 30 and pack your bags, but for me I was tempted to pass on a lot of what I had learned to the very young and different officers of today. They will use some of it, some of them will. If I just take everything I learned with me and go home, that's OK too but some lessons were brutally hard and I saw a lot of changes and saw some cycles forming which make it reasonably easy to predict certain things. I stayed a long time, that's for sure. I owe this country for the life I've had, and I appreciate the people many decades ago who took the time to help me learn the things I needed to learn, and the most important thing is to never stop learning. When you're young all you seem to worry about is making money and bills, and getting your degree. Later, other things matter. Every year seems longer than the last, and I don't regret one minute of any of them. I m glad they asked me to stay so long. It's good to be home though.

What a thoughtful post. Thank you for serving your country. If I ever meet you in person please let me have the honor of buying you a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or