U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

748 posts, read 1,582,532 times

Advertisements

Who chooses to work past age 67? | ScienceNordic

I was surprised by this article. Not many people site money as a factor. I find that surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

72,240 posts, read 72,198,066 times
I work one day by choice .... more than 4 years now

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

497 posts, read 99,718 times
"Internal motivation seems to play an important role. People who experience work as very important earlier in life often still have a great desire to work when they’re older,” says Hellevik."

Yep.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

10,548 posts, read 8,817,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
"Internal motivation seems to play an important role. People who experience work as very important earlier in life often still have a great desire to work when theyre older, says Hellevik."

Yep.
What if work is fun, too? I retired from work at 74 because I thought retirement might be more fun than retirement at work. I was wrong. I needed the work to have fun.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 33,144,896 times
I expect that my BF will. He is 54 and although he has almost 5 years in his pension plan, he does not contribute to any other savings ( as far as I know). Even though he might retire from his current position before 67, I would expect that as long as he is able, he will be working at some sort of job. That’s his nature.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,748 posts, read 40,156,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Who chooses to work past age 67? | ScienceNordic

I was surprised by this article. Not many people site money as a factor. I find that surprising.
That is a 'nice' surprise.

I would expect that in the context of this article (not surveying the 'needy' who are too busy working to comment)

(nordic population = more services for those who need it, better social structure for families / community support)

For the millions of USA and other seniors who are working to support their 'unexpected care' for grandkids, ill spouse, aged parents, medical fee induced poverty...My Kudos to them.

For those engaged in enjoyable work and service, (paid or volunteering) great! Thanks.

Retire early, Retire often.
If you must (or desire) return to employment, I'm glad there are often jobs to support that.

Personally... I would suggest retiring for the 20 yrs when the kids are home. Go back to work if you must (or desire).
YMMV

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

6,507 posts, read 3,488,823 times
I will work past 67 because of money.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

3,118 posts, read 1,060,827 times
I just turned 69 and am self-employed with no plans to quit. Actually work a lot: online business, private teaching, freelancing. Watch what I eat and take a short nap in the afternoon, so I'm good.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 2,696 times
I could see myself working at that age part time and probably seasonal work but I couldn't imagine working full time.

Last edited by Dreamingisfree; Yesterday at 11:38 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

4,737 posts, read 10,353,005 times
Uhhhh no thanks.

I’m done as soon as my financial’s tell me I can hang it up. Hopefully at 59 1/2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or