U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,587,193 times

Advertisements

My honey do list requires me to go to the big box stores just about every week. If I am in the middle of a project it might happen several times a week. One of my guilty pleasures is stopping over at the clearance rack in the garden department. I find plants marked down and looking pretty beat up, perhaps with little life left inside them. Just like my best friend who I rescued from the pound, I always see one or two that I cant resist and bring them home. I have a huge potting bench under my oak tree where I do the necessary medical triage. I have a section next to the bench that I call the intensive care unit. Every day when I am outside early morning and dusk, I make my rounds on the new patients. I get great joy when I can discharge a former hospice patients and relocate them to new location in my home landscape. I may not have a medical degree, but I have saved many lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

6,383 posts, read 3,621,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
My honey do list requires me to go to the big box stores just about every week. If I am in the middle of a project it might happen several times a week. One of my guilty pleasures is stopping over at the clearance rack in the garden department. I find plants marked down and looking pretty beat up, perhaps with little life left inside them. Just like my best friend who I rescued from the pound, I always see one or two that I cant resist and bring them home. I have a huge potting bench under my oak tree where I do the necessary medical triage. I have a section next to the bench that I call the intensive care unit. Every day when I am outside early morning and dusk, I make my rounds on the new patients. I get great joy when I can discharge a former hospice patients and relocate them to new location in my home landscape. I may not have a medical degree, but I have saved many lives.
I love this! There's so much waste in our culture. It must give a lot of satisfaction and certainly rewards later on.

Chef Daughter is in her Forties and still in the money-making phase of life but every year for a while she'd pick up an extra job working at the Spring nurseries. Then at the end of the season she'd get to scavenge the bedraggled leftovers.

Her home is on a generous plot of land at the outskirts of town with several habitats and over time with the extra work she has managed to make it into a showplace with little expenditure.

And still, for her it's a splurge. She always needs one more.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

3,561 posts, read 1,577,795 times
Probably having a maid and a gardener. Being in a condo, no more yard work. It's a real indulgence not having to clean (and for $3 an hour, why would you?)

My indulgence is just sitting here sipping coffee, looking out at the ocean and the para-sailers touching down. No schedule at all.

DH doesn't have to chop wood anymore for a wood-stove. No heat required here.

But the biggest indulgence is travel. Never expected that in retirement, and it adds such excitement and anticipation. Trade-off of an otherwise low COL.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

2,298 posts, read 2,444,426 times
I splurge on reading the internets, and looking down on people in haughty derision.

Just kidding, I love you guys

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

297 posts, read 85,698 times
Sleep, glorious sleep!

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,327,537 times
I like stealth’s “wanderlust flexibility.” We definitely enjoy being able to change travel plans mid trip. We’ve found fascinating towns in between destinations. Being able to stay up late or get up early to watch the sunrise is aided by our “indulgence” to nap anytime we want. We indulge ourselves frequently dinning out with friends.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

31,980 posts, read 20,158,339 times
Time.

Time to read, time to do hobbies, time to go hiking, time do things better (cooking for a party instead of pre-made appetizers and sliced cheese).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

2,316 posts, read 588,463 times
A door to my home office: $750

A "do not disturb" door hanger: $10

Closing the door to my home office, putting on the "do not disturb" door hanger, turning off my cell phone & house phone, and having a couple hours of peace and quiet so I can focus & do some mathematics: priceless.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

13,554 posts, read 6,457,101 times
Roses and peonies, I’m ordering 50-60 roses, and 10-20 peonies. Do I have room for it? No, but I like buying and dreaming about my roses. It keeps me alive, until I’m bored with it.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

2,465 posts, read 1,692,863 times
Trees and Legos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or