U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:05 AM

624 posts, read 258,431 times

Advertisements

I would say if you are talking about a single, childless person, yes, it could be done. I was a single parent with no child support for many years, with no college degree or post high school training...working low wage jobs and just managing to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and a vehicle running. For single moms in similar circumstances, saving 10% is not so easy. As another poster stated, something always comes up that eats up whatever little amount one has managed to put by. And like others have posted, as I got older, I got my college degree and better paying jobs and began to be able to save, but saying anyone should be able to do so, is not being realistic IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions and Comments View Post
What I always ask people who never saved a dime for a rainy day or retirement is this question: "What if your employer had paid you 10% less, would you have survived?" They think about it and finally answer "yes, I guess so." Maybe people should think long term and pay themselves first and act like they got a job that pays 10% less, so they can save.
10% is a huge percentage of a low income while raising a family.

In running numbers, with such a low income, there is hardly 10% extra to "pay yourself"

When your income just pays your bills, then what do you do, not pay that month to accumulate a late fee?

Any emergency can arise and all you have is the lockbox funds which need to be used.

For most, emergencies arise but you could get lucky

Old Today, 09:33 AM

3,556 posts, read 1,575,843 times
For whatever reason, some of us are just not wired that way. We pay for it later, though.

We were self-employed in my younger years, and just had fun the whole time. We had our own airplane and new Corvette, remodeled our house in our 20s. I hate to admit we saved nothing, but did have equity in our house.

We lived horse-camping in the wilderness for 5 years on next-to-nothing, saving zero. In my 40s, I had 2 $10/hr. jobs. I saved a bit of money and bought an ice-sailing boat for 6k. Crazy.

I was always more interested in having adventures than saving for a rainy day. I have a lot less in retirement now, but a "memory bank" full of wonderful times.

Maybe I wish I'd saved more money, but I never have to regret "If only I'd done (insert experience or adventure here) when I was younger and able". I did everything that came my way except kids.

Not smart or prudent, but lots of fun. And still having a good time despite less retirement money.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

2,383 posts, read 2,405,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
When you have a household income of building up to and ending at $35,000/year you tell me how far that goes to shelter, feed, clothe, educate, and fund some activities for 3 children for 18 years ? Folks in this income situation are lucky to have two nickels to rub together by the time their last kid is out of the house. And even if they can save 10% of their $35,000/year income from say age 50-65 they will be very lucky to have saved $65,000. You sure you didn't add an extra zero by mistake ???
40 years of compounding interest gets you to the $650k figure. I appreciate the not being able to rub two nickels together, but one should adjust family planning decisions to mitigate that.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

6,365 posts, read 4,788,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
......one should adjust family planning decisions to mitigate that.
Where is it written that everyone needs to reproduce and raise kids? That is something many of us limited and in addition postponed until we had established careers and suitable income.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

39 posts, read 5,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You seem both extraordinarily out of touch and fond of asking hypothetical questions.

I don't have any patience with your lack of a clue. I've been poor. I vividly remember what it was like. Every time I got a few dollars ahead, something happened. Car needed new tires, insurance premium went up or had an uninsured medical expense. I didn't have a birth family to loan me money when things got rough or savings to fall back on.

People who don't make much money are always living on the edge.

Old Today, 10:53 AM

31,984 posts, read 20,147,162 times
I always did, and just lived on the rest.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 10:56 AM

2,303 posts, read 585,577 times
I deferred far more than 10% of my gross income each year, and saved far more than 10% of my gross income each year -- that's on top of maximizing my 401K contributions.

Old Today, 10:57 AM

61 posts, read 14,295 times
I think a lot of it has to do with being taught to save. I was taught to pay myself first, so as I grew up part of my paper route money went into savings, and that carried over into adulthood. You don't touch that money, its money you live without. We teach our children the same thing. 10% tithe, 10% invest, and the rest is yours.
That $5000 you invested at 7% from age 18 is worth over $105,000 compounded at age 63. For me it was a taught behavior that I realize many of my peers weren't taught or teach.

Old Today, 11:02 AM
mlb

3,225 posts, read 2,879,370 times
You don’t need money to have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or