U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

31,973 posts, read 20,158,339 times

Advertisements

I was never taught to save, but I did watch my parents massively over spend.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

2,313 posts, read 588,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions and Comments View Post
I run into so many people who are retirement age that tell me they don't have a dime saved...
Yeah, right. Sure you do.

I run into so many people in retirement on cruise ships, in airport lounges, at ski resorts, at art galleries, wine tastings, at celebrity chef restaurants etc. etc. who are affluent, happy, well-traveled, and enjoying retirement.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

27 posts, read 5,689 times
Most people including many poor people just don't know how to manage money. They think because something costs less than $30 they can spend money on it many times and it won't make a difference.

An example: I was at the mall and a new place had opened that served a form of Korean Blue Tea. The place was jammed even though the tea costs over $6 for a small amount. Huge family groups were all in line waiting to buy a fancy tea for everyone, and I saw one family spent over $30.00. Next, we went to a movie where it seemed like everyone got a large drink, a large candy bar, and large popcorn, even small kids. It cost about $30

Yes, $30 is not a lot of money if it is a one-time charge but it is a mentality that opens them up to lots of needless spending that could have been invested.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yeah, right. Sure you do.

I run into so many people in retirement on cruise ships, in airport lounges, at ski resorts, at art galleries, wine tastings, at celebrity chef restaurants etc. etc. who are affluent, happy, well-traveled, and enjoying retirement.
Why the attitude? I know lots of people who just live on small SS checks, and I know lots with good retirement incomes.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

2,313 posts, read 588,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why the attitude? I know lots of people who just live on small SS checks, and I know lots with good retirement incomes.
Perhaps you're right that my attitude in that post is a bit too strong.

OP: Sorry. Too much 'tude on my part.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

195 posts, read 115,367 times
Quote:
An example: I was at the mall and a new place had opened that served a form of Korean Blue Tea. The place was jammed even though the tea costs over $6 for a small amount. Huge family groups were all in line waiting to buy a fancy tea for everyone, and I saw one family spent over $30.00. Next, we went to a movie where it seemed like everyone got a large drink, a large candy bar, and large popcorn, even small kids. It cost about $30
How do you know these people couldn't afford to spend $30 and aren't saving money?

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

4,154 posts, read 3,816,758 times
Yes! I remember living alone and making 18K/yr when I was in my mid 20's, in the late 1980s. I probably was saving at least 20% of what I made. I had to borrow about 5K from my mom to buy my first car (8K) to get to a better job paying 35K. I paid her back in 6 months, because I lived so cheaply. When I was in a 3 year training program that paid me about 35K/yr, I was paying off student loans, and I had saved up about 20K by the end of the 3 yr program, so I guess I was still banking at least 20% of my earnings.

I don't know how people can stand living paycheck to paycheck. Unless you have someone to bail you out, what do you do when you have an unexpected expense?

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

23,833 posts, read 17,744,737 times
Quote:
Most people including many poor people just don't know how to manage money. They think because something costs less than $30 they can spend money on it many times and it won't make a difference.

Yes, $30 is not a lot of money if it is a one-time charge but it is a mentality that opens them up to lots of needless spending that could have been invested.
But that's anywhere you go.

I work in a relatively low income town, but Starbucks is packed every morning. The chain restaurants are full every night.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

I had strict rules. Max 401(k), savings account for emergencies, credit card paid off every month, unless for a trip, and then must be paid off in 3 months, used cars only, drive it into ground. If I got a bonus or tax refund, I could spend half, half went to savings. Emergencies were genuine emergencies, not a new outfit.

Once that was done, rent and entertainment. Meant I had roommates until I got married and bought a home, had old cars, shopped at Ross, cooked at home most of the time. Didn't feel deprived or anything.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

7,913 posts, read 4,845,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
You donít need money to have fun.

No, but it sure opens up a lot more possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or